Help!!! Escape leaking yellow fluid from driverside rear?

Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Help!!! Escape leaking yellow fluid from driverside rear?

Hi Guys,

Noticed a basketball-sized puddle of yellow fluid coming from one of the lines by the driverside rear wheel just in front of the suspension coil. Looks like maybe one of the clamps caused a crack in the line? Leaking right at a clamp..

Anyway, is that brake fluid? and is there anyway I can fix it or do I have to take it to the dealer$hip? It's an '08 FWD Hybrid...

I'm assuming this is a non-warranty issue? Any rough estimates on cost of repair?

Quick responses are much appreciated,

Thank you.

Last edited by JCPerformance; 05-08-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help!!! Escape leaking yellow fluid from driverside rear?

Originally Posted by JCPerformance
Hi Guys,

Noticed a basketball-sized puddle of yellow fluid coming from one of the lines by the driverside rear wheel just in front of the suspension coil. Looks like maybe one of the clamps caused a crack in the line? Leaking right at a clamp..

Anyway, is that brake fluid? and is there anyway I can fix it or do I have to take it to the dealer$hip? It's an '08 FWD Hybrid...

I'm assuming this is a non-warranty issue? Any rough estimates on cost of repair?

Thank you.
Unfortunately, it probably is brake fluid. You'll need to go to the $tealership as only they have the equipment to do the brake bleeding after the leaking line is fixed. I had to have mine bled after replacing front brake hoses and the bleeding was something like $320.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks... This may seem like an obvious question, but are all $tealerships supposed to have the same part and service prices?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JCPerformance
Hi Guys,

Thank you.
Probably unlikely, but that could be your rear a/c line leaking. They put yellow dye in when they charge it at the factory.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:18 AM
Troublemaker

$320 for brake bleeding? Talk about getting bent over. I've replaced the fluid in alot of cars that had ABS with a Mighty Vac. Not sure why it would be so different just because its a hybrid.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FjordHybrid
Probably unlikely, but that could be your rear a/c line leaking. They put yellow dye in when they charge it at the factory.
I was going to mention the rear A/C line, which for some inexplicable reason exits the interior of the vehicle at the left rear wheel well, but I couldn't figure out why in the world it would be yellow for coolant.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lefty
$320 for brake bleeding? Talk about getting bent over. I've replaced the fluid in alot of cars that had ABS with a Mighty Vac. Not sure why it would be so different just because its a hybrid.
You obviously don't know anything about the Ford Escape Hybrid brake system. It DOES require special equipment and knowledge/procedure that normally only the dealer can do.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 AM
Imported from Detroit

It's more of a green than yellow. A dye kit or yellow glasses and the LED light would tell for sure what it is.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

BUT, an A/C leak would be freon and that wouldn't leave a basketball sized puddle on the ground. It would disappear into the air. Or am I wrong about freon.....??

Old 05-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by us035976
BUT, an A/C leak would be freon and that wouldn't leave a basketball sized puddle on the ground. It would disappear into the air. Or am I wrong about freon.....??
When the refrigerant leaks the oil is with it but it boils off when it hits the atmospheric pressure leaving only the oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!! Escape leaking yellow fluid from driverside rear?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands