Hi, need info about using AC/DC plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hi, need info about using AC/DC plugs

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I was just thinking.... the brakes pressure up when you open the door...

Is this being done by the 12v or 300v system???
It is for sure going on without the key!

And one would think it would tend to run via 300 volts...

FYI

One click of the key is ACC... this runs windows, lights, radio, from 12v system. YOU DO NOT have the inverter on with ACC.

Two clicks of the key is RUN... this runs windows, lights, radio, from 300v system. YOU DO have the inverter on with RUN.

Turn farther and you hit start. Release and the key rebounds to run. You do not need to start to use the inverter or activate the big 300v battery.

Turn your headlamps on, and move key to ACC. You will get 12.x volts.
Leave headlamps on, and move key to RUN. You will get 14.x volts.
Engine is off the whole time.

-John
Well... its an electric pump and its for the brakes 12V would probably be plenty. If I were building the thing it would run from the 12V system so the HV system could be disconnected when shes off....

Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Got this from a Ford Guidebook:

The DC/AC inverter converts 12 volts DC to 110 volts AC to power a device that uses AC current
with a rating of less than 150 watts. The power point will automatically shut off if the load exceeds
150 watts. This prevents damage to the inverter or load. The inverter supplies 110 volts AC power
only when the key is in the ON/START position. This reduces the draw on the 12-volt system
when the vehicle is not running. The DC/AC inverter outlet (AC power point) is equipped with a
green light emitting diode (LED) that indicates the system integrity. The green LED illuminates
continuously when the key is in the ON/START position and the system is operating normally. The
green LED flashes constantly if the key is in the ON/START position and a fault is detected. Short
circuits, overloads or overheating of the inverter will cause the green LED to flash and the power
to be cut off to the outlet. If the LED is flashing, the problem must be corrected (e.g., short circuit
or excessive load). If the inverter is overheated, it must be allowed time to cool off (without the
load connected).
The power outlet is not designed for the following electric appliances; they may not work properly:
• Cathode ray tube type televisions
• Motor loads, such as vacuum cleaners, electric saws and other electric power tools,
compressor-driven refrigerators
• Measuring devices, which process precise data, such as medical equipment, measuring
equipment
• Other appliances requiring an extremely stable power supply: microcomputer-controlled electric
blankets, touch sensor lamps

Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Well... its an electric pump and its for the brakes 12V would probably be plenty. If I were building the thing it would run from the 12V system so the HV system could be disconnected when shes off....
The traction battery control module is connected directly to the 12V battery and is the wake up source for the FEH/MMH. When you open the door or cause the dome light to come on with your fob, the brake 12V motor also comes on.

GaryG

Old 03-20-2007, 05:45 AM

The power outlet is not designed for the following electric appliances; they may not work properly:
• Cathode ray tube type televisions
• Motor loads, such as vacuum cleaners, electric saws and other electric power tools,
compressor-driven refrigerators
• Measuring devices, which process precise data, such as medical equipment, measuring
equipment
• Other appliances requiring an extremely stable power supply: microcomputer-controlled electric
blankets, touch sensor lamps
Yeah... thats the typical list one sees for inverters that generate a modified sine wave. Essentially the inverter doesn't create a sine wave output... instead it puts out a step wave that is similar enough to work. Thats pretty typical of inverters, they could clean it up with some RC filtering but that reduces the power output.

It can also be a problem to hook something into such a system that uses a switching power supply (laptops, battery chargers) but frankly I've usually used them without problems in the past, though I haven't tried it with the one in the FEH yet.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

FYI

One click of the key is ACC... this runs windows, lights, radio, from 12v system. YOU DO NOT have the inverter on with ACC.

Two clicks of the key is RUN... this runs windows, lights, radio, from 300v system. YOU DO have the inverter on with RUN.

Turn farther and you hit start. Release and the key rebounds to run. You do not need to start to use the inverter or activate the big 300v battery.

-John
Got it now. Thanks.

If I did want to run a medium sized freezer at a remote site, that has a compressor in it, I wonder if one of those "attached under the hood with clamps" type of inverters could produce the proper clean power for it? What brand and model would I look for?

-Christopher S. Johnson (who has learned quite a bit on this thread)

Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast

A freezer just uses an electric motor to spin the compressor. Most motors will work fine with a decent inverter.

Check the power requirements from the freezer (e.g 1000 watts), then add about 30% for the startup surge current for the motor, and pick up an inverter with that rating. Most 1kw inverters will support 1.3kw for 10-20 seconds. Most inverters specify a startup rating, and a constant rating

However, you should replace the spring clamps to the battery with a direct wired (and fused) connection if you are using more than 4-500 watts from a 12V supply. (1000w/12V = 84Amps, you can get 100A slow-blow fuses from auto supply stores.)

Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Hi All

It's been a while since I posted about a patent Ford has, but now that Ford is discussing plug-in charging more, I thought some of you might be interested in reading about this now. As far as I know, the unit has not been released to the public yet. Anyone heard anymore about this unit?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6724100.html

HEV charger/generator unit
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 6724100

Link to this page:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6724100.html

Abstract:
The present invention provides an apparatus, system, and method of utilizing a Home Power Unit ("HPU") which functions as a battery charger for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle ("HEV") or as a generator, utilizing the HEV's electrical power to operate external electrical devices. In its simplest form, the HPU comprises a Transformer, inverter means, rectifier means, a control unit, connection means to the HEV and external electrical loads or sources and switching means to change operation between charger and generator function. Alternative embodiments of the present invention utilize the HEV's existing components thereby avoiding component redundancy within the HPU. Specifically, in the first alternative embodiment, the inverter means are utilized within the vehicle, therefore, requiring only filter and transformer to be added to the vehicle. In the second alternative embodiment, the vehicle's DC-to-DC Converter is utilized as opposed to implementing a transformer. Therefore, only an inverter and filter are added to the system.

See the patent for a much better understanding.

GaryG

Old 03-25-2007, 05:48 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

You can see the full patent on the USPTO (United States Patent & Trademark Office) website.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...100&RS=6724100

You can use their search engine to find other hybrid patents, Ford hybrid patents, and patents that refer to the subject patent 6724100!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Feral Engineer

Has anyone established how much power could be pulled from a directly-connected-to-the-12v-battery inverter, to say, power a home during a power outage? I see speculation that a a 2000 watt inverter could be used, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what the actual capacity is, pulling off the battery for a continued time period. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by travelover
Has anyone established how much power could be pulled from a directly-connected-to-the-12v-battery inverter, to say, power a home during a power outage?
Just from the 12v battery alone, or also thru the HV battery or (ICE running) HV generator?

Quick Reply: Hi, need info about using AC/DC plugs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands