Hi, need info about using AC/DC plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hi, need info about using AC/DC plugs

Originally Posted by travelover
Has anyone established how much power could be pulled from a directly-connected-to-the-12v-battery inverter, to say, power a home during a power outage? I see speculation that a a 2000 watt inverter could be used, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what the actual capacity is, pulling off the battery for a continued time period. Thanks.
You can only continiously provide power at what ever rate the DC/DC converter can supply. Ford says that rating is 110a Max at -40f. simple Ohms law: 110A X 12v=1,320 watts. now these are extream specs, so I dont think hooking up 1300 watt usage and expecting the escape to put that kind of power out in warm weather at idle, might not work, but i could be wrong.

Last edited by akfonzy; 11-08-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by akfonzy
You can only continuously provide power at what ever rate the DC/DC converter can supply. Ford says that rating is 110a Max at -40f. simple Ohms law: 110A X 12v=1,320 watts. now these are extreme specs, so I dont think hooking up 1300 watt usage and expecting the escape to put that kind of power out in warm weather at idle, might not work, but i could be wrong.
Thanks, but I think I answered my own question 7 years ago.

Originally Posted by travelover
I did a little digging in the 2006 Escape / Mariner Modifiers Guide - it appears that the max 12 volt output is 110 amps which is 1320 watts.

From the manual:

DC/DC Converter

The DC/DC converter is a liquid-cooled component that converts high voltage (216-397 volts) DC power to low voltage (12 volts) DC power while maintaining electrical isolation between the 2 DC power systems. The converter steps down the high voltage to 12 volts, providing power to the
vehicle low voltage battery systems. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the operation of the DC/DC converter through an enable input from the PCM to the DC/DC converter.

Generator Output

The Escape/Mariner Hybrid generator is different from that used on the standard Escape/Mariner. The Escape/Mariner Hybrid has a 110 amp generator.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

All FEH made between 2005 and very early in 2008 had the hybrid battery heater wiring installed. One only had to purchase a wire kit that runs from the front grille backwards to make this work.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by akfonzy
You can only continiously provide power at what ever rate the DC/DC converter can supply. Ford says that rating is 110a Max at -40f. simple Ohms law: 110A X 12v=1,320 watts. now these are extream specs, so I dont think hooking up 1300 watt usage and expecting the escape to put that kind of power out in warm weather at idle, might not work, but i could be wrong.
I'm going to try using my FEH with a batttery connected inverter. This is all good information. My daughter is looking at a C-Max Hybrid. Does anybody know if you can use it in the same way, and if so, what the converter is rated for on the C-Max?

John