Highway Hypermiling techniquie - Has anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Highway Hypermiling techniquie - Has anyone tried this?

I searched, but couldn't find anything on this, so I'm starting a new post.

I don't do much highway driving, so I can't really consistently try different methods, but I did the P&G between 55 and 70, tapping the brake.

I left it in Drive to get more SOC, but it is better to put it into N on the glide?

But when I hit 46% SOC, I started to pump the accelerator really fast, 4-5 times a second, about half to 2/3's to the floor.

This kept the Assist going, and I was able to stay at a constant 65mph and my ScanGauge II said I was getting 60+mpg during that 1 minute or so of assist. When I hit 43% SOC, I would P&G again to get up to 46% SOC and do it again.

While I was pumping, the ICE's rpm's were staying at a steady 1,800, the assist needle was staying where it would be if I was 100% EV cruising at 35mph.

Other than feeling my calf muscle growing, I think I was able to use the battery to help me cruise at highway speeds.

Has this been documented and shot down already??

Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Default Re: Highway Hypermiling techniquie - Has anyone tried this?

I don't really follow what your talking about pumping the accelerator. I don't coast in neutral with the engine running at any speed in the '09 FEH. There are two main reasons for this because you can't get fuel-cut (DFSO) or regen in neutral. A light tap of the brake pedal while coasting with the engine running in "D" will speed up going into DFSO. Of course DFSO is the same as EV, because your still moving but not burning any gas. For this reason, I only neutral glide in EV in the '09 FEH. The older FEH's do not have aggressive DFSO, so it is better to glide in neutral even when the engine is running above EV speed. Hypermilers call this High Speed P&G and use this all the time. The real trick to any P&G is to know how fast to accelerate to your target speed. The only way to find this out in any vehicle is to experiment watching the tach for the best RPM while accelerating during any given speed. Because of increased wind resistance at higher speeds, you can't determine the right acceleration RPM during a Pulse at a given speed range in a P&G (ie 20-32mph, 33-40mph, 41-50mph etc) without doing test to determine the best MPG.

Once I establish the best RPM range for a certain pulse, I only need to use the best Instant MPG reading during that pulse. For instance, I use a ~12mpg Instant MPG reading during my 20-32mph P&G. I also have a battery SoC management range during that P&G range of staying above 43% and keeping the upper SoC level below 46%. Once I get to the upper SoC level, I burn it down to 43% using a steady state EV speed in cruise control. In the right road and weather conditions, I can squeeze a 75mpg segment out of my '09 even on E10 using this P&G range. The higher P&G ranges reduce MPG, but are better than not using high speed P&G.

GaryG

Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

By pumping, I'm physically pushing the gas pedal real fast about half way down, letting up, down again. As fast as I can. This rapid down and up of the gas pedal let's me run my electric motor at highway speeds. I do that until my SOC goes to 43, then P&G up to 46%. Then pump the gas rapidly to hold a constant speed and burn battery down to 43% again.

My instant reads over 60 mpg at 65 mph during that burn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you P&G on the highway, you aren't using electric assist, right? Basically charging the battery and never using it?

Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Could you drive from your location to Toledo using the exact method posted for the entire 110 mile non-stop distance and report back on how you feel and what the MPG figures are for the entire distance?

Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Could you drive from your location to Toledo using the exact method posted for the entire 110 mile non-stop distance and report back on how you feel and what the MPG figures are for the entire distance?
Hi Billy

You have a hard time understanding my techniques like a dirty FEH, and I know what I'm talking about with a Mileage Log to back it up as well as a documented MPG Challenge. The technique or his Mileage Log of 2K3 Mach on his sig page cannot be found at the Mileage Log at cleanmpg.com. I know his new technique does not work. I also know you know it does not work!

Gary

Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast

Wow Gary - you have a lot of haters on this forum, but I assure you I'm not one of them, at least I wasn't.

Did you read the title of this thread?? "Has anyone tried this?" I was simply asking the experts on this forum if they've considered this technique, and what they thought.

So based on your response, I'm assuming you've tried this and are convinced that it doesn't work. Despite earlier saying "I don't really follow what your talking about pumping the accelerator.", you then respond with "I know his new technique does not work." Since you went from not understanding, to shooting it down, I can only assume you went out and tried it, and I do appreciate that. Your response was basically what I was looking for, although a little explanation would have been nice, but I see you spent all your time investigating the validity of my signature.

My log is here: Not sure why you couldn't find it. I only have my best tank posted, and as soon as the pic updates, I'll put "BEST TANK" before the pic. I log every tank in my phone for convenience purposes. Since you're so interested, Since March, 2011 (When I bought it), 40.34 mpg, 158.08 gallons, 6,378 miles. That's in Cleveland climate.

I don't have the luxury of driving in Florida weather, so when I pull a good tank, I'm posting it. I just bought my '09 in February (Based on your recommendation), so I'm still learning. I improved quite a bit (based on your feedback) recently, but unfortunately it's snowing and cold now, so I can't see if I can break in the 50's until next summer.

In your extensive background search of me, you should have also seen that I've defended you multiple times in other threads. Now I'm starting to see the real picture.

Gary, you're the best at hypermiling the FEH - and unfortunately for people like me who want to learn from you, you have the attitude to go along with it.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
Wow Gary - you have a lot of haters on this forum, but I assure you I'm not one of them, at least I wasn't.

Did you read the title of this thread?? "Has anyone tried this?" I was simply asking the experts on this forum if they've considered this technique, and what they thought.

So based on your response, I'm assuming you've tried this and are convinced that it doesn't work. Despite earlier saying "I don't really follow what your talking about pumping the accelerator.", you then respond with "I know his new technique does not work." Since you went from not understanding, to shooting it down, I can only assume you went out and tried it, and I do appreciate that. Your response was basically what I was looking for, although a little explanation would have been nice, but I see you spent all your time investigating the validity of my signature.

My log is here: Not sure why you couldn't find it. I only have my best tank posted, and as soon as the pic updates, I'll put "BEST TANK" before the pic. I log every tank in my phone for convenience purposes. Since you're so interested, Since March, 2011 (When I bought it), 40.34 mpg, 158.08 gallons, 6,378 miles. That's in Cleveland climate.

I don't have the luxury of driving in Florida weather, so when I pull a good tank, I'm posting it. I just bought my '09 in February (Based on your recommendation), so I'm still learning. I improved quite a bit (based on your feedback) recently, but unfortunately it's snowing and cold now, so I can't see if I can break in the 50's until next summer.

In your extensive background search of me, you should have also seen that I've defended you multiple times in other threads. Now I'm starting to see the real picture.

Gary, you're the best at hypermiling the FEH - and unfortunately for people like me who want to learn from you, you have the attitude to go along with it.
Didn't take you very many posts to figure that one out. ConGrats!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"You have a hard time understanding my techniques like a dirty FEH"---that is pure bull and you know it.

We are eagerly awaiting your very first post on MPG numbers after driving 300 miles or more on the Interstate at 65 mph like the rest of us do.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Sorry about that Dave, when I saw your sig page with the number two best percentage above EPA for the FEH, I wanted to see your tank logs. I didn't find it where you should have put it in the Hybrid Vehicle Section, but I did see it tonight in the Gas Vehicle Section.

The hypermilers at CMPG including myself, are very serious about our LMPG and take into account handicaps like weather, terrain and traffic conditions. A mileage log is not just one tank 4 month ago and that's why I needed to look further at your log. When I didn't find it with all the other Hybrids, I didn't know what to think.

I did write and explain in detail why your technique would not work, but I was having problems with my internet service and it didn't get posted when I checked back later. I would have posted it again, but after looking into your mileage sig page, I didn't want to waste my time again.

As an apology, I'll post a short version now: Do not ever use "N" with the engine running - no DFSO or regen in the '09. Use "N" for coasting in EV only.

Traction motor "Assist" is always bad news for MPG! The computer dumps fuel through the injectors into the cylinders in Open-Loop at wide-open throttle (WOT). WOT for the FEH is where Assist starts to kick-in.

Have I tried this technique? Everyone here, including you, does it everyday when they speed up to make a traffic light. It's better than coming to a complete stop and getting going again, but you still take a MPG hit using "Assist" and WOT.

GaryG

Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
"You have a hard time understanding my techniques like a dirty FEH"---that is pure bull and you know it.

We are eagerly awaiting your very first post on MPG numbers after driving 300 miles or more on the Interstate at 65 mph like the rest of us do.
Sorry, you are still a stupid person!

GaryG

Quick Reply: Highway Hypermiling techniquie - Has anyone tried this?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands