Hit 30mpg on the highway!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 06:30 AM
Struggler at large
Default Hit 30mpg on the highway!

While this may not be looked at as astonishing to some of you, I still drive with somewhat of a leadfoot. So, for me, its quite impressive.

Scenario: between 70 and 75 mph on the highway, some moderate uphills and downhills, but no major elevation changes and the temperature was in the mid-40s, i think. But here's the thing, I was behind a Ford Expedition for most of the trip.

So, the question is, has anyone else noticed that when they are behind some thing large, their milage goes up like this? I mean, normally i'm getting 25-27 on the highway @ 75-80mph. I was going a little slower, which could account for some of the gain, but I'm wondering if the fact that I had something breaking the wind for me helped boost my numbers.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Contributor ($)

You were feeling the effects of "drafting" and it can raise your mpg considerably. The along caution to this technique is to no follow to closely. No sense getting into an accident, or getting a tailgaiting ticket.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Happy Owner
Wink You can do better ...

if you stop driving 495 and the Pike. (insider info for New Englanders ) Or at least use the cruise control to keep your speed in check. Keep it at 70 and you'll see even better numbers, AND, if you manage to drive at the posted speed limit of 65 on the highway you'll have even better results.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Struggler at large

Originally Posted by Gas Pirates
if you stop driving 495 and the Pike. (insider info for New Englanders ) Or at least use the cruise control to keep your speed in check. Keep it at 70 and you'll see even better numbers, AND, if you manage to drive at the posted speed limit of 65 on the highway you'll have even better results.
At the moment, i'm a 290 man, most of the way. However, thanks to construction season beginning on Monday, its back to the pike and 495 for me. that bridge construction through Worcester (pronounced 'wusta' or 'wista' for you non-new english types) is just maddening. i really should learn to stay out of the left hand lane, but i'm finding that old habits die hard.