Hot climate FEH performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Jim
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hot climate FEH performance

Nice to know they fixed something between 2005 and 2006!

Old 05-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I've got an '06 so it might only be on the '06, however, here are THREE settings for AC. Low (engine shuts off and outside air is pulled in at all times--frankly not terribly useful in my opinion). Medium (engine STILL shuts off but the air is recirculated--notice the little arrow that goes in a loop). And High (which is red because it keeps the engine on at all times.

So at least on the 06 there already IS a setting that recirculates the air and allows the engine to shut down.
My 05 FEH has the same three settings.

~John

Old 05-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast

Great to know. Maybe if I white-out the max setting my wife won't know it is there.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:53 PM

John,

Duplicolor makes a flat black spraypaint (for painting wiperblade arms.....) that should do nicely...

Of course the solvents would probably melt the plastic so perhaps just a piece of black electrical tape.

Or you could open up the dash and see how its connected in there... perhaps you can make both settings actually the same.... and not tell her... but you didn't hear it here...

Seriously though... It wasn't bad at 93F and most of my driving was in town. If I was in electric long enough it warmed up a bit but never uncomfortably. Of course at 110F your results may vary.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 AM

I'm in South Central Texas and our summers are typically long, hot and humid. Air conditioner is almost always on at the house ("on" as in set to trigger once the house hits the set temperature), and most people are running either A/C blasting or windows down on the roadways.

If I'm going 50mph or less, I'm windows down if I'm alone in the car or with a passenger who doesn't mind the windblown look and wind noise. Otherwise, depending on temperature, I'm either just drawing in outside air or I've got the fuel economy friendly A/C mode on and, if it gets too hot at a stop light or an EV mode run, I'll turn the fan up a notch (takes awhile for the air to get too hot to be bearable.)

I have not yet used Max A/C, but I was tempted to yesterday while picking my mom up from the hospital after her 8 day stay there. I kept asking her to let me know if she got too hot, but just when the temperature got a little warm I'd be back underway and the A/C kicked back on due to the ICE running.

I have a sunroof so the first thing I do when I get in if the car's been parked outside for awhile (I use a windshield sunshade, btw), is crack the sunroof to let the hot air escape the vehicle.

Last edited by GeekGal; 05-30-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast

I also live in West Central FL. Its starting to get pretty hot here, not as hot as it will be in another 6 weeks, but still hot. The A/C going off is rapidly becoming my least favorite aspect of this car. I find even with the A/C set for recirculate, in the time it takes a stop light to go from red to green, it gets pretty humid and warms up inside the FEH. That of course is a matter of taste, some may find it acceptable, I mean, its not like what your car is like after its been left sitting in parking lot for a few hours, but, I am not real crazy about it. So I just flip it over to max. Consequently my mileage has taken a big hit, was hitting 33 in the cool season, now I am running 27 to 28. Of course the lower numbers are mostly highway driving at 70+, but in town is no better than 28 with the A/C on max.

Still, compared to my Mountainer V-8, I am sooo glad I bought this car with gas prices the way they are.