How to buy salvaged parts??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation How to buy salvaged parts??

Greetings all from the RustyLifeguard.

Repair challenge #1

Where can I find the following for cheap:
rear double seat (and all parts, mounting brackets, etc)
sun visors
center console

I called the dealer and they are trying to charge:
over $3000 for all seat parts
$300 for both sun visors
$600 for center console

Also, which of these parts are interchangeable with similar models or years??
I called the dealership and they wouldn't give me an answer and kept saying that I had to purchase the OEM parts specifically for a 2008 ---bullsh*t.

I have checked a few of the junk yards near me online and they don't show and 2008 escapes.

---RustyLifeguard background---
I just purchased a 2008 Escape Hybrid with only 35,000 miles on it! It as only $8700. I absolutely love it. I was going to get it repainted but its growing on me. Besides, looks are the last thing on my repair list.
The issue is that it was a lifeguard car and spend all its life at the beach. Besides a considerable amount of rust on some of the underparts, there were several modifications made to make it an emergency response vehicle (sirens, mounted radios, storage compartments, etc). I will be posting several repair challenges to separate the various things that need fixing and not make it one super long post. Thank you for everyones help. Forums are a godsend and I find a thousand times more effective than taking it to a dealership.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to buy salvaged parts??

www.car-part.com

Old 01-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast

This was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Old 01-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

you're welcome. You might also try to look up the part number for the parts you're interested in and then search for those number. You may find other model/year compatibility.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Interesting, I saw someone else last week with a PZEV (former) hybrid LA County Lifeguard Escape, there must have been a bunch of them sold off at auction recently.

I think any interior parts from 2008-12 Escape or Mariner should work for you, and it doesn't need to be from a hybrid (although non-hybrids may have slightly different colors/materials). If it were up to me, I'd get an auto upholstery shop to replace the carpets and headliners, they're probably shot from 5+ years on the sand.

There are probably thousands of cars out there that are potential fits. Lots of junkyards sell online/eBay but you'll have to pay $$ for shipping since the parts you need are large. You could consider driving out to the deserts of CA or AZ for a big salvage yard that has what you need. Then you could get aftermarket seat covers or re-upholster your seats.

You also might want to inspect the suspension, underbody, and wheel wells carefully (and the side steps!). Those steel parts aren't known to be very rust resistant.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:27 PM

Maybe someone knows where the original parts went.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by xspirit
Maybe someone knows where the original parts went.
AFAIK Ford built these on their production line instead of an aftermarket upfitter. Not likely the parts would exist or be serviceable anyways after 8+ years.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 PM

If you check the Internet for "ford escape hybrid salvage", you'll find plenty of examples that can provide the needed parts. Even more if you don't include "hybrid". But I don't know if the sources are near you.

For example: https://erepairables.com/salvage-car.../escape+hybrid

Old 01-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for everyone input!
I went down to the local salvage lot and found a beautiful center cosole from a 2011 (it even has ambient lighting that works!) I also picked up two black sun shades. All for under $150.

I've given up on the double back seats and i will just keep that tactical looking box. Theres no way ill find the exact seats. oh well.

While I was trying to undo some off the lifeguard mods (annoying backup sound every time I put it in reverse) I accidentally cut out the small speaker for the Reverse Sensor System. Anyone know where I can buy just the speaker or a speaker that will work for it???

Thanks all!!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:33 PM

The original ambient lighting setup includes led's in both front footwells, besides the ones in the console's front bin, both cupholders and the rear bin.

You could get a speaker from a wreck, or any auto stereo place could advise and provide something that will work. It may be a piezo...whatever rather than a regular little speaker.