How to replace a broken driving lamp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default How to replace a broken driving lamp?

I just noticed the driving lamp on my '05 FEH is broken (lens is shattered) on the driver side. I picked up a new one at the dealership and figured it'd be easy to replace.

I have put the truck up on ramps, but as I look at it I'm not sure how easy it will be to access this.

Has anyone done this before and/or know of a website with instructions for this sort of thing? I did a lot of googling and am a bit surprised how every possible way I try to search only results in places that are selling the replacement part, but no luck on replacement instructions.

Thanks & Regards,
Tim

Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How to replace a broken driving lamp?

For what it is worth I tried and after an hour taking out screws and I still could not get to it I took it to the dealer. $100 for time and I supplied the bulb.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I cant print the directions, software will not permit cut and paste. You must have on a lift. Remove the wheel on the side that you are going to change. You must remove or pull back the inner fender splash sheild. then you can get to the bolts and wiring plug. Yes its a PITA

Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Enthusiast

Mark,

If you cannot post the instructions, can you email them to me, as I have a broken fog light casing to replace? Yes, it was whacked by road debris and the plastic screw shafts were destroyed.

Thanks

harrynew@***.net

Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Cant email the only thing I can do is print them locally not even print to file. The instructions aren't that detailed anyway. Like I posted remove the tire and peel back the inner plastic fender on the side you need to change. This is a combination of screws, bolts and push in plastic rivets

Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

BTW - I ultimately decided to have my local Ford dealer take care of it. I'm glad I did... I talked to the guy who did the work after and he pretty much confirmed what you said about the removal of the tire, the lining, etc... but then he said the space you have to reach into even after everything is removed is fairly tight.

Regards,
Tim

Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Yea I had to pull my bumper cover off, that was a real PITA, hidden screws etc. 2 of the screws did NOT go back in, so latter I can remove the cover much easier.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Earlier this winter, I removed the entire front facia from my 08 FEH to install a Roadmaster baseplate, to facilitate towing the FEH behind my motorhome. When everything was disconnected, it took my wife to help me sit the whole front end aside (too ackward for one person). Then had to put the whole thing back on after the baseplate was installed. No Joy!!! I regret not taking pictures at that time, because it was one heck of a job, and the instructions from Roadmaster, including pictures, were not exact.

I remember thinking at the time that if I ever have to replace one of the fog lamps, I'll have to get back into this area again, but not to this same extent.

FYI, I did all this without removing either front wheel, but it requires some stubby screwdrivers, and turning the wheels to the left/right for better access. Removing a wheel would be just as easy if you only have to get into one side