How to test battery pack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default How to test battery pack?

Hi all,
We, my wife and I, just purchased an 06 FEH 2WD, with 67K on it. We previously had an 06 FEH 2WD but sold it over a year ago for a Camry hybrid, which we are very happy with.. Anyway this FEH is from NY and aside from having a few more rattles it drives almost the same as our previous one as I remember. My question is... Is there a way to check the HV battery pack to see if it's performing up to specs.? It does have navi and I have a scanguage
but it's not programmed for a hybrid... Also this FEH doesn't seem to get as
good of mpg's, down a couple, but it has Yokohama Geolanders 40 psi (I ran 40 on the Conti's)
Thanks in advance...
Mike

Old 05-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to test battery pack?

First, program your scanguage for the Xguages of the Ford Escape Hybrid. This will provide you will valuable information about your vehicle.
Second, the Yokohama Geolanders tires are not low rolling resistant as the Continental EcoPlus tires. Thus you will not be as fuel efficient as if you had EcoPlus tires on.
Third, is there a change in the gasoline formulation in your location during the past year? E10 mandated now?
Good luck

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Bill,
I"ll check my scanguage tomorrow...I thought it had to be sent back to be set up for SOC... I like the Yokohomas, according to Tirerack.com. they are great tires, maybe I'll go up to 44 psi, they are 50 psi max.. As far as CA gas
goes, I think it will stay around 6% ethanol for awhile... since the mandate for 10% doesn't go into effect until 2010 and some refineries will drag there feet
even longer...
Back to the batteries, I will ask my Ford dealer how they test them?
Mike

Old 05-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

When you get the ScanGauge programmed ( you can do it yourself in about 5 minutes, but it's a little tedious ) to read SOC ( state of charge ) it should normally read 53% when cruising after a warm up period.
It should go down to exactly 40% in EV mode and the engine should start up at 39.9%.

Get the SOC to 50% and you should be able to drive 1 mile as the SOC drops from 50% to 40%. ( or you should get 1.3 miles if you start at 53% )*

*25 MPH over flat terrain.

HTH,
-John

P.S. I suspect a Ford dealer can only tell you what you already know.
They can tell you if it is "good" or "bad". But I don't think they have any way to say more detail like "50% life left" or anything like that. If the car is "working" then it is probably a waste of time to go to a dealer.
One curious program of the SG is for MDV or Module Delta Voltage.
I'd be curious to see that value. It should be small, as in 0.05 or 0.10 volts.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks John,
Sorry I let this thread get cold... I have an older 3.0 SCII so I would have to send it back to make it Hybrid capable.. I'll probably order another one from Ron and keep this one for my F350 powerstroke diesel... Since I bought my 2nd FEH with 67k on it I am wondering if there's a way to tell if the Battery harness recall was done on this vehicle and if it was...how would I know if it was done correctly?? Ford recall center thinks it was done, but I see no evidence of any screws that have been removed from the HV battery pack and I still feel the same stumble (our old newer 06 had) when it goes into EV mode and this FEH seems to be harder to keep this one in EV mode...touchier go pedal... I also wonder if the newer software on the 08/09's would increase the delta on the SOC range??
Thanks in advance
Mike

Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

There IS a way to tell if the battery pack harness work was done using a SG.

The original code for HV battery voltage no longer works right after the harness has been modified. You will only see 1/4 the voltage after.
(80-85 volts)
A simple change of the MTH makes it work again after the harness is changed.
I don't have the SG codes in front of me now ( traveling ) but I can get them for you... or maybe Carl ( DesertDog ) can get them to you sooner?

In brief, yes, the SG can detect the harness work.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks John,
I'll be calling Ron soon and order the latest SCII..
M

Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 AM

I bet Ford knows whether the recall has been done. They likely track it by VIN.

The battery is a chemical machine. I am quite familiar with lead Acid traction batteries and their maintenance and testing. I was a bit surprised to learn just how narrow the range of charge is that Ford has these programmed to operate within.

There are ways to enhance the life of Pb-acid traction batteries but they involve ensuring the whole range of capacity is exercised with some regularity. That cannot occur with the programming set up by Ford. My bet is that they have discounted any loss of longevity for the narrow range of charge-discharge, and expect them to go the projected lifetime of 100,000 miles (or likely 10 years).

I see little way you can accurately test, or extend, battery capacity when chained to such a narrow range of the cycle.

As a note I am sure the low limit was chosen to ensure starting capability in every possible situation. My bet is that the upper limit has to do with battery temperature and internal pressure when charging and is designed to ensure that there is no possibility of fire, explosion, or some such safety element (in a "litigious society").

I was surprised, and disappointed, at the small range of charge but the car remains an elegantly designed car and really neat to drive.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
It should go down to exactly 40% in EV mode and the engine should start up at 39.9%.
While your statement is true in EV mode, I have observed under 40% in my 2008 FEH AWD during the "startup" mode. I believe the value was just over 37% IIRC.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:19 PM

Regarding "exactly 40%."

Metrology is the science & practice of quantitative measurement and the desired accuracy of a given instrument. Where high precision is needed then + or - less than 1%, maybe less than 0.1 or 0.01% may be specified. I doubt that the measuring of the battery voltage (which is likely the way SOC is determined) needs that kind of precision.

Remember: un-necessary accuracy costs money and on the scale of 300 volts 3 volts represents 1%. So, the range programmed into the software for interpretation of % vs volts will have some wiggle room.

I would bet ±2% or so would be seen as good enough by Ford. This would fit the observed data by stevedebi and I think he is close to the mark.

Presuming that, because a number appears on a screen, even with several numbers after the decimal point, must be precise can lead one to wrong conclusions sometimes. You have to know the accuracy of the measuring device or method.

Quick Reply: How to test battery pack?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands