HV Battery Not Cooling - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: HV Battery Not Cooling - Need Help

Originally Posted by Kev-FEH
Update!

I did get it working this morning on my way to work... kind of.

So it has been hot here in Texas the past week (highs from 95-100) and I have been using the cabin AC on it's highest setting (4) or second highest setting (3) and I haven't turned it down past 3 I believe since this problem has started happening.

This morning it was slightly cooler so I turned my AC down to 2 and I noticed the battery (which was not cooling at all yesterday and was at 102* when I got home late last night after leaving the car in MAX AC setting all day) temp start dropping. I was on the highway in moderate traffic going about 50 so I went ahead and rolled the windows down and turned the cabin AC completely off thinking the compressor could dedicate itself to the battery cooling completely.

Once I did that I was able to get the battery temp into the low 80's fairly easily and by the time I got to work it was at 80.6*.

Now this is good news and bad at the same time. It's good because I know there's no major mechanical failure to worry about, but it's bad because it seems as though something is wrong enough with the AC to not be able to handle both front and rear systems simultaneously when it's hot out. I have had days where it was very hot and I used the AC in the cabin on 4 and still had the battery cool off several weeks ago, though.

Now the only thing I can think of is that it barely needs a freon charge to support both AC systems, but I checked the charge yesterday and it was in the middle of the "charged" range on the gauge. Do the FEH's require a slightly higher charge? Does anyone know what the best pressure to have in the system specifically?

Thanks again for the help.
I would guess the compressor is weak from the symptoms you have. Either that or blockage somewhere or maybe low on refrigerant. Compressor + accumulator is going to be a big pain in the wallet.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast
Post Re: HV Battery Not Cooling - Need Help

First off I am a 25 year auto technician and hoping to help answer some basic A/C questions. BTW you should never use any kind of sealer in your A/C system unless you plan on spending big $$$s later for failed components.

I believe I can provide you with some important information. The system has two isolated systems. One for the cabin and the second for the battery. The front system is regulated by an orfice tube(fixed size hole) and turned on and off by the PCM(engine computer) by means of a solenoid valve. The battery system is regulated by an expansion valve(also called a h-valve) and another solenoid valve controlled by the battery control module. The compressor that is used is a variable displacement "scroll" compressor which are know failure items in all cars that use them.

My 2005 has less cooling in the cabin than I would expect and lack of cooling to the battery. The normal pressures for anyt R134 system with outdoor temperature of ~90 degrees would be 225-250 high side when the compressor is running and the low side should rise to about 40-50 with compressor off and go down to about 20-25 with the compressor running.
My max pressure on the high side is 150-160 and the low side is running about 55-60. On a traditional system(non-scroll compressor) this would mean a restricted regulating device(orfice tube or expansion valve). I replaced both and they looked fine when I took the old ones out. No change. I am now facing a compressor replacement and the "rare" scrol compressor we use only fits 2005,2006,2007 Escape Hybrids(and twins)

Every place I have looked wants $350-$400 for a replacement. I did find one available at partsgeek.com for $165 shipped free. Planning on giving them a try.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: HV Battery Not Cooling - Need Help

Originally Posted by swootton
First off I am a 25 year auto technician and hoping to help answer some basic A/C questions. BTW you should never use any kind of sealer in your A/C system unless you plan on spending big $$$s later for failed components.

I believe I can provide you with some important information. The system has two isolated systems. One for the cabin and the second for the battery. The front system is regulated by an orfice tube(fixed size hole) and turned on and off by the PCM(engine computer) by means of a solenoid valve. The battery system is regulated by an expansion valve(also called a h-valve) and another solenoid valve controlled by the battery control module. The compressor that is used is a variable displacement "scroll" compressor which are know failure items in all cars that use them.

My 2005 has less cooling in the cabin than I would expect and lack of cooling to the battery. The normal pressures for anyt R134 system with outdoor temperature of ~90 degrees would be 225-250 high side when the compressor is running and the low side should rise to about 40-50 with compressor off and go down to about 20-25 with the compressor running.
My max pressure on the high side is 150-160 and the low side is running about 55-60. On a traditional system(non-scroll compressor) this would mean a restricted regulating device(orfice tube or expansion valve). I replaced both and they looked fine when I took the old ones out. No change. I am now facing a compressor replacement and the "rare" scrol compressor we use only fits 2005,2006,2007 Escape Hybrids(and twins)

Every place I have looked wants $350-$400 for a replacement. I did find one available at partsgeek.com for $165 shipped free. Planning on giving them a try.
Why not rebuild it yourself being an auto tech? I just put an old GM vehicle on jack stands yesterday to pull the compressor for a leaky shaft seal and rear manifold seal. Some parts on the way but "they" claim it might have different shaft sizes so I have to check that first before ordering those parts. Worst part is the special tools needed like clutch puller/installer, seal puller and seal protector. Going to give R134A a try first and if that works very poorly, I'll go back on R12.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast

Hey thanks a lot for the information! I really appreciate it!

So I have been driving around on the car in it's condition for the past couple of weeks and I feel as though it is a weak compressor as well.

The HV battery appears to only cool when the cabin AC is on a low setting and I'm on the highway. In almost all other circumstances the HV battery will not cool and when the Cabin AC is on a high setting it barely cools at all. The pressure in the system (at least on the low side) appears to be completely normal.

Do you have a link to the compressor on parts geek?

Again thanks for the info.. Very helpful.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

I actually found a link for a valve for the scroll compressor for $30. Our car is not listed but I contcated tech support and they said it should be the same part. It just arrived and I plan on installing it on Monday. I'll post the outcome. It may not even be the right part.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast

I actually found a link for a valve for the scroll compressor for $30. Our car is not listed but I contcated tech support and they said it should be the same part. It just arrived and I plan on installing it on Monday. I'll post the outcome. It may not even be the right part.
Interesting! Yeah keep me posted because I am going to make moves on getting my car repaired early this week. Thanks and good luck!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: HV Battery Not Cooling - Need Help

OK, final update. IT'S FIXED!
I bought part number V001 Scroll compressor control valve from techchoiceparts.com and it does indeed fit our compressor and it did fix my problem which was a low high side pressure(150-160), should be 200+ and high low side pressure(58-60), should be 30-40 and cycling. The adjusting screw in the center of the valve was screwed out 4-5 turns but I had a new valve in hand so I didn't even try to mess with it.

The system does need to be evacuated to replace this valve, but it is just 2 screws on the back of the compressor.