HV cooling fan recreation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:26 AM
2006 & 2007 FEH
Default Re: HV cooling fan recreation

I've got it so that the fans now turn on when needed and back off when not. They always run full speed. I tried connecting the Tan wire to the pot terminal but it didn't have any effect. There may be a way to utilize it, but i didn't spend much time investigating since i prefer the high speed anyway. I created a detailed How To guide in case anyone else is ever interested. https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...an-cheap-31705

One thing that was unexpected was that the Blue 12v line did not have enough amperage to engage a normal 12v automotive relay. I had to boost the signal with a transistor in order to get the relay to work.

Since I busted up one of the motor's coils during disassembly, I had to rewind it. It originally had 28 wraps per coil. Since i needed more slack on each end I dropped it down to 25 wraps per coil. It still operated at a similar speed as the other motor. Wrapping it was pretty tedious, but it was still a fun experience.

Here's a before and after sequence. The factory windings are a bit prettier than mine but the overall tightness looks pretty similar. The one thing that i did find difficult to master was the transition from one coil to the next. It was hard to keep tension while tucking it under the plastic tabs on the outer wall and then starting up the front of the next coil. I just basically bent it into place and let it sit there without tension. The one thing i started doing to help me along this process was to always end the 25th wrap right along the outer wall. Also, at the start of each coil it was easy to have a nice adjacent wrap pattern when going from outer wall to inner.. Though, once I had to reverse direction and move back toward the outer wall it was difficult to keep that nice clean pattern. Ultimately i don't think it matters for performance.. Just an aestetic flaw.