hybrid battery harness recall cost??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default hybrid battery harness recall cost??

Is this an item that is not covered under warranty of any kind??

My 06 FEH has been dieing on me & I took it to a local Ford dealer.

They just called me & it needs close to $1000.00 worth of work to replace the coolant pump & do this harness recall thing (they told me I have to pay for that also).

I have 56,000 miles on the truck & any gas savings I might have realized have long ago disappeared from repair costs & the original premium for buying the POS.

I will never buy a hybrid again even though I love driving the thing.

~John

Old 11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: hybrid battery harness recall cost??

$1000 of work for a 3 year old car. Thats not so bad. Your going to have different but just as costly repairs with a normal car.

What I been told is that Ford standard warranty stops at 36,000 miles, after that you need to by an extended warranty or pay out of pocket.

My friend has to drop $1200 on exhaust repairs on her Subaru. Every car will need repairs some day.

Good Luck

Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Ford just doesn't get it, no wonder they are in financial trouble.

I have no problem whatever paying for an out of warranty repair normally (I am in the car business, I know how it works). This is a totally different scenario however.

I called the Ford "customer satisfaction line" today & what they told me just irritates me to no end. This is a well known problem (& only happens to Hybrids). It happened to enough vehicles that Ford sent letters out making people aware of it & offering to cover the cost of the repairs. They obviously knew they where at fault, they weren't just doing this to be "nice guys"

Now, they tell me the offer to pay for the repair ended on August 22nd of 2009. If I had taken it in before that the repair would have been completely free. Now, because I was too busy with work to do that I have to eat an over $300 repair bill.

What a bunch of idiots. With that one phone call, I went from a happy customer that supported them 100% to a furious customer that will never buy their product again. If this is how they treat their customers, I fervently hope they go bankrupt and I will laugh when they do.

This is not about the money either (I can afford the repair with no problem), it is their whole cavalier attitude about it. They know 100% they are at fault, but they are basically thumbing their nose at me because I waited 3 months too long to show up for what should definitely should be a free repair.

~John

Old 11-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by jmorton10

I have no problem whatever paying for an out of warranty repair normally (I am in the car business, I know how it works). This is a totally different scenario however.

I called the Ford "customer satisfaction line" today & what they told me just irritates me to no end. This is a well known problem (& only happens to Hybrids). It happened to enough vehicles that Ford sent letters out making people aware of it & offering to cover the cost of the repairs. They obviously knew they where at fault, they weren't just doing this to be "nice guys"

Now, they tell me the offer to pay for the repair ended on August 22nd of 2009. If I had taken it in before that the repair would have been completely free. Now, because I was too busy with work to do that I have to eat an over $300 repair bill.

What a bunch of idiots. With that one phone call, I went from a happy customer that supported them 100% to a furious customer that will never buy their product again. If this is how they treat their customers, I fervently hope they go bankrupt and I will laugh when they do.

This is not about the money either (I can afford the repair with no problem), it is their whole cavalier attitude about it. They know 100% they are at fault, but they are basically thumbing their nose at me because I waited 3 months too long to show up for what should definitely should be a free repair.

~John
I believe somebody posted that letter here. If it included a date after which you'd have to pay for the repair, you have nobody to blame but yourself!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The Customer Assistance representatives are not there to grant after warranty adjustments. Their main function is to document your concern and transmit it back to the dealership for handling. When they can answer a question, they try to do so.

The dealership pretty much runs the after warranty repairs now. They are given an amount of money to spend on customers that they feel deserve special consideration. If you are a good customer of the dealership (vehicle purchases, service work, etc.) that will improve your likelyhood of receiving assistance. Even if they are out of assistance money, they may agree to do the repair work at a discount to help you out.

I'm sure the customer assistance rep was considerate and willing to document your issue. Perhaps you took their inability to meet your expectations as cavalier. If you had started with the dealership looking for assistance, rather than calling the customer assistance center, they might have better explained the "system".

Perhaps it is not too late to speak with the General Mamager of the dealership, or the Service Manager to request special consideration on the repair.

BTW Ford is not in that much financial trouble, they won't go bankrupt and sales are improving around the globe.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM

What a surprise to hear from John. It is must be tough for those Buffalo Bll's fans as the head coach just got fired. Anyways, as a former auto mechanic you could be in luck. The coolant pump you referred to I believe is the Motor electronic coolant system pump that is
is located down in front of & underneath of the engine next to the oil filter. There is an issue with this pump on the 05 and early 06 models. The replacement part number is 5M64-8C419-BB and can be a DIY job especially if the vehicle can be lifted off the ground. I believe the replacement part runs under $180.00 Read about this at this link:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/mecs-pump-replacement-22207/

As for the hybrid battery harness recall notice:
Name:  FordbatteryharnessrecallSept2007.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  178.0 KB

This is what was sent to the Ford dealerships. There is a detailed write up on how to perform this repair at this link:

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1225
Do you know any fellows that can work with high voltage? This repair might then become DIY? You might be able to trade in that Jag for a Taurus SHO Eco-Boost and have this work done free? Someone at work has a BMW and he now calls it "broke my wallet"!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jmorton10

~John
John, I could care less about your problem as you have attacked me also. If it's not about money hire an attorney because the HV battery is covered for 8yrs and 100,000 miles, period. These are sealed batteries and according to the workshop manual cannot be repaired. Ford broke their warranty and repair manual by breaking the seal on these batteries by doing the repairs. I had the harness or whatever work the tech did and I hear the battery fans much more since then. Your battery is covered regardless for at lease 8yrs and 100,000 regardless of Fords mistake of design and poor workmanship.

GaryG

Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
What a surprise to hear from John. It is must be tough for those Buffalo Bll's fans as the head coach just got fired. Anyways, as a former auto mechanic you could be in luck. The coolant pump you referred to I believe is the Motor electronic coolant system pump that is
is located down in front of & underneath of the engine next to the oil filter. There is an issue with this pump on the 05 and early 06 models. The replacement part number is 5M64-8C419-BB and can be a DIY job especially if the vehicle can be lifted off the ground. I believe the replacement part runs under $180.00 Read about this at this link:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/mecs-pump-replacement-22207/

As for the hybrid battery harness recall notice:

This is what was sent to the Ford dealerships. There is a detailed write up on how to perform this repair at this link:

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1225
Do you know any fellows that can work with high voltage? This repair might then become DIY? You might be able to trade in that Jag for a Taurus SHO Eco-Boost and have this work done free? Someone at work has a BMW and he now calls it "broke my wallet"!

LOL, yea I've been a Bills fan for years but it's been really hard not to "jump off the bandwagon" when they just keep making one more stupid decision every time you turn around..........

I don't think we'll trade the Jag anytime soon (we have an 09 now). Everybody thinks Jag's are junk, but my Wife has had 4 of them in a row & they have been the most trouble free cars we have ever owned (& they have the worlds best warranty anyway as far as to what they cover)

I have been working so many hours a week lately that I have no time whatever to fix my own vehicle unfortunately, so I just bit the bullet & paid the bill. I'll say one thing, the dealer definitely fixed it right -the truck runs better than it ever has so that's good anyways.

~John

Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
I believe somebody posted that letter here. If it included a date after which you'd have to pay for the repair, you have nobody to blame but yourself!
That would be true if I knew about it.

The first I ever saw of the letter was when I searched here after the dealer found out the coverage expired in August (the dealer didn't know that either until they researched it).

The dealer was wonderful to me by the way, it is Ford that is screwing me. Ford obviously cares little/nothing about customer satisfaction these days & that's too bad.

~John

Old 11-18-2009, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
John, I could care less about your problem as you have attacked me also.
Gary,

I don't really remember that (it was quite a while ago), but if I personally attacked you I am truly sorry. I am not usually like that at all really.

I was going through a really tough time in my life back then, my Dad and my Mother-In-Law both got sick & died unexpectedly within a month of each other. We are a very close family & this was tremendously tough on all of us (my two kids where devastated) & I was definitely not myself for a while.

I deeply apologize for whatever I said/did back then, my personal troubles are not your problem & that is no excuse for rude behaviour anyway.

~John