Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid battery warmer for 2009+

Hey Paul, any progress to report?

Old 01-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I recently had the "part" that sticks out of the front grille replaced due to a broken wire. This is what it looks like:
Name:  engineblockheaterdual2.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  126.4 KB
Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Billyk
I recently had the "part" that sticks out of the front grille replaced due to a broken wire. This is what it looks like:

Hope this helps.
If it indeed has a broken wire at the male plug which is common due to bending, etc. don't toss it. Pick up a male plug at a hardware store and repair it yourself. You'd have a spare.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:25 AM

I recently noted no warmup when plugged in. Troubleshot it and found a broken wire at the 120VAC male plug. Replaced it with another one, used a very large type hospital plug. Now works fine. The stock plug just isn't enough plug to get your hands on when wearing gloves etc........

Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

GPS1, did you actually measure the power on the circuit?
Just curious because I hooked mine up (with a transformer I had) and with a killa watt
device only measures like 7 watts. Unfortunately don"t have a scangage to see if it affected
battery temp either.
Also is the transformer output AC or DC? thanks.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk

Hope this helps.
I got a big laugh out of the smaller picture. I'm assuming you added the text, but it would be pretty funny if that text were actually on the Ford parts bag.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: Hybrid battery warmer for 2009+

Originally Posted by subdewd
GPS1, did you actually measure the power on the circuit?
YES.

Originally Posted by subdewd
Just curious because I hooked mine up (with a transformer I had) and with a killa watt
device only measures like 7 watts. Unfortunately don"t have a scangage to see if it affected
battery temp either.
Also is the transformer output AC or DC? thanks.
DC - On some original shop manuals, Ford called this an "AC/DC adapter" which got some folks (incorrectly) thinking it was a charger. Nope. Just a heater that runs on 24v DC / 3A max.

OH! It just hit me. There is an internal thermostat of some sort. IF your battery is warm, then it won't turn on the heater so 7w may be appropriate for just "standby" power. I never tested for that.

IIRC the thermostat won't warm the battery unless the internal battery temperature is 50'F or lower. If you drove your car recently, maybe it was above the 50 degree threshold already?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

I realize it's been quite a while since this thread was active, so please forgive me for activating it now. I have a 2008 FEH that I ordered new, but it never had the battery heater option installed. Now that the vehicle is a bit older, I just found out about it, & wonder if the correct Ford PN's were discovered for the connector, the 24v chager/transformer, & if others were able to get this working on an '08 ? My dealer says the option can't be added later....it's only available as a factory-installed option. If I understand everything here, that might not be 100% true....looking to use others' experiences if I may ?

Gary

Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robingf
I realize it's been quite a while since this thread was active, so please forgive me for activating it now. I have a 2008 FEH that I ordered new, but it never had the battery heater option installed. Now that the vehicle is a bit older, I just found out about it, & wonder if the correct Ford PN's were discovered for the connector, the 24v chager/transformer, & if others were able to get this working on an '08 ? My dealer says the option can't be added later....it's only available as a factory-installed option. If I understand everything here, that might not be 100% true....looking to use others' experiences if I may ?

Gary
I don't know about an '08, but I just got done installing the parts to my '05. There's a thread here somewhere that shows where the wiring for the HV battery heater goes into the HV battery pack. If you'very got that, then you can install the rest of the parts relatively easily.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good to hear that it's feasible. Might you have the actual Ford Part Number for the required connector at the Battery, by chance ? That's what I'm really looking for....I have the one for the Charger/Transformer, can build a functional wiring harness...just need the connector, I think.

Thanks,
Gary

Quick Reply: Hybrid battery warmer for 2009+

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands