hybrid v nonhybrid in winter

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Default Re: hybrid v nonhybrid in winter

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
Gary,
Off topic, but my significant other got a 2011 Explorer 4x4. Is yours a 4wd and did you do anything special to get 28mpg? I know her patience would run thin if I start P&G'ing...
My 2011 Explorer is FWD and I always do P&G without Key-Off (FAS) with a normal load. With this heavy load, I quickly seen P&G was not the best way for MPG because the load cut back on acceleration MPG each time. A steady state speed without cruise control worked best in this situation.

I have at least one SGII in the three vehicles I own and know how to monitor MPG for the best MPG possible. I can't compare my wife's mileage to mine ever even though she has the SGII in front of her all the time.

Ford now has an excellent AWD system that increases MPG but they changed the final gear ratio in the FWD at 316 to 336 in the 4X4 for highway driving.

When I jump on I-95 and do P&G during the week, I can average 35mpg in my Explorer to bring my wife's 19.5mpg average to a lifetime 22.5 average. I can live with that right now.

GaryG

Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Ford now has an excellent AWD system that increases MPG but they changed the final gear ratio in the FWD at 316 to 336 in the 4X4 for highway driving.

GaryG
The 4WD Explorer has a different final gear ratio than the FWD? The Escape has the same for all versions in a given MY.

The Explorer's basic 4WD system operates the same as an Escape, so at highway or constant speeds, you have zero rearwheel torque. You might say that at a constant speed, you have a FWD.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

I wish they made a good off-road capable vehicle with higher mpg. Low 20's is about tops.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A 2.5 TON 2011 Ford Explorer fully loaded getting 28mpg....

Interested in a bridge in Brooklyn..?

Or "land" in FL..?

Once the Explorer V6 adopts DFI then maybe, but 28mpg..?? Probably only if the displacement is reduced to maintain the same HP level..

"2011 Explorer 4x4...."

NOT...!!

The 2011 Ford Explorer is a "base" FWD vehicle, therefore it is NOT possible to have 4x4 functionality, not even 4WD in point of fact. What your wife has is a "part-time" F/awd vehicle, the rear drive is coupled in ONLY under low speed acceleration or turning.

I would NEVER put my wife's life at such risk.

The only improvement the 2011 Explorer has over the Escape F/awd system is cooling of the PTO to prevent boiling of the PTO lubrication oil.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
My 2011 Explorer is FWD and I always do P&G without Key-Off (FAS) with a normal load. With this heavy load, I quickly seen P&G was not the best way for MPG because the load cut back on acceleration MPG each time. A steady state speed without cruise control worked best in this situation.

I have at least one SGII in the three vehicles I own and know how to monitor MPG for the best MPG possible. I can't compare my wife's mileage to mine ever even though she has the SGII in front of her all the time.

When I jump on I-95 and do P&G during the week, I can average 35mpg in my Explorer to bring my wife's 19.5mpg average to a lifetime 22.5 average. I can live with that right now.

GaryG
"...Ford now has an excellent AWD system.."

Like someone said, this is the very same F/awd system that's been in use by Ford for more than 10 years now. I would not class ANY F/awd system as "excellent" but the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system is the best of the best for F/awd.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Imported from Detroit

The 2011 Explorer 4WD has that Terrain Management System but so far it's operation is limited to what you read in a sales brochure and there's no theory of operation in the current Ford Workshop Manual.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM

The Terrain Management System involves only the gear shift range control and engine torque range control. For theory of operation look at transaxle shift pattern(s) and DBW throttle response documentation.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM

Look Willard, I didn't jump at the chance to get a 2011 Explorer because of bad gas mileage. The new 3.5L is both fuel efficient and very powerful for a V6. The 6 speed transmission is fined tuned to shift at the right time to give you the fuel economy you want when you drive it for fuel economy like I do. My statements about getting 28mpg highway with my fully loaded down Explorer are about with me driving. I can push 35mpg highway with a lighter load and I do that every day. If I were the main driver of my wife's Explorer, I could easily have at least a lifetime MPG of 28mpg with mainly city driving but I'd use I-95 when I got the chance.

Now that I've got some experience driving with the 3.5L engine and 6 speed transmission in my Wife's Explorer, I bet I could easily get 28mpg in the AWD Explorer. Of course I would need a SGII to monitor Instant MPG and fuel-cut (DFSO). I have a picture of my SGII 3 or 4 blocks from my home in fuel-cut on a road with a 35mph speed limit. I can P&G not only on the highway, but in city driving with this aggressive fuel-cut all the way down to 25mph and partial fuel-cut below 25mph. Here is a link to the fuel-cut picture my wife took of the SGII:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/showp.../500/ppuser/36
Has you can see, my instant MPG is 9,999mpg which is complete fuel-cut and the 6 speed transmission is maintaining the idle with the wheels. Anyone reading this post can use P&G with Ford's designed DFSO (deceleration fuel shut off) in the Explorer.

Just going a steady state speed, the FWD Explorer can cruise along without P&G or DFSO and maintain 28 - 35mpg. The new Explorer slices through the wind much better than either of my FEH's and is the biggest Explorer Ford has ever made.

"The fruit of Ford's labor is no more evident than in the reinvented 2011 Ford Explorer, which received several design enhancements to minimize the wind drag and below-average fuel economy found in earlier models. The new Explorer features a front air dam that reduces airflow underneath the SUV, a liftgate spoiler that improves top airflow and reduces turbulence, and side-view mirrors that cut wind noise. These changes make for a smooth and quiet ride and squeeze nearly 1 more mile from each gallon of gas, contributing to the base-model Explorer's best-in-class fuel economy of 17 mpg city and 25 mpg highway."
http://readme.readmedia.com/Fords-Se...e-Wind/2274852

I've seen many videos of the new Explorer in action off-road but if you owned one of these Luxury vehicles, you wouldn't want to tear it up off road.
Video:
http://www.dubdaily.com/?p=29177

GaryG

Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
I would NEVER put my wife's life at such risk.
Huh???

Please explain this and tell me what vehicles on the road today are safer than that 2011 Expy.

I definitely back up Gary's MPG claims. I can cruise in the 2011 Explorer 4wd at 44 MPH and get 30 MPG. That's without jacking up the tires.

I'm looking forward to hearing more details on how Gary executes the p&g. Hopefully he has a writeup.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
Huh???

Please explain this and tell me what vehicles on the road today are safer than that 2011 Expy.

I definitely back up Gary's MPG claims. I can cruise in the 2011 Explorer 4wd at 44 MPH and get 30 MPG. That's without jacking up the tires.

I'm looking forward to hearing more details on how Gary executes the p&g. Hopefully he has a writeup.
What's an "Expy"..?

In wintertime adverse, slippery, roadbed conditions almost ANY RWD will easily prove itself to be safer than even a F/awd vehicle.

FWD or F/awd vehicles are just fine insofar as safety in concerned as long as the driving surface is reasonably tractive.

44 MPH is a residential street speed. I don't know of any place where I could consistently drive at 44 MPH long enough to attain a reliable average MPG reading, instantaneous, yes.

Quick Reply: hybrid v nonhybrid in winter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands