Hypermiling Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Newbie Enthusiast
Default Hypermiling Clarification

I have an '08 FEH with 40k+ miles and a lifetime average 33 MPG. I was pretty happy with that number (I drive like a grandma too) since the EPA rates it at 32 MPG combined, especially since I do 50%+ highway driving.

Until now...what's this I read about GaryG driving his '05 and '09 FEHs to 50+ MPG???

So I read some of the hypermiling related posts both here and at CleanMPG, I'll start trying to glide more in neutral, especially on long downhills or off-ramps. I think I already do P&G, unless I'm just doing it wrong. I also do a quick double-tap on the brakes when I slow down so the ICE shuts down. Maybe I'll try this fake-shift method more often from now on. Never really done that before. I just try to accelerate really slowly if there's no one behind me so the ICE doesn't start. Oh yeah, and my tires are at 42 psi.

But I have a few questions maybe you guys can help me answer. When I first start the car, if I'm sitting at a red light with the ICE running (warming up), should my shifter be in D, P, or N? Mine's usually in D like in most people's cars, but does that matter? Another thing, when I accelerate to 40 mph, then glide, does shifting to N have a significant benefit over shifting to D? I'm always worried if I go from L to N, I could accidentally push it too hard and put it in R. That would be bad I think. I don't know if Ford designed it to be foolproof, but I don't want to find out. Any help will be much appreciated! I'm aiming for at least 45 MPG now!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Hypermiling Clarification

Since I am new here also, I think your average sounds good to me. I have an 2006AWD FEH and today I did my first road trip. It was 300 miles on interstate and 57 miles on two lane and city streets. I used 11.9 gallons for the 357 miles(30mpg). On the interstate I used the speed control set on 70mph and on the two lane roads I set it at 60mph. I know that this is a huge improvement from our SUV we traded as it averaged 18.3mpg over the past year. If I stay 60mph and lower I can average 31.5-32mpg.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Yeah eldiee that's been my experience. I try to accelerate slowly and stay at or below the speed limit, but other than that, I don't drive my FEH differently from normal cars. During the coast down to a red light, I do the double tap thing, but that's about it. I rarely draft on the highway because my commute's traffic just pans out that way, no big trucks. Besides, I try to follow the 2 (or 3) second rule behind other cars. With the hills around my area, it's hard to keep the tach around 1800 rpm all the time. I also observed very little fuel economy gain by pumping my tires up from 38 psi to 42 psi (maybe ~1 mpg). The fuel savings (about 1-2 mpg) was actually more observable between winter and summer. So I guess tire pressure helps, but not that much. I have a hard time seeing a clear method to raise my current 33 mpg to GaryG's 50+. When driving in city streets, the LGA technique requires shifting to "L" and P&G requires shifting to "L". Is it cool then to just drive in "L" the entire time in city streets? If I'm missing something, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One can say GaryG knows his stuff about the FEH. However, don't expect to match his mileage due to his location (Florida-weather is never cold) and his ability to drive in such a manner to maximize mileage day to day. Do read and learn from his posts to improve your mileage in your location. Somethings you will not agree with while others are right on.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by deprotinator
I have an '08 FEH with 40k+ miles and a lifetime average 33 MPG. I was pretty happy with that number (I drive like a grandma too) since the EPA rates it at 32 MPG combined, especially since I do 50%+ highway driving.

Until now...what's this I read about GaryG driving his '05 and '09 FEHs to 50+ MPG???

So I read some of the hypermiling related posts both here and at CleanMPG, I'll start trying to glide more in neutral, especially on long downhills or off-ramps. I think I already do P&G, unless I'm just doing it wrong. I also do a quick double-tap on the brakes when I slow down so the ICE shuts down. Maybe I'll try this fake-shift method more often from now on. Never really done that before. I just try to accelerate really slowly if there's no one behind me so the ICE doesn't start. Oh yeah, and my tires are at 42 psi.

But I have a few questions maybe you guys can help me answer. When I first start the car, if I'm sitting at a red light with the ICE running (warming up), should my shifter be in D, P, or N? Mine's usually in D like in most people's cars, but does that matter? Another thing, when I accelerate to 40 mph, then glide, does shifting to N have a significant benefit over shifting to D? I'm always worried if I go from L to N, I could accidentally push it too hard and put it in R. That would be bad I think. I don't know if Ford designed it to be foolproof, but I don't want to find out. Any help will be much appreciated! I'm aiming for at least 45 MPG now!
I could get 50mpg tanks in my '05 FEH on straight gas a few years ago, but Florida mandated E10 and that all came to an end. The '08 has the same engine as my '05 FEH, so don't expect to ever see more than 44mpg tanks if you use E10.

The '09 FEH has a 2.5L Atkinson engine, completely different computer programming and broadband O2 sensors to adjust to E10 much better. My last tank was 65mpg and most likely the best tank I'll ever see again. I put the '05 rims and 50% worn Michelin Latitude tires on my '09 to get that record tank. I sold my '05 FEH last May, so I had to put the rims and tires back on it to kept both vehicles stock. My '09 is a Limited FEH and has 2.2 pound heavier rims than your '08 FEH with the standard Hybrid rims.

To answer your questions, the '08 does not have aggressive Fuel-cut (DFSO), so all gliding should be in "N" except "L" to get regen charging or go EV below 40mph. Coasting in "D" causes light regen and slows the FEH down for a 36% shorter glide. With "N" gliding, there is no regen and the eCVT is just free-wheeling. Kept the shifter in "D" at a stop. Shifting to "R" by accident will not hurt anything. There is no reverse gear, the traction motor just spins backward to back-up. The computer will not accept that command if you're moving forward while shifting to reverse.

In my '05 using straight gas, I could get 48mpg highway using high speed P&G with "N" glides.

GaryG

Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
One can say GaryG knows his stuff about the FEH. However, don't expect to match his mileage due to his location (Florida-weather is never cold) and his ability to drive in such a manner to maximize mileage day to day. Do read and learn from his posts to improve your mileage in your location. Somethings you will not agree with while others are right on.
You must have never lived in Florida. It gets pretty cold in the winter, especially above the Everglades area. Even south Florida sometimes gets into the 30's. Although I see your point, it is warmer than the Northern states; however having lived there, it does get cold!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM

You will see an MPG improvement in N rather than D while coasting.

Most shifter mechanisms have a type of lockout preventing it to slide into R from the shifter driving positions. If the shift lever is on the steering columb you usually will have to pull the lever tward you to access R and P.

My Civic for example has a "trigger" lever which must be squeezed to allow the shifter to pass from N into R pr P. If I were stuck in a hole and trying to rock myself out by switching back and forth between D-N-R, it would be required for me to keep that trigger lever squeezed.

I work the shifter a lot while driving but my hand is never near that trigger button unless I mean it.

I'm not sure how your shifter is set up, but I also have another vehicle which the shift is column mounted. Fussing with that is too much of a hastle so I personally wouldn't recommend anyone fumbling with a tree mounted shift lever.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 08-31-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
You must have never lived in Florida. It gets pretty cold in the winter, especially above the Everglades area. Even south Florida sometimes gets into the 30's. Although I see your point, it is warmer than the Northern states; however having lived there, it does get cold!
It does get cold and I even had ice on my windshield a few times. I don't have a block heater but I can heat the HV battery with light braking techniques. It takes a little longer driving to go EV when it gets cold, but the '09 FEH does not need the coolant temperature to get hot before EV like the older FEH does. I'd say the '09 can go EV 40% faster than my '05 did.

Hot Georgia, the FEH has the same shifter type set-up as your Honda. I don't know about the older FEH, but I put my '09 shifter in Park by accident going 35mph and nothing happen. The computer didn't move the parking pawn so I just corrected the over shift and kept going.

GaryG

Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is less benefit to using N in the 2008 than in older models because regen is reduced in both D and L in the 2008 compared to the 2006. Also the 2008 engine is different from the 2007 in that it has a wide-band oxygen sensor. The 2007 is different from 2006 and 2005 models in that they changed or removed some sort of air control valve in the intake. If you look at the fueleconomy.gov site, the revised numbers for the various years are:

2005: before 36 city/31 hwy, after 30 city/28 hwy
2006: before 36 city/31 hwy, after 30 city/28 hwy
2007: before 36 city/31 hwy, after 31 city/29 hwy
2008: 34 city/30 hwy

If you shift into R below 10mph, you get regen and can stop without using the binders. I don't do this if there is someone behind me, though. Without using R the friction brakes engage below 10mph with no regen in D or L.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

Gary was the reason I bought what I have, but the Cleveland summer (rain, cold mornings) held me to 48.9 MPG on dash, 46.34 with calculator tank, my personal best. Now I'm getting mid 40's without much effort, which I'm happy with.

Gary has the combination of great driving conditions and perfect technique. Impossible to beat. I was initially disappointed I couldn't get 50+mpg, but follow Gary's ways and you'll produce personal record tanks.

Quick Reply: Hypermiling Clarification

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands