I dont understand, MPG question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Question I dont understand, MPG question

Every day I drive my kids to my perents house out in the country The drive is tipically 5 miles @ 45 mph and 10 miles @ 65 mph I get an average of about 29 mpg. Now I went down to Houston to meet some of the Hybrid owners down there and on the way back @ 65 mph I averaged 33.5 mpg both conditions are with the ac on as needed. Also very little drafting. The drive UP from Houston is uphill (40 msl to 350 msl). This has happened twice, so it isnt a fluke. I do EV for about 1 mile going to my perents house down a white rock road. Am I EVing to much and spending my FE on recharging?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post Re: I dont understand, MPG question

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Every day I drive my kids to my perents house out in the country The drive is tipically 5 miles @ 45 miles per hour and 10 miles @ 65 miles per hour I get an average of about 29 mpg. Now I went down to Houston to meet some of the Hybrid owners down there and on the way back @ 65 miles per hour I averaged 33.5 mpg both conditions are with the ac on as needed. Also very little drafting. The drive UP from Houston is uphill (40 msl to 350 msl). This has happened twice, so it isnt a fluke. I do EV for about 1 mile going to my perents house down a white rock road. Am I EVing to much and spending my FE on recharging?
FWIW...I always get better FE on the highway at a constant speed. (about 30mpg). I get about 28 city. I have an AWD.

Granted the Hwy-city difference is much less than a conventional vehicle. The CVT really helps in hwy use.

Still 28mpg is much better than a regular escape's 17mpg.

Nate

Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I dont understand, MPG question

Originally Posted by Hybrid_SUV
FWIW...I always get better FE on the highway at a constant speed. (about 30mpg). I get about 28 city. I have an AWD.

Granted the Hwy-city difference is much less than a conventional vehicle. The CVT really helps in hwy use.

Still 28mpg is much better than a regular escape's 17mpg.

Nate
Hmmmm.... my city number is around 31-34... my highway can be as low at 28. But then again I push about 70 on the freeway.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

well for me I do quite well on the highway. If i keep it around 58-62 on fairly flat terrain I can and do get about 36-38 mpg. Now that is A/C on, no cruise, and no drafting. in the city for what ever reason I seem to get a bit less. Like 33-35 mpg. so go figure!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Every day I drive my kids to my perents house out in the country The drive is tipically 5 miles @ 45 miles per hour and 10 miles @ 65 miles per hour I get an average of about 29 mpg. Now I went down to Houston to meet some of the Hybrid owners down there and on the way back @ 65 miles per hour I averaged 33.5 mpg both conditions are with the ac on as needed. Also very little drafting. The drive UP from Houston is uphill (40 msl to 350 msl). This has happened twice, so it isnt a fluke. I do EV for about 1 mile going to my perents house down a white rock road. Am I EVing to much and spending my FE on recharging?
Did the FEH go through warm up on either trip? This has a greater impact on the shorter trip.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cngrevolution
well for me I do quite well on the highway. If i keep it around 58-62 on fairly flat terrain I can and do get about 36-38 mpg. Now that is A/C on, no cruise, and no drafting. in the city for what ever reason I seem to get a bit less. Like 33-35 mpg. so go figure!
That is very close to what I get too.

Mark E Smith, do you follow some of the suggestions in the FAQ, stickied above? Check your tire pressure. I run my stock tires near (but below) the tire maximum, not the Ford recommended, and it makes a 2-3 mpg difference. I do get into the gas a little slower than "normal" also while accelerating the FEH. I use the L gear to slow down. I sit at long lights in EV with hot a/c blowing, etc. I will coast when going down hill. I don't draft nor shut off the engine, or anything radical.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Did the FEH go through warm up on either trip? This has a greater impact on the shorter trip
This might be it my drive to the country starts from dead cold, the trips to Houston are 100+ miles with a warmed up engine.

Mark E Smith, do you follow some of the suggestions in the FAQ, stickied above? Check your tire pressure. I run my stock tires near (but below) the tire maximum, not the Ford recommended, and it makes a 2-3 mpg difference. I do get into the gas a little slower than "normal" also while accelerating the FEH. I use the L gear to slow down. I sit at long lights in EV with hot a/c blowing, etc. I will coast when going down hill. I don't draft nor shut off the engine, or anything radical
yep do all that also. Though I accelerate to use more of the HV battery a litle more aggressively

Old 09-10-2007, 11:03 PM

Mark, you can never do EVing to much! I try to stay in EV 70% of the time without drafting or FASing. I recorded 70.3mpg in a 20 mile RT in a FWD FEH with neither of those techniques.

GaryG

Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

I find my city driving is best when basically moving with the flow, ie, not braking and not accelerating, just trying to move along at a constant foward motion.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I thought I read on here, the ICE is better suited for a constant speed. As in it dosn't "perform" best at acceleration, or changing speeds, but it's peak is a constant speed/rpm.

So using that thinking the long highyway is one speed and stay there a long time, country driving is changing speeds a few times, probably even some stop & go's.

Could that be it?

Quick Reply: I dont understand, MPG question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands