I got my Scan Gauge yesterday!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:57 AM
FEH Tsaritsa
Default I got my Scan Gauge yesterday!!

It arrived at the same time as our Christmas guests, so all I could do was open it & make sure it had arrived safely It wasn't until after 9PM last night that I was able to take a closer look at it & start reading the manual.

I'm hoping to get it installed & set up today before we have to leave - any suggestions from you other FEH drivers out there?

Old 12-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Default Re: I got my Scan Gauge yesterday!!

Copied from CMPG:
Congratulations Debbie

Still have my old one waiting for the new interface to come out to buy the new style. Their 4 months late now and I’m wondering if they gave up on it. Anyone heard anything?

What I did when I first got mine was plug it in and wrap the cord around the steering shaft 2 times and temporally put it on the dash (velcro) over the navi. You might want to try it in a few places before mounting it in a final location.

Go to set-up to set the engine size, tank size (I use 15 gallons), type of fuel (select Hybrid), and set the system to CAN Bus and high speed if I remember right. You might want to keep it on the 4 gauge display to get a feel for instant MPG, coolant temp, engine load (you can see at 99% load the electric motor assist after warm-up) and I’d try open loop for starters. Always reset the tank refill after fill-up and press “Done”. The mileage trip automatically starts with a new current trip MPG average after a few minutes from a shutdown. The next screen automatically keeps your today average MPG. Same thing with previous day MPG average and the next push of the button shows your tank MPG average from the time you pressed reset refill. Your going to love the Trip information once you start understanding the SG.

You will now understand a lot more about improving FE and what’s bad for FE.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

GaryG

Old 12-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

I am having a small problem with my Scan Gauge II. Once in awhile I have to re-set the unit when I go to start the FEH. If I unplug the CAT5 cable and plug it back in it resets. I do not lose info but it is annoying.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Technology Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bosh
I am having a small problem with my Scan Gauge II. Once in awhile I have to re-set the unit when I go to start the FEH. If I unplug the CAT5 cable and plug it back in it resets. I do not lose info but it is annoying.
I also have that problem. I have had my unit for about 4 months and has been acting that way from the first day. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent out another unit, but still have the problem. They are working on the problem. It seems it is unique to the FEH.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:53 PM
DGH
Enthusiast

Greetings,
I ordered a ScanGauge for the girlfriends FEH, I want to make a winter front to keep the ICE at, or at least closer to the optimum temp.
Does anyone have data for ICE operating temps?
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, with you being in WI it may help you too.
Thanks...Dan.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

I got mine the other day too. Now I just have to incorporate Gary G's driving technique and I should see some results! Thanks Gary.

I mounted mine with a Velcro strip behind the turn signal. Not a clear shot from the drivers seat but it fits in there real well and doesn't stand out too much.

I purchased the gauge mainly for the water temp feature. The fact that it reads everything the car has is a big plus! I can even make the gauge color the same as the OEM dash lights. Very cool!

Old 12-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bosh
Mine did the same thing, I had it replaced not too long ago & the new one works perfectly.

~John

Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Wbruff
I also have that problem. I have had my unit for about 4 months and has been acting that way from the first day. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent out another unit, but still have the problem. They are working on the problem. It seems it is unique to the FEH.
Hi Bill

Sounds like John got a return unit that works, but your replacement still had the problem. I'd call Ron and report the problem again to get a new unit before the warranty runs out.

Also, I've found that if you reset the SG and the navi at fill-up, the data on the navi will change when the full gauge starts to move. After filling-up, I got bad MPG (Wife driving) for the first ten miles, but when the gauge started to move, I was getting killer mileage. The SG started and kept the average, but the data on the navi dropped some of the bad mileage and had a better average. Just letting everyone know that the tank fill plays a part on the navi as the gauge moves, but has little or no effect on the SG. Right now, I have a SG average of 43.7mpg and a navi at 45.2mpg with 63 miles on the tank. Still warm here and I hear the A/C kicking on to cool the battery after a fake shift in "L" for charging.

GaryG

Old 12-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The Shop manual states 190'F as "nominal" water temp.
Mine is usually 186'F unless I am climbing a grade.

Climbing a sustained 6% grade warms it up to as much as 193'F.

When I use a cardboard radiator block, I have hit 201'F climbing grades at 4000 RPM continuous for like 12 miles or more. But I still consider 201'F totally acceptable.

The engine must turn on (come out of EV) at 125'F and below, and will not shut off (enter EV) below 140'F.

-John

Originally Posted by DGH
Greetings,
I ordered a ScanGauge for the girlfriends FEH, I want to make a winter front to keep the ICE at, or at least closer to the optimum temp.
Does anyone have data for ICE operating temps?
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, with you being in WI it may help you too.
Thanks...Dan.