I ran the 12 volt battery down on vacation.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default I ran the 12 volt battery down on vacation.

I left a thermoelectric cooler and my Sirius radio on overnight. I thought that the accessory plug ran off of the traction battery pack, and that there would be enough juice to run the cooler in the car overnight. Leaving the Sirius radio on was just an oversight. The next morning when I tried to open the car doors, the nothing happened. I opened them with the key and tried to crank the engine – of course, nothing happened. I then thought I was in big trouble.

I asked the clerk at the hotel if she had jumper cables. Luckily she did and she let me use her car to jump my Mainer Hybrid. After letting the cables sit on the 12 volt battery for 30 to 45 seconds, I thought I would try to start my car, but I didn't think that it would start so soon. It started effortlessly (as usual). I thought that the traction battery would need major recharging. I was wrong.

I took the car for a ride to charge up both batteries, and found the charge/assist indicator was operating as usual. The traction battery must not have been drained overnight.

The 12 volt battery was a different story. It showed 11.ish volts (scangauge) when I first started driving, and it now shows about 14.ish volts (to be exact ) while driving.

The car is fine, and I have not had any problems since.

Rick

Old 10-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: I ran the 12 volt battery down on vacation.

Hi Rick,

You dont need the jumper cables with the hybrid - you already have a 330v battery that you can use to jump th 12v one already wired and ready to go- the procedure is in your owners manual. All you needed to do was to press a button,

Tim

Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Yep. You open a panel, throw a switch, and wait a few minutes, then away you go. There's at least one older thread on the topic.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Enthusiast

The manual states that you can re-charge the high voltage battery by hitting the switch and taking amps from the 12v. In order to jump the 12v you need another car.

Last edited by Bosh; 10-23-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
There's at least one older thread on the topic.
Got a linkey?

Old 10-21-2006, 05:38 AM

Hi Rick

Power from to your 12V accessories with the key off is from your 12V battery. If you left the key on, it still come from your 12V battery, but the HV battery will continue to supply the 12V battery and it will drain also. If your cooler was plugged into the DC live plug with your key off, it would take current from the 12V system. If your sirus radio is hooked into the normal accessories, it would turn off after 10 min. with the key off or turn off when you open the door. The radio would continue to drain both batteries if the key was left on.

The only way to start the FEH/MMH is with the HV battery. It sounds like you drain the 12V battery with the key off, and the HV battery still maintained its charge. When you turned the key on, the HV battery should have supplied power to the dead 12V battery through the high voltage DC to low voltage DC converter. You may have not given the converter time to put a charge into the 12V battery, or the HV battery was at its lower limits (40%) and would not drain any further as a safety protection system. If the key was left on, this may have also been the case.

If you did not use the jump start procedure for the HV battery as outlined in the manual, the HV battery was still at 40% or above in order the start the vehicle.

GaryG

Old 10-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by lakedude
Got a linkey?
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...33.html?page=1

It wasn't as discussed as much as I recall, was more of just the story of someone who used it, so I do apologize.

But it was discussed here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...87.html?page=1

It was also brought up here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...52.html?page=1

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...65.html?page=1

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 10-21-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

While I was checking the owner manual for the correct lug-nut torque, I finally thought to check regarding the jump-start procedure for the low-voltage battery. I think Bosh had it right in post #4.

If I read it correctly, and assuming the people who wrote the book had it right and finally assuming it hasn't changed since the '05 MY, the only way to jump-start a FEH with a dead Low Voltage battery is with a donor battery from another vehicle. The push-the-button and wait eight minute technique is for when the High Voltage battery is run down but the 12 volt battery is still good.

Anyone want to verify that I can read and also whether this has changed since 2005?

Old 10-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You guys have it right. Jump start button in driver footwell is only for 12v to jump the HV battery.

Early on, I had hoped this was an "in" for a plug-in or solar hybrid.
That is, put a 12v charger under the hood, and use this button to charge the HV battery. NO LUCK.

The button is totally useless unless the HV battery is very, very low.
The button will do nothing ( but light up ) if you go press it now... so feel free to "practice" if you wish, it won't hurt ( or help ) a thing.

-John

Old 10-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

This seems as good a place to ask as any thread I've read.

I don't have the NAV or a scangauge. And I read lots of complaints that scangauge doesn't include SoC, anyway. Am I being naive to think that one could wire in a voltmeter to give constant feedback regarding the SoC? Then, I could notice when the ICE kicks in and learn when I'm about to go too low. Or when I've tried to put too much back in.

Sorry, if it's been discussed to death. I searched and searched....

Scott

Quick Reply: I ran the 12 volt battery down on vacation.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands