I see now why AC work for these is so $$$

Old 09-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default I see now why AC work for these is so $$$

The AC on my new to me 2006 MMH is out and I ordered all the new parts to replace. I've taken compressors off from at least a dozen different vehicles in my life but this one takes the cake. I've actually had others that required more time and work removing more parts to access but the two top bolts on this one about drove me nuts. If it weren't for having an assortment of flexible tools I would have never made it. My hands are now sore from wedging them into to spots they should have never gone before. lol. Anyone have any tricks to make the job easier? I actually haven't installed the new compressor yet, was sent the wrong one.. On a good note everything looks very clean. I've never taken out such a clean orifice tube. Inside the old dryer looked clean also. I also replaced the expansion valve in the back. A little advice for anyone doing this job. You might want to check the operation of the Evaporator Hose Valve. A small part with compression fittings on each end and a wired connector coming out of it. If your AC is cooling the cabin but you have TB cooling issues it could be bad. No power to it and it should be closed. 12 volts to it and its open. Mine tested good which was a relief as its a pricey little part.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I see now why AC work for these is so $$$

My only advise is a helper, I had my kid maneuver wrenches from the top, while I guided from below, and 1/8-1/4 of a turn at a time we finally got it done! (I assume 06 -08 are the same, lower right corner, 1 super easy bolt, 1 kinda easy, 2 on top impossible!)

Yeah, Ford gave me some whackball offer of well just the parts are $1000, then labor, I'd ball park it at $13-1500+ (should have been first clue they didn't want to do it!)
Rockauto complete kit for $330.