I think the dealer is trying to rip me off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default I think the dealer is trying to rip me off.

My Ford Escape Hybrid currently has 175k miles. Today I brought it in to the dealer for an oil change and he recommended that I change the oil in the electric motor. At first, I thought he meant the electric cooling fluid which I had done the summer before, but he said the electric motor has a oil in it. I told him that no one else ever said anything about it, and he replied, most mechanics never even want to touch it... Is there really oil in the electric motor that needs to be serviced? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I think the dealer is trying to rip me off.

Just a guess, but I bet he's referring to the ecvt (transmission). I haven't changed my trans fluid yet at 75k but probably will at 100k.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
Just a guess, but I bet he's referring to the ecvt (transmission). I haven't changed my trans fluid yet at 75k but probably will at 100k.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

I thought the same thing and he said there is a special fluid inside the motor. I can not find any info.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The eCVT is supposedly lubricated for the life of the vehicle. But I think the extreme service schedule includes changing the fluid. I had mine changed after buying my FEH used. No harm done, and probably a good idea to do anyway. I doubt the electric motor itself has oil in it, since that would create resistance to the armature spinning.

There's a drain plug on the side of the eCVT, a large plug that I think uses a big allen key, in the front driver side wheel well.