ICE not turning off in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default ICE not turning off in the cold

So, I went on a half hour drive the other day, probably the coldest it has been. And the ICE didn't turn off until I had been driving for about 25 minutes. I don't think anything other than the cold was out of the ordinary, I can generally get the ICE to turn off pretty easily now that I've had the escape for almost a month.

Since then it has seemed to be working normally, but i don't think it has been quite as cold.

Is there some temperature sensor or something I should get checked out? I have a couple days left where I might be able to get this fixed by the dealership under the initial 30 days lemon law.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ICE not turning off in the cold

If your defroster is "turned on" the engine will run regardless of what you do. Check that dial on the dash. It helps to have a scanguage in your vehicle to report on various engine temperatures with questions such as this.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

yeah, i checked and made sure i didn't have the defrost on.
I have the torque android app for getting the CHT, but didn't have that running at the time.

Since then it's seemed to be operating fairly normally, just that one day definitely seemed off.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've got the same issue dabs. My 08 FEH won't turn off the ICE when its below about -10c. I did have it turn off today (its -12c right now) but it didnt stay off long, maybe 30 sec. My mileage in the winter months SUCKS, often jumping to 11-13 l/100km where in the summer I average between 7-8.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

You might want to consider a Grill Block? It really helps to insulate from the cold. You should monitor the temperature closely though.

Here is a post with pictures and a step-by-step list from someone else who did that.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

I live in Montreal Quebec Canada

The ICE will run if you have the fan on. It will not go in EV until your radiator reach about 150 degree F. If you turn the fan off it will go in EV normally.
In winter I but a bra on the radiator grill so that it will keep my radiator from cooling too fast.
So when it is cold you have 2 choice:
1. be comfortable and not economic.
2. be economic and freeze in the car.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:43 PM

My 2005 FEH will go into EV with the fan on. After a cold start, the engine temperature has to reach 182F and the radiator temperature 155F before allowing EV. There is information on this in the sticky at the top of this site.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

With temps around 20F today (and a few degrees colder yesterday) I cannot figure out why my '05 FEH will not go into (or stay in) EV mode sometimes.

I know from past experience I normally needed the following for EV:
CHT>190F or >150F once in EV
Coolant>150F or >125F once in EV
SoC>40%
AMP draw <50
A/C or defrost mode - OFF
I have the front grill more than half blocked off

My temps are high enough; CHT>200F, coolant >175F. SoC>50%. Vehicle fully warmed up. If I get lucky and it does go into EV mode, it doesn't last anywhere as long as it used to during warmer (>30-35F) weather. For example today it would only stay in EV mode down to about SoC~47-48% with minimal AMPS being used (<25-30). Also in the past if I stopped in EV mode it would stay EV until SoC went too low or temps dropped too low. Today it would start up the ICE when well above minimums.

Also I've noticed that RPMs are higher during warmup for a particular raod speed compared to normal (2300-2500 vs 1800-1900). Also when it won't go/stay EV when I think it should I'll see idle speeds around 1300 RPM vs ~800 RPM normally

Are there any other know parameters that I could check (I have the latest scangauge.) that might explain this behavior?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast

I only thought it seemed really off that one day. Since then it's been operating about as well as can be expected, not quite as smoothly as when the weather was nicely. And it does seem to like to stay in EV less than usual.

actually i have gotten the TPMS light on a couple colder days lately, gotta check the tire pressure. It goes off after a little driving which presumably warms up the tires to a better pressure.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by dabs
actually i have gotten the TPMS light on a couple colder days lately, gotta check the tire pressure. It goes off after a little driving which presumably warms up the tires to a better pressure.
The TPMS trigger point is something like 15psi. I suspect you just need to retrain the sensors.

Quick Reply: ICE not turning off in the cold

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands