ICE not turning off in the cold

Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: ICE not turning off in the cold

Originally Posted by econoline
The TPMS trigger point is something like 15psi. I suspect you just need to retrain the sensors.
I don't understand the TPMS system!

I started a 125 mile trip. About 35 miles into it, I get low pressure alert, stop at a one pump station, $0.25 and I hit each tire. It stays ON for another 75 miles. I make a quick restroom stop, get back on the road, it goes OFF. About 17 miles later, it goes ON again. Get to my destination, hours later, I leave, TPMS is ON and it goes OFF while turning around on the road. About 7 miles later it's ON again and stays almost all the way home.

I check them, door sticker shows 30psi and 25/26psi in them. PSI increase with temperature so I wonder why the ON/OFF bit???

Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The TPMS has some rules about how it operates. I had it figured out at one time but I've forgotten most of it.

I do recall that the system only triggers at very low tire pressure, like 15psi. It will not detect an under inflation condition, but does trigger on a flat. How useful is that?

The vehicle has to be in motion above 35mph(?) for 30 minutes(?) before it will monitor and report a fault. How useful is that?

A fault can be cleared with the console "set" button. There's another rule about displaying a fault at startup but I don't remember how that works, but I think it redisplays a fault that was not cleared.

Since new, the local Ford dealership (mechanics and service writer) are unable to understand the TPMS and have continued to insist that no retraining is required when tires are rotated. To demonstrate this to me they want to do test drives to show that the TPMS indicator is OFF. Of course, without retraining, the system will fault after 30 minutes of driving and far from the dealership.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Imported from Detroit

The books do mention a RESET or ReCal for 2 minutes over 20mph. I could clear the message center test message but not the icon. Not sure if any Ford vehicles do but some report the air pressure in each tire.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by us035976
With temps around 20F today (and a few degrees colder yesterday) I cannot figure out why my '05 FEH will not go into (or stay in) EV mode sometimes.

I know from past experience I normally needed the following for EV:
CHT>190F or >150F once in EV
Coolant>150F or >125F once in EV
SoC>40%
AMP draw <50
A/C or defrost mode - OFF
I have the front grill more than half blocked off

My temps are high enough; CHT>200F, coolant >175F. SoC>50%. Vehicle fully warmed up. If I get lucky and it does go into EV mode, it doesn't last anywhere as long as it used to during warmer (>30-35F) weather. For example today it would only stay in EV mode down to about SoC~47-48% with minimal AMPS being used (<25-30). Also in the past if I stopped in EV mode it would stay EV until SoC went too low or temps dropped too low. Today it would start up the ICE when well above minimums.

Also I've noticed that RPMs are higher during warmup for a particular raod speed compared to normal (2300-2500 vs 1800-1900). Also when it won't go/stay EV when I think it should I'll see idle speeds around 1300 RPM vs ~800 RPM normally

Are there any other know parameters that I could check (I have the latest scangauge.) that might explain this behavior?

Yes----monitor TAV--hybrid battery temperature. A cold battery temperature will inhibit EV drive. You might have an engine block heater installed on your vehicle and this will also heat the hybrid battery via the heater in that area. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Yes----monitor TAV--hybrid battery temperature. A cold battery temperature will inhibit EV drive. You might have an engine block heater installed on your vehicle and this will also heat the hybrid battery via the heater in that area. Good luck.
Any idea what hybrid battery temp it wants before it will allow EV mode?

I have an engine block heater now that I installed. It didn't have one when I got it, kinda strange for a Minnesota FEH. I installed just the block heater, not the extra battery heater. It was an interesting install. Once I had all the necessary parts and tools, I just unscrewed the plug from the block and quickly screwed in the block heater, all without draining the coolant beforehand. I only lost about a cup of coolant and caught all that in a pan underneath. Not a drop on the ground. I thought I did pretty good considering I did it all by feel as this is located on the back side of the engine block. Block heater has been working well.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM

The TAV temperature will vary depending upon electric motor usage, outdoor temperature and a few other items. Normal "ideal" temperature for the hybrid battery is the mid 70's. This does not mean it won't work if it is colder. Colder real winter temperatures will hinder EV useage. Owners who live in the upper Midwest often report it takes 30-45 minutes of driving during real winter weather conditions to obtain somewhat usual EV driving capabilities. See the sticky at the top of this site for more information.

The Ford engine block heater (option 41H) has a connection to the hybrid battery heater wire. This wire is located under the windshield fluid bottle in the engine compartment. You should notice a "Y" connector under this bottle. See previous threads for photos and additional details.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
The Ford engine block heater (option 41H) has a connection to the hybrid battery heater wire. This wire is located under the windshield fluid bottle in the engine compartment. You should notice a "Y" connector under this bottle. See previous threads for photos and additional details.
I checked and my FEH was not equipped with that option. that's why I added the engine block heater.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
The TPMS has some rules about how it operates. I had it figured out at one time but I've forgotten most of it.

I do recall that the system only triggers at very low tire pressure, like 15psi. It will not detect an under inflation condition, but does trigger on a flat. How useful is that?

The vehicle has to be in motion above 35mph(?) for 30 minutes(?) before it will monitor and report a fault. How useful is that?

A fault can be cleared with the console "set" button. There's another rule about displaying a fault at startup but I don't remember how that works, but I think it redisplays a fault that was not cleared.

Since new, the local Ford dealership (mechanics and service writer) are unable to understand the TPMS and have continued to insist that no retraining is required when tires are rotated. To demonstrate this to me they want to do test drives to show that the TPMS indicator is OFF. Of course, without retraining, the system will fault after 30 minutes of driving and far from the dealership.
My 2008 triggers a lot higher, at around 25 PSI, as I recall. I've only had it go off twice, once when a tire got slashed, and once when the PSI dropped below 30. I usually run 35 on mine, so I don't approach the low PSI.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
My 2008 triggers a lot higher, at around 25 PSI, as I recall. I've only had it go off twice, once when a tire got slashed, and once when the PSI dropped below 30. I usually run 35 on mine, so I don't approach the low PSI.
That's about where mine came ON also.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
That's about where mine came ON also.
Clever. I suppose it is a Southern mannerism. The sensor alarm went OFF, and the light came ON.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ICE not turning off in the cold

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands