I'm BACK in the hybrid world with a '10 Escape Limited Hybrid--and LOVE IT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default I'm BACK in the hybrid world with a '10 Escape Limited Hybrid--and LOVE IT!

OK, so I had a Camry hybrid, but had neck surgery and the car was no longer comfortable (I'm 6'2"). So, got a non-hybrid '10 Escape from the local Toyota dealer, who really gave me a great price on the Camry. But, after 7 months, and reading TONS of reviews on the 10-12 Escape hybrids with the electric A/C compressor (virtually manditory here in South Texas) I decided to take the leap. One problem....while there are LOTS of older FEHs around, the 10-12 Escape hybrids are nearly impossible to find. That tells me the owners like them and were not giving them up.

So, one popped up at a local Ford dealer here Saturday night....after they closed. A Ford Certified 2010 with 36K miles, priced about $4K below KBB certified retail value. Down there looking at it when it is still in 'Make Ready' on Monday....not taking ANY chances! Couple of hours later, mine is theirs and theirs is mine. And, while I was there, they had two phone calls on the hybrid, and one customer saw it parked out front and asked if it was available. That car wouldn't have lasted 72 hours if I hadn't been there....

Driving to the dealer--approximately 40-45 miles, I got 23 MPG with my 2.5L 4 cyl Escape XLT, and driving back home over the same route, got 32-34 MPG with the FEH. The shocker is I can't believe the difference between the way those two cars drove. The non-hybrid Escape felt like a different car from the FEH. The hybrid is faster, quieter, has a totally different feel (added weight from the battery and hybrid gear, I guess) and the 2.5 engine, with the Atkinson cycle and CVT, is like a different animal in the hybrid.

So, glad to be back in Hybridland with all of you!

Joe

Last edited by SanAntonio Joe; 07-17-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I'm BACK in the hybrid world with a '10 Escape Limited Hybrid--and LOVE IT!

Originally Posted by SanAntonio Joe
OK, so I had a Camry hybrid, but had neck surgery and the car was no longer comfortable (I'm 6'2"). So, got a non-hybrid '10 Escape from the local Toyota dealer, who really gave me a great price on the Camry. But, after 7 months, and reading TONS of reviews on the 10-12 Escape hybrids with the electric A/C compressor (virtually manditory here in South Texas) I decided to take the leap. One problem....while there are LOTS of older FEHs around, the 10-12 Escape hybrids are nearly impossible to find. That tells me the owners like them and were not giving them up.

So, one popped up at a local Ford dealer here Saturday night....after they closed. A Ford Certified 2010 with 36K miles, priced about $4K below KBB certified retail value. Down there looking at it when it is still in 'Make Ready' on Monday....not taking ANY chances! Couple of hours later, mine is theirs and theirs is mine. And, while I was there, they had two phone calls on the hybrid, and one customer saw it parked out front and asked if it was available. That car wouldn't have lasted 72 hours if I hadn't been there....

Driving to the dealer--approximately 40-45 miles, I got 23 MPG with my 2.5L 4 cyl Escape XLT, and driving back home over the same route, got 32-34 MPG with the FEH. The shocker is I can't believe the difference between the way those two cars drove. The non-hybrid Escape felt like a different car from the FEH. The hybrid is faster, quieter, has a totally different feel (added weight from the battery and hybrid gear, I guess) and the 2.5 engine, with the Atkinson cycle and CVT, is like a different animal in the hybrid.

So, glad to be back in Hybridland with all of you!

Joe
Congrats! I think the lack of available 2010-2012 is due to Ford not making very many. I think that they used most of their battery packs in the FFH instead. There are not many here for sale at Galpin Ford, which is the largest dealer in the country. The last time I was there they had maybe 5 FEH out of around 75 or more normal Escapes. And those FEH were all loaded at MSRP of around 36K.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I'm BACK in the hybrid world with a '10 Escape Limited Hybrid--and LOVE IT!

Yep, that is similar to mine; a Limited with autopark, the 501A package and side step bars.

With FEHs being used as New York taxis, and seeing them selling with 300,000 miles on them (and still running strong) on fleabay, I didn't even bother adding an additional warranty other than the Ford certified warranty and the original Ford hybrid warranty.

I know Ford is really pushing Ecoboost in the new 2013 Escapes, but it is a shame they stopped making the Escape hybrid. This is a well-designed car!!