Improving gas mileage...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Improving gas mileage...

I never thought about it but now I know why I am getting such better gas mileage than last year.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061026/..._consumption_9

I had to do a couple months of active duty earlier this year and in order to fit into my dress uniforms a little better, I lost about 30 pounds.

So, folks, lets all get on the treadmill and increase our mileage.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Improving gas mileage...

Originally Posted by nitramjr

So, folks, lets all get on the treadmill and increase our mileage.
Awh man! Cant I just let go of the 30lb spare?

(I meant the one that's easy to screw out)

Old 10-26-2006, 11:28 AM

Seems like CNN agrees in this article, Fat drivers consume more gas: report - Oct. 26, 2006.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

That is very, very amusing. Gives total new meaning to "spare tire"!!!!!

LOL

Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast

How are some of these people getting high 30s and low 40s gas mileage? What is their secret? The best I have been able to acheive for a tank is 32.6 mpg. Also, my on board computer is consistantly wrong in its calculation of the mileage (most tanks it tells me my MPG is higher than it actually is).

Old 10-30-2006, 08:09 AM

I wonder that too. Especially when they imply that they get "high 30s and low 40s gas mileage" with their daily driving, and not that it was just an odd one-time fluke (all down hill with a 50mph tail wind?).

Old 10-30-2006, 08:57 AM

How are some of these people getting high 30s and low 40s gas mileage?

I'll tell you how it is done - you modify your driving style as much as you are willing to do and follow as many of the tips on this site as are acceptable to your driving style and condition. There are hundreds or thousands of good threads on here that will tell you how it is done.

This thread really isn't one of them. It was thrown out there as something amusing but hey, losing 30 pounds was a good thing whether it saves me gas or not.

Especially when they imply that they get "high 30s and low 40s gas mileage" with their daily driving, and not that it was just an odd one-time fluke
No implication - I get in the high 30's in my regular daily driving. Period. My lowest tank in the last 4 or 5 months was 35.2 but that included a 200+ mile highway trip on an unseasonably cold early October weekend. My best was over the summer where I got 39+ mpg for the tank. It isn't a fluke. I'm sure in the cold winter that is coming, my mileage will be less. Last winter it was in the low 30's mpg average but I know I'll do better this winter as my car will be garaged at night. By the way, my regular commute (90% or more of my driving) is almost ideal conditions for these vehicles. Not everyone is that lucky and some won't do as well. Some do better.

Also, my on board computer is consistantly wrong in its calculation of the mileage
Ignore it. What matters is the amount of miles you drive divided the amount of gas you put in the tank. The computer is a guide. There are many discussions on here about that.

Last edited by nitramjr; 10-30-2006 at 01:05 PM. Reason: changed incorrect word
Old 10-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

I am in total agreement with Ray here. My pleasure car is a 2-door BMW coupe, and it has taken me a while to correct my driving habits from that. I would say two things are key: 1. Slow down on the highway, FEH/MMH aren't the most aerodynamically efficient automobiles, the difference between driving 70 MPH and 55 MPH is quite significant, and trust me on this because I actually tested it. One week I tried my hardest to stay at the speed limit on the GW Parkway all week for my commute and got 34 mpg, whereas my normal driving habit nets about 30 mpg.
2. Driving on the right-hand side lane and do two things, slow accelerating and gentle braking.
Because of the low-speed ICE shut-off and CVT of the hybrids, they will inherently get better mileagle then normal counterparts even if you don't do a thing about those driving habits, so be thankful for that. While not everyone will achieve high 30's mileage, an SUV getting you about 30 MPG is still admirable under any circumstances.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawflake
I am in total agreement with Ray here. My pleasure car is a 2-door BMW coupe, and it has taken me a while to correct my driving habits from that. I would say two things are key: 1. Slow down on the highway, FEH/MMH aren't the most aerodynamically efficient automobiles, the difference between driving 70 MPH and 55 MPH is quite significant, and trust me on this because I actually tested it. One week I tried my hardest to stay at the speed limit on the GW Parkway all week for my commute and got 34 mpg, whereas my normal driving habit nets about 30 mpg.
2. Driving on the right-hand side lane and do two things, slow accelerating and gentle braking.
Because of the low-speed ICE shut-off and CVT of the hybrids, they will inherently get better mileagle then normal counterparts even if you don't do a thing about those driving habits, so be thankful for that. While not everyone will achieve high 30's mileage, an SUV getting you about 30 MPG is still admirable under any circumstances.
I would have to agree with Chuck. When I drive in rush hour traffic up and down I-270, I can get almost 35 mpg. When I drive the same route during non-rush hour times (while trying not to get run over,) I get an average of about 30 mpg. This morning, my commute averaged 34 mpg. I would also have to say my mpgs are getting better as my FEH ages and my driving habits improve... My FEH had a little over 38,500 miles on it now (after 14 months of driving...)

Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM

There is no question about Ray and Chuck's answer. Before I changed my driving habits, I would be lucky to get 16mpg out of my V8 Explorer. I can get 23-24mpg out of it with the A/C running now. Last Monday, my FEH went into the body shop and I got a Ford Taurus for a rental. When I checked the average mileage to see what to expect, it was 23.5mpg. I've put 400 miles on that thing after I reset the trip at fill up and reset the average MPG reading It is reading a 29.6mpg average right now. It was up to 34mpg while drafting on I-95 for awhile, but city driving with the A/C takes its toll.

Today, I drive as much as I can in two modes, Low RPM's and No RPM's in the case of the FEH. In the Tauras and the Explorer, I accelerate as slow as possible to 35-45mph. This is the speed overdrive will kick in and RPM's drop. I use P&G and keep in overdrive. No problems with other drivers because I stay with the flow except for stops which I try not to do if possible. If someone wants to race me to a stop, they win everytime. If I'm lucky, they trip the light green for me. Many of the stoplights change right away if a car pulls up and some don't. With my commute, I have a good idea if I should slow or speed up to make the lights now.

This next month, I expect to see tanks in the 50mpg area again in my FEH without the A/C. That is if I can stay away from ethanol mixed gas. It's hard to maintain low 40's tanks with ethanol for me here, and I expect it is a major problem with northern gas pumps.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Improving gas mileage...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands