Jump Start FEH 2005 - Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Jump Start FEH 2005 - Please Help!!!

Originally Posted by anish_s
bitter Canadian cold for 20 days
Out of curiosity, how cold was that?

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
First check to see if the battery is frozen.
...let it stand for a day to thaw out. Only then should you charge it.

Don't, repeat don't, charge a frozen battery.
+1.... check for a deformed case as well. A discharged battery will freeze and the cells expand, possibly shorting out cells, which can spark when a charge is applied.

If it's more than 4 years old, maybe just replace it, o/w have a pro check it out.

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Maintenance Free Battery? What's that got to do with it. Some of those don't have removable tops/caps etc. But as far as freezing is concerned makes no difference.

As far as this case is concerned the initial statement makes me think it probably froze. If it did then thaw it out completely before charging it. You risk an explosion if you try to charge it frozen.
FWIW, my FEH battery has removable caps, but don't know if older models did.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by anish_s
Hello All

I have a FEH 2005 which was left in the bitter Canadian cold for 20 days and now the 12V battery is completely dead

Is there any special procedure that I should follow to jump start it? I have CAA premium membership....can I rely on them to help or should I be using special assistance for a hybrid? Also, assuming the jump start does manage to start the car....will the High voltage battery be dead too?

Please advise....I might also add that the Car has a remote starter installed and to disable it and use the regular key start I would need the 12V batter to be live.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Anish
There is a special jump start procedure in the manual for the HV battery. Get CAA out to your vehicle and let them do the testing and look at the HV jump start procedure. It could also be a 12V battery connection or a bad battery cable.

GaryG

Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by colchiro
FWIW, my FEH battery has removable caps, but don't know if older models did.
You should have a BXT-96R and I should have a BXT-40R. I never paid attention as to if mine had any caps at all. Most do need a vent hole so I probably have caps too but they may only cover a tiny vent hole. Not sure if one could see anything through them.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Hello Good Folks!

Thanks for all your responses...

Gary, thats exactly what I did, called CAA, they got a booster and I had the car up and running in seconds Thankfully, I didn't have to do anything with the HV....it started running as soon as the car warmed up..

BTW, my battery does have removable caps and I checked inside to see if the electrolyte was frozen but, it was still fluid. I suppose in colder countries the battery doesn't freeze because the temperature was below 0 (-5C to -8C) almost every day that I was gone.

Had a bit of a scare because one of the caps popped off and fell in a dark corner where I couldn't reach with my hand. I had to crawl under the car in the freezing snow and pry it out with my fingers In the end no harm done...

Cheers!
Anish

Old 01-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In the future try turning the key on and then waiting about 10-20 minutes for the 12 volt battery to be charged by the HV battery.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 PM

So what are you doing to prevent this from happening again?

If your terminals are corroded, that prevents the battery from fully charging. They can easily be cleaned.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
In the future try turning the key on and then waiting about 10-20 minutes for the 12 volt battery to be charged by the HV battery.
That's not going to happen Willard. If the 12V battery was so dead it could not open the contacts from the HV battery to start the vehicle with MG1, how is it going to open any contacts from the HV battery?

I sure hope my kids take care of me when I get older.

GaryG

Old 01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by colchiro
So what are you doing to prevent this from happening again?

If your terminals are corroded, that prevents the battery from fully charging. They can easily be cleaned.
The terminals aren't corroded and the electrolyte level was also ok. I guess the battery went dead because it was parked outside in the cold for 20+ days.

Next time I will make sure someone starts the car every now and then to warm it up a bit...

Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM

That doesn't sound right. This battery only closes a few relays. It doesn't have to crank the engine. I'd have it tested once it's fully charged.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
That's not going to happen Willard. If the 12V battery was so dead it could not open the contacts from the HV battery to start the vehicle with MG1, how is it going to open any contacts from the HV battery?

I sure hope my kids take care of me when I get older.

GaryG
Contacts..? like an electrical relay contact..? Those got tossed back in the dark ages of hybrid design, solid state switches, HV mosfets, ONLY.

Quick Reply: Jump Start FEH 2005 - Please Help!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands