Just bought a 06 Mariner ABS Light/Service Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Just bought a 06 Mariner ABS Light/Service Brakes

Hello
I just bought my first (hooray) hybrid a 06 Mariner from insurance auction for top damage. I noticed when I loaded it on my trailer the red "Brake" light was on. When I got home I also saw the Service Brakes Light on the screen and the ABS light was on and the low brake fluid was on the screen. It has been sitting for at least 4 weeks so it had a coating of rust on all rotors so when I first drove it (in rain) the brakes were not that responsive and when I pressed harder they seemed to grab at different corners and it seemed the rears were momentarily locking up.

Today I drove it on dry road and they seemed more normal but it seems the pedal effort is much more than typical car. I went and bought some brake fluid (DOT 3) and poured it in the reservoir and the level would rise then it would go down with some bubbles. I poured many times and got worried with the amount it was taking. When I finished it was above the full line (hard to see) but not near the cap. I started it and the low brake fluid light was still on. I back it out of my driveway and the 2nd time I applied the brake pedal went to the floor. I stopped the car with the emergency brake handle (in my driveway) and then pulled it back to my garage. When I got out I saw a trail of brake fluid from where I started to where I stopped on my driveway. I was just going to check the tone rings after doing a search on brake issues but after this I wonder I it can be something more involved. I read a blog

http://blog.yagelski.com/2010/01/my-...ke-repair.html

where an Escape owner replaced the master cylinder after similar dash lights then found out it was the HCU which was very expensive. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

PS After all this drama I jacked up the front and rotated both front tires and saw no broken tone rings up front.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2015, 05:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought a 06 Mariner ABS Light/Service Brakes

I had an OEM brake hose fail after about 9 years. It just gave way at the point where the flex hose joins the fitting for the body attach point. Gave similar symptoms as you've described. I replaced all flex hoses then since the system had air in it anyway. You can look for my posts about this.

I found a novel way to bleed the system. It's been working fine since then.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just bought a 06 Mariner ABS Light/Service Brakes

I got so worried I took it to a Ford dealership that I have a good relation with and just as you say he called me a few hours later and said the driver's hose failed and that the passenger one looked bad so I had them both replaced. The service writer says this is fairly common on both the Hybrid and non hybrid models but I hadn't read much on it through my research online. Thanks for you story I am GLAD that is all it was. After seeing the HCU prices I felt bad for even buying the vehicle. Interesting enough the service writer said the HCU failures are rare, he said he only have seen once in his time.

Thanks Again
Originally Posted by Bill Winney
I had an OEM brake hose fail after about 9 years. It just gave way at the point where the flex hose joins the fitting for the body attach point. Gave similar symptoms as you've described. I replaced all flex hoses then since the system had air in it anyway. You can look for my posts about this.

I found a novel way to bleed the system. It's been working fine since then.