Just finished cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Just finished cross country trip

I drove from Baltimore to San Diego, but took a very circuitous route, putting 5500 miles on my 2009 FEH 4WD. Performed flawlessly. Got it services once toward the end (compared to Toyotas, service is cheap). I am somewhat heavy footed. Got in the 28-29 range, sometimes close to 30, driving up to 80 mph. The higher speeds did not seem to have a great effect on mpg. I do a bit worse in town, 27-28.

Except for the synch system, which still does not work right, and some issues with the seat which I think I have resolved (I have back issues), I have been quite happy with it. Bought it with about 15,000 miles now have about 27,000 in under 6 months.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just finished cross country trip

I just did aprox. 6000 Miles on my 2006 4wd FEH. 2 adults, 2 kids and some gear (July 15 to July 30). From Los Angeles, to Laughlin, NV, then took the I-40 to Memphis, Tn, then down to Montgomery, Alabama, crossed in highway to the I-75, then Orlando Fl... Back I-4 to Daytona Beach, Savannah, GA, Atlanta, Nashville, TN, up to Springfield, Il, down to Kansas City on the I-70, then all I-70 past Denver into Utah, to the I-15 into Las Vegas and then back to boredom in Los Angeles...

Amazing trip. Did all that with $524 in gas! No issues with the car. I drive slowly (55 to 75) and a couple of nights we had to sleep in the car on rest areas, idling the car to keep AC on (LA weather is hot but nothing like Florida, Georgia, Alabama... )

I left LA with 74% of oil life and was back here with 15%, 16 days later. I havent calculated the MPG yet, but indicated I had 32MPG even after all iddling. Once I got past Arizona milleage went steadily up to 35-36MPG, until we had to use the AC all the time, then it went down to 31 (iddling again)

It was kind of scary to see so many cars on the sides of the roads (I think we must have passed hundreds) probably due to heat. I checked my water and oil on every gas fill up (some times, 3 times in a day)

Longest tank was 465 Miles (actual miles driven), had a couple of them on the trip. Normally I fill up after 380 or so here in Los Angeles.

Next time I want to do it towing a small teardrop trailer (under 1000#) The family had a blast and we not only saw the country, we stopped everywhere we wanted to (lots of museums on the way there)

Juan S. Fernandez
2006 HCH
2006 FEH 4WD
Los Angeles, CA