Just Got a ScanGuage - Set Up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Just Got a ScanGuage - Set Up?

My 2007 FEH has drifted past the warranty period and I've had a couple of intermittent wrench light alarms, so I've ordered a ScanGuage II.

Any recommendation on how to set it up? Obviously I'll want to monitor the engine temperature and battery state of charge. What else should I monitor? I'm not a hypermiler, but try to get good mileage when I can.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just Got a ScanGuage - Set Up?

You mention "intermittent wrench light alarms". Can you detail which one(s) and has the vehicle been in the service department for review?

As for the scanguage display, you could try this:
  • eingine temp via cylinder head temperature CHT or radiator water temperature FWT
  • State of charge SOC
  • Instant fuel mpg
  • "other"-vary between values such as amps-motor electronic temperature-closed/open loop-4wd if you have this feature

Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 AM
Feral Engineer

Billy,

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the ScanGuage from Amazon - not here yet - but it should be the latest and greatest version.

The "wrench light alarms" have simply been the wrench light coming on. I'm hoping the ScanGuage will give me a code to work with. I have not taken it to the dealer as it started after it was out of warranty. Each time the wrench light has come on it has been after starting , backing out of the garage and driving a short distance. Once when the engine was still hot, two or three times on a cold start. On a restart it is fine for a long time - weeks or months.

Any tips on how to nab a code when this happens?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 AM

Sounds like the symptoms of a bad blend door motor. Once you get your ScanGuage you can retrieve the trouble code and confirm.

There are a few threads on this site regarding changing it out yourself (if you're a DIY type).

Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by MyPart
Sounds like the symptoms of a bad blend door motor. Once you get your ScanGuage you can retrieve the trouble code and confirm.

There are a few threads on this site regarding changing it out yourself (if you're a DIY type).

That is my suspicion as well, based on searches I have done here. Does this fix not require the dealer to reprogram something on the vehicle making it not a DIY task?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 AM

I believe others have just replaced the blend door motor, without the reprogramming, and resolved the issue.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by MyPart
I believe others have just replaced the blend door motor, without the reprogramming, and resolved the issue.
That is encouraging to hear. The TSB 07-25-12 states as a final step:

16. Reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM) to the latest calibration using
IDS release B52.5 and higher with Patch 7. This new calibration is not included in the VCM
2007.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.
I don't understand the technicalities enough to know why this step would be necessary or unnecessary. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks.