Just purchased 06 Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Just purchased 06 Escape Hybrid

Bought it for the sticker price. Leather, safety and appearance package.
I haven't had a chance to drive it too much but one of the most important things that came to me was that the electric motor and gas engine works seemlessly now. By that I mean reviews have shown 05 FEH has a noticeable shudder when the gas engine kicks in (or maybe this is just a myth?). I cannot feel when the gas engine kicks in on mine if not for the tach rising up above 0 rpm, it transitions so smoothly.

Last edited by Hawflake; 06-07-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: Just purchased 06 Escape Hybrid

I notice it on the Prius, but it's extremely minor. I don't know why the media always turns it into a big deal. It's nothing compared to the gears on an automatic transmission.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Contributor ($)

Hawflake,
Welcome to GreenHybrid. I'll be interested to see how the numbers turn out for your mpg. I'm glad to hear things are running smoothly for you.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Welcome to the club! I got my '06 FEH last Wednesday. Hey, it's been a week! I agree, I can't tell outside of the tachometer at low speeds when I'm in what mode. The changeover is seamless between all the modes.

Kind of a funny thing, I'm averaging really 31ish MPG (318 miles @ 10.4 gallons of gas), but the Gas display on the A/N system was at 28.7. So it seems the system is a bit conservative there.

A lot of the "flaws" seem to be highly overstated. (Loud engine noise, etc.) Or at least they are on mine.

The navigation system paid for itself today. I went out to my grandparents, and because of construction, I couldn't take the route I normally take. Having programmed in their address, I had the nav system tell me how to get there, and it worked perfectly. On the way back, I used the map to make sure that the route my grandparents told me to take (to avoid construction closures) were all right, and once I got onto a main road, hit home to make sure I made all the right turns and was in the right lanes to get onto the expressway to go back home. It paid for itself then, I tell you! (And this was just now, at midnight, so it was dark to make things even easier.)

Old 06-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Kind of a funny thing, I'm averaging really 31ish MPG (318 miles @ 10.4 gallons of gas), but the Gas display on the A/N system was at 28.7. So it seems the system is a bit conservative there.
It took about 4 or 5 tanks for the mileage display on mine to catch up to the mileage I am getting. I am guessing that this is due to engine break-in at the factory which runs the engine without putting miles on the car, effectively getting 0 mpg. That brings your average down. I think soon you will see the mileage display start to rise.

Hey Hawflake, congratulations. I think you will love it.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast

I will check my mileage at the next fill-up the normal way, you know, miles/gallon and see if the displayed number holds true, seems like it just keeps getting higher, when I left the dealership with 8 miles on the car, it was displaying 18 MPG, now it's up to 26 MPG, hopefully the best is yet to come. I have a 84 miles/day commute, but with the mileage I get on this and I will only have to fill up once a week on a 15-gallon tank, amazing.