Kill Switch Idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Kill Switch Idea

I am looking for information on putting a kill switch in my 06 FEH.

I want to wire it to shut off the engine when the brake is pressed.

Does anyone have an information on proper wiring or kits available?

I do not like turning off the key while driving.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Default Re: Kill Switch Idea

Originally Posted by cheapdate

There is nothing! Things like that will screw-up the computer system so learn to go EV by the "L" gear advantage or the "N" double tap to go EV.

GaryG

Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cheapdate

This sounds like a very bad idea. You should check if your auto insurance will even cover you if you make a modification like that. I don't think my insurance would.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

GaryG once was very in favor of this procedure of cutting off the key when driving to "coast" engine off. There was lots of backlash and many people on this site and others showed him the error of his ways. He no longer promotes this idea, and says he no longer does it. It was called "FAS" or Forced Auto Stall" which is something sometimes done in mainly Manual Transmission Cars by some "hypermilers". The old generation 1 MT Insight was simple to FAS and the computer didn't mind a FAS. The Escape is much more complex and you can sometimes trip error codes with a FAS.

Plus, after years of "talk" over this, there's really no significant advantage to it, and negatives out-weigh the positives.

HTH,
-John

Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Insurance issues aside...

My engineering instincts tell me this is a bad, really bad, idea.

Just one guys opinion.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Insurance issues aside...

My engineering instincts tell me this is a bad, really bad, idea.

Just one guys opinion.
Many of us use the 'double tap' on the brake pedal while in neutral to convince the ice to shut down. It would be great to be able to create the same result, while in neutral and avoid the brake drag from the double tap by using a button on the steering wheel. It seems that when one employs the 'double tap' one has to get far enough into the brake pedal to invoke regen, so I imagine that getting the same results with a button is just fantasy... nice trick though, if you could do it.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If I'm hitting the brake, I'm in the process of slowing down. There is no reason why the engine cannot shut down at 50 or 60. Electric stearing and brakes... It is a waste of gasoline for the ICE to be running when I am slowing down. Then take advantage of the auto start feature when pressing the gas pedal.

What codes have people been getting in the past with forced stalling? What year escape?

Coal, I've never reported any modifications I've made to any of my cars to the insurance company. Is that something you normally do?

Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 AM

In my car, in "N" I can press the brake ever so slightly, that it shuts the engine down at 40 MPH and under without any measureable slow down.
I think there is a very gentle point that lights the stop lamps, but does not apply the brakes. I use this all the time.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The controller won't shutdown the ICE at 50 to 60. About the highest I've gotten the ICE to shutdown when coasting is ~40. My take on this is that its partly a safety thing and partly a good operation thing for the ICE.

The safety this is in the eye of the beholder but I think Ford just didn't want it running around at 50 or so without the prime mover powering it.

The good operation element is if the car is going 50 or so when it kicks in, it goes straight to 3-4,000 rpm. The internals of the engine would sustain excessive wear in this transition.

Remember the engine goes from zero oil pressure to run pressure in this time and it takes a bit of time for oil to get where its supposed to be, even if there is some residual oil already there.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:48 AM

That's the main idea Bill.

The "official" word from Ford is:

"The EV mode is only available under 40 MPH to limit Noise, Vibration, and Harshness." Good 'ol NVH.

Quick Reply: Kill Switch Idea

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands