Location/Color of Safe VSS wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Location/Color of Safe VSS wire

Can anyone point me to where I can find a safe VSS wire to use, and what color it is. I've installed a Pioneer AVIC D3 in my 06 FEH and decided i want the extra accuracy that it had in my old car. Also is there an easy place to get the reverse signal besides going back to the reverse lights, or is that the safest/easiest place. Thanks

Matt

Old 10-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Location/Color of Safe VSS wire

This is from the "photo/share" section (page 25?) on this site:

There have been several threads on this and aftermarket navigational/radios in 2007.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

That picture shows the back of the factory nav unit I think. Is there another place to find it I'm just finding a lot of discussion on tricking the factory unit with a vss switch.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Enthusiast

EDIT: double post. Sorry my hotels Internet sucks, so I'm stuck with my iPhone.

Last edited by Wh4tig0t; 10-17-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The wire in the photo is what you want.
I think there is a reverse signal wire to the factory harness for the Nav too, don't know the color off hand, and don't know about radios w/o Nav.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

OK My FEH doesn't have that harness, because it didn't come with nav. Does anyone know where the other end of that particular VSS wire terminates? Or has anyone put an aftermarket nav into an FEH w/o factory nav, without throwing any codes or messing anything up by tapping into a VSS wire?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wh4tig0t
OK My FEH doesn't have that harness, because it didn't come with nav. Does anyone know where the other end of that particular VSS wire terminates? Or has anyone put an aftermarket nav into an FEH w/o factory nav, without throwing any codes or messing anything up by tapping into a VSS wire?
The VSS wire terminates in the Battery Control Modular (spelling?) in the engine compartment. I have the wiring diagrapm for the 05 and 06 vehicles. You can purchase these FORD OEM books on E-bay for usually under $10. I looked and found mine there.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Smile Re: Location/Color of Safe VSS wire

Originally Posted by Billyk
This is from the "photo/share" section (page 25?) on this site:

There have been several threads on this and aftermarket navigational/radios in 2007.
Yeah Billy that photo was by me in a thread I started way back in 12-05. I have several photos showing the steps and you are looking at the radio/NAV upside-down because I left all the other wiring connected and turned it face down and rested it on the shift lever.
If anyone with an '05 - '08 would like a complete step by step go to 'Getting to POI (and others) While Moving' and look at post #2.

I think they changed to a touch screen after '08 and things changed. I did hear of a way to get around it by pressing different buttons in a certain order to basically say I decline the safety feature and things are in my own hands. That is post #3 on 'Can't get to Points of Interest etc on Nav while you are moving??'

OK - Phillip