Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Looking to buy an Escape Hybrid & have a few questions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/looking-buy-escape-hybrid-have-few-questions-6492/)

jillybean 03-23-2006 07:47 AM

Looking to buy an Escape Hybrid & have a few questions

Hi -

I've been in the market for an Escape Hybrid for a few months and with the 0% APR in California, I'd like to take advantage of the offer now! I have a few questions from Escape Hybrid owners, so if anyone wouldn't mind helping with the following, I'd really appreciate it:

1. I see that there is an AUX button the stereo but I cannot find the AUX plug (for my ipod). Is there one?
2. Does the battery ever need replacing?
3. I've heard that maintenance must be done at Ford dealers. Is this true and are your maintenance costs significantly higher because of this?
4. If maintenance costs must be done at Ford dealers, have any of you purchased Ford's extended warranty?
5. I'm assuming you like your car since you've joined a forum about it, but is there anything you strongly dislike about the Escape Hyrbid?

Thanks for your help!

Jill

zadscmc 03-23-2006 08:02 AM

Re: Looking to buy an Escape Hybrid & have a few questions

I can answer number 3. I do my own service.

Before you bring your FEH to the dealer, you should be sure that they know what they are doing. A simple oil change is much difference (due to the type of filter), and my dealer almost messed it up, costing me almost a full day.

As for 5. I love it, my wife (primary driver) loves it. We get about 30 mpg.

randykato 03-23-2006 09:55 AM

1. I don't think there is a plug. I think that's for a factory changer or something... but it depends on which stereo you're referring to. Still, I don't believe any of them offer a simple Line In plug (via either mini jack or RCA).

2. Don't worry about it. If for some reason it did need replacing, your CA warranty is 10 years / 150,000 miles, so it would be under warranty, or else by that time there will probably be much better batteries available quite cheap.

3. Not necessarily. It depends on the maintenance, but anything that has to do with any of the hybrid parts or the vehicle computer ought to go through Ford. Only maintenance I've had so far has been an oil change (in over 1 year, 14K miles), and that was a dealer freebie, so I can't comment on maintenance costs.

4. I didn't.

5. Strongly dislike.... nothing at all. For minor gripes, search the forum, there's a thread on it.

Good luck!

sweetbeet 03-23-2006 10:32 AM

1. I dunno, I'm one of the three people left in the US who don't have an iPod.

2. What Randykato said.

3. I have been to the dealer so far, only for an oil change. But many folks on here do their own.

4. I did buy the warranty. I generally don't, but my husband STRONGLY wanted to, because of the newness of the hybrid systems and general distrust of US automakers when it comes to new technology. Even though the hybrid stuff is covered here in NY (same as in CA) by the 10 yr/150K warranty, he still wanted the additional coverage for other things. So we bought it. It may be possible to negotiate a good price on the warranty, I'd try to do that if you decide to get it, a lot of dealers have good "wiggle room" (i.e., a high markup) on the X-warranties. We haven't really needed it yet for anything major because we're still under the standard bumper-to-bumper warranty, but we did make a major claim on that one - our master brake computer went out just before Thanksgiving. I *think* that we got a loaner car (much needed, since it took over a week to get the part) only because we had the X-warranty.

5. Nothing major that we don't like, but then, we had a V6 Escape before getting the FEH, so we already knew that the vehicle worked for us, and were familiar with all aspects of it except the hybrid drive. A few minor complaints - as previously stated, see relevant threads here. I'd buy another FEH in a minute if I needed an AWD vehicle, or the cargo-carrying capacity; I don't think any of the other hybrid SUVs are as good. Lexus is too expensive, Mariner is the same but with more (expensive) bells/whistles that I don't need, HiHy (or is that HyHi?) doesn't get as good mileage.

nitramjr 03-23-2006 11:01 AM

I can echo pretty much everything that the others have said with the exception that I have the standard 6-CD in-dash players in both of mine (an '05 and an '06) so I don't have an AUX anything.

I bought extended warranties on both of mine and if I play it right, I'll be able to get the full 6-years out of them since I swap back and forth between them. My wife stays home and doesn't put many miles on whichever is "hers" at the time. I bought the extended warranties to cover all the non-hybrid components as well as the hybrid components that aren't included in the 8/80 (or 10/150) hybrid part warranty. There are actually quite a few parts that aren't covered under the special hybrid warranty. Ford actually is pretty good about pro-rating and refunding unused warranties if you trade in the car so I'm pretty comfortable with buying them. Also, in case you weren't aware, the price of the extended warranty is VERY negotiable with the dealer. Ask them to show you their price and tell them you will give them X% above that and nothing more. I let them make 10% on mine and saved a ton of $$. You might have a slightly harder time negotiating with them now that they are doing 0% interest but worth a try. You may be able to get a better deal if you avoid the no-interest loan.

As for maintenance, so far I have done all my own. Nothing complicated until at least 30k.

Major gripes? No. Petty complaints? A few - storage niches suck compared to the '01-'04 Escapes (had an '04 myself) and a couple other minor things. Nothing at all that makes me wish I hadn't bought them. Would do it again in a minute. Oh yeah, avoid the painted bumpers if you have to drive where there is gravel or rock salt or anything like that. The matte plastic cladding hides road damage better. JMO.

Good luck.

Ray

philmcneal 03-23-2006 11:37 AM

get it!!! after reading 60 mpg is possible on the escape HEV you SHOULD!!!

Pravus Prime 03-23-2006 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by philmcneal

Don't oversell it. I think one bad thing is telling people about their best MPGs, then when the new user doesn't get it, they're disapointed.

Originally Posted by jillybean
Hi -

I've been in the market for an Escape Hybrid for a few months and with the 0% APR in California, I'd like to take advantage of the offer now! I have a few questions from Escape Hybrid owners, so if anyone wouldn't mind helping with the following, I'd really appreciate it:

1. I see that there is an AUX button the stereo but I cannot find the AUX plug (for my ipod). Is there one?

There is? I'm not aware of it.

2. Does the battery ever need replacing?
The battery has gone through a very lengthy and harsh testing phase. At this point, all the batteries Ford originally developed and put in the extreme testing facilities, which test the batteries far beyond any capacity a user will put it through (Temperature and usage), there have been 0 failures in years of testing.
The battery, as stated by the designers, have been built to outlive the frame of the Escape.

Now, does that mean that it will never need replacing? Not necessarilly, if you're in a bad wreck, or there's some problem with yours (defect), you may need to replace it. However, you have a lengthy warranty on all hybrid components that comes automatically. Should you have a failure after that, most likely Ford will work with you on the cost anyway.

3. I've heard that maintenance must be done at Ford dealers. Is this true and are your maintenance costs significantly higher because of this?
I've only had an oil change so far. Well three actually. It's not $19.95, like it is a some discount change, it's a bit more expensive.

Additionally, you only need to change the oil every 10K, not 5K like a conventional Escape.

However, make sure where ever you go, that the people know it's a hybrid, have the parts, and can do it. You may even want to call in advance to make sure.

4. If maintenance costs must be done at Ford dealers, have any of you purchased Ford's extended warranty?
I have purchased the extended warranty. I actually bought my vehicle, and intend to own it for at least a decade.

5. I'm assuming you like your car since you've joined a forum about it, but is there anything you strongly dislike about the Escape Hyrbid?
Strongly dislike? No. There's some minor stuff, which most of us have talked about in a thread like: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-feh.5093.html

Thanks for your help!

Jill
No problem. If you haven't, I suggest you read the FEH FAQ article. :shade:

If you have any other problems/questions, feel free to ask.

Joan 03-23-2006 09:27 PM

Hi Jill-
I'm another Californian-I got the 2005 Ford Escape HEV in November of 2004, and really am glad I purchased it. It replaced my Toyota RAV 4, and it's the perfect size for my family.
1. There is No ipod input...unlike my husband's Civic hybrid. My husband says some third party companies are offering an interface for the Ford, but it ain't cheap.
2. already answered below...
3. I'm at 18,500 miles, and have had one oil change. Next one is at 20,000. Yeah, I went to the dealer and it cost 45 bucks instead of 20, but that's OK with me.
4. I bought the extended warranty to be safe, but so far, so good.
5. No strong dislikes. I did have a problem with the rear rotors squeaking within the first month of purchase, but my dealer repaired it, and no other issues. The car really works for me-right size, good features, terrific gas mileage, and comfortable.
Good luck, sounds like you can get a good deal-

philmcneal 03-23-2006 09:45 PM

Don't oversell it. I think one bad thing is telling people about their best MPGs, then when the new user doesn't get it, they're disapointed.
then don't get it, get a REGULAR ESCAPE. Ask garyG what he gets in his FORD ESCAPE HYBRID.

obviously 60 is not for the average user that's why i said "60 mpg is POSSIBLE POSSIBLE POSSIBLE"

don't give the impression that its not, then people will never try. what's wrong with you?

edit: that last comment, I meant to say "Never discourage those who have potential." but I apologize if it meant anything offensive.

rcomeau 03-24-2006 05:38 AM

then don't get it, get a REGULAR ESCAPE. Ask garyG what he gets in his FORD ESCAPE HYBRID.

obviously 60 is not for the average user that's why i said "60 mpg is POSSIBLE POSSIBLE POSSIBLE"

don't give the impression that its not, then people will never try. what's wrong with you?

I think his point was that most people won't get that kind of milleage under "normal" driving conditions. I think it is reasonable to give the prospective buyer a realistic expectation and tell them how they can exceed that rather than give the best case scenario that depends on better than usual driving skills and commute patterns only to have them disappointed in the end because it was not achievable.

Cheers,

Roch