Looking to buy an Escape Hybrid & have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: Looking to buy an Escape Hybrid & have a few questions

Originally Posted by rcomeau
I think his point was that most people won't get that kind of milleage under "normal" driving conditions. I think it is reasonable to give the prospective buyer a realistic expectation and tell them how they can exceed that rather than give the best case scenario that depends on better than usual driving skills and commute patterns only to have them disappointed in the end because it was not achievable.

Cheers,

Roch

Thank you. Not everyone is willing to go the extremes and live in the right circumstances to get MPGs like that, so selling them a vehicle based on that is not only false, it's a bad practice. I'm not saying it isn't possible, or they shouldn't try for it, just that if they don't get it, they shouldn't be crushed. People are upset when they can't get EPA MPGs in their vehicles, how disapointed are they likely to be when they can't get what top hypermilers can get?

Originally Posted by philmcneal
then don't get it, get a REGULAR ESCAPE. Ask garyG what he gets in his FORD ESCAPE HYBRID.
I don't have to, I know and we discussed as we developed the hypermiling techniques just what kind of MPGs he gets.

obviously 60 is not for the average user that's why i said "60 mpg is POSSIBLE POSSIBLE POSSIBLE"
Then why bring it up without a measure of reality as well to a prospective buyer?

don't give the impression that its not, then people will never try. what's wrong with you?
I'm not, nor did I ever say that it's not. I push for people interested to go in with their eyes open, with realilistic expectations. That's a big part of why I wrote the FEH FAQ.

I was going to mention this privately, but just to make it crystal clear, unwarranted insults like that are not tolerated here. Don't do it again.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:08 AM
Enthusiast

On number 2, battery, ditto to what most people have said, the FEH comes from the factory with an 8 year warranty, so what the heck. 8 years from now I will be driving a 2014 FEH or something similar, maybe efficient fuel cell vehicles if we are lucky.

On number 4, warranty, I opted for an aftermarket warranty, got a very complete one from Warranty Direct, with 125,000 miles, for about $1700. My dealer said he would do work under an aftermarket warranty provided the provider pays with credit card to them, which they do. BBB reports on them were satisfactory too. Don't know if they still sell a 125,000 mile warranty at that price for the FEH, they said after 1/1/2006 they were making changes, but check it out.

Number 4,Dislikes, there are some very minor geeky things I would prefer to have, like an outside air temp gauge and map lights, but those can be installed readily enough by an aftermarket supplier-installer. The only thing I have noticed as the weather warms up here which is starting to annoy me is the air conditioing shutting off with the gas engine at a traffic light. It starts to get hot pretty quick inside. Of course, thats easily avoiided by just turning the A/C to max, and then the gas engine will not shut off at a light. Other than on max the A/C will quickly create arctic conditons inside (actually a good thing), I find it results in a mere 1-2 mpg hit on mileage. So, its a little annoying, but its not a real big deal.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I know you can buy an extended warranty for PARTS. I have one and so do many others. However, I do NOT think you can buy a service plan ( for automatic oil changes, brake pads, etc... the "consumables" since this car has such a different ( longer ) maintenence interval than standard cars. But you also shouldn't need one either.

Oil changes are every 10,000 miles with blended oils ( Ford Motorcraft ) or 15,000 miles with full synth. like Mobil 1.

Also, brake pads, and maybe tires will last close to 100,000 miles.

I'd say maintenence costs will be LOWER in this car.
DIY oil filters are $4 bucks, and you can use whatever oil you like.
Don't let them tell you the oil change is more expensive because it is a hybrid.
This is untrue. Mercury and Mazda cars use the same oil filters, so they are not that hard to find anymore.

Last edited by gpsman1; 03-25-2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2006, 03:16 PM
04 prius 350,000km

pff its not that hard if we end up at the same location, time and yet you used more gas than I...

edit: (that quote was refering to, if I were to sit in the passenger side and were to moniter your driving habits. I will point out what's bad and back it up with legit facts so that you'll never do that again.)

whatever do it for the enviroment.

(better than a regular escape, the difference is too great)

Last edited by philmcneal; 03-26-2006 at 07:42 PM.