Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Low SOC after sitting a few days

Good evening. I removed the sensor o2 but nothing to change

Old 03-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

not sure of the correct way to spray gas into your intake but hopefully someone will inform us on the best way to do it, a simple spark test would be next, not sure of a way to do it without damaging sensitive expensive gismo's

Old 03-04-2018, 02:52 AM
Enthusiast

I did the test. There is spark on ignition.Is there a way to charge the hv battery faster?

Old 08-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thought I'd bump this thread with an update.

After many months of trouble free operation I found the SoC at 5% today after parking overnight at 50%. That's the lowest it's ever gone on an overnight discharge. It started easily, charged back to 53%, no warning lights or indicators, goes into EV mode readily, but little regenerative braking.

I'd like to believe the problem is a failing cell in the battery, but how can the problem go away for months and suddenly reappear? Is that consistent with a failing cell or should I be looking somewhere else?

Old 08-06-2018, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like out of balance cells. There's a good description here (first 2 questions) about how the battery cells get out of balance and then fail. I'm going through the same thing myself. As far as when low SOC events happen, while it seems to be unpredictable, after monitoring my battery for several weeks, it appears tied to the module delta voltage. When that gets too high, usually above 0.2V, for most of a drive, the SOC will likely be low the next morning.

Two options are buying a new battery or a battery recalibration. Earlier in the year, I was in contact with Hybrid Automotive and they sounded like they were in the process of finalizing a kit for the FEH. I just got in touch with them again last week and there is no predicted availability date for the FEH kit yet.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 AM

Part of the issue with these things is the immense PITA they are to install a grid charger harness. Battery must be REMOVED, and very sensitive stuff has to be disassembled and removed. There are some ceramic insulators that are extremely easy to damage during reassembly. I have done a couple of "custom" installs.

I have passed this information on to HA to assist them.

Lastly, FEH batteries are among the most reliable ever made due to their very robust cooling system, and demand for a grid charging solution is VERY low. The HV jump charger on the 07 and earlier models effectively prevent the need for one, so a big chunk of the oldest market doesn't need it.

IMHO, it's also worth checking out everything 12V related - a poor ground at the 12V (connecting interface and/or internal corrosion of the cable) or deterioration of any ground straps can cause all kinds of problems.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow. I'm surprised to hear the harness installation is that much of a PITA. I've got my fingers crossed that HA comes out with their FEH kit soon.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:32 AM

Ford did an amazing job of making the innards of that pack almost impossible for HV exposure. It's easy from the perspective of someone comfortable with it (me), but it's intimidating for a novice. If I was HA, I would be reluctant to turn it loose to the consumer and consider keeping it to "authorized installer" only.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:51 AM

I read the HA information and it does sound like out of balance cells. I have this shop near me /http://venturahybrid.com/ I did speak to the owner awhile back, but there was little interest in working on a Ford hybrid. The FEH is my only vehicle now, so I need to do something soon.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by tommyball
Wow. I'm surprised to hear the harness installation is that much of a PITA. I've got my fingers crossed that HA comes out with their FEH kit soon.
Just an FYI. I called HA this morning. Earliest for a FEH product is "next year", and even that didn't sound very certain.

Quick Reply: Low SOC after sitting a few days

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands