Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Okay, I'm sick of the billion threads here about wiring connundrums, thoughts about MP3/IPod Installation, etc.

Discuss it here, not in a new thread.

There are some links out there, someone can post them about their success stories installing/wiring things.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...64.html?page=1

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 07-03-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Master MP3/Wiring Thread

I agree with Rich (Pravus Prime), this information need to stay on one discussion thread.

First of all, the information I found IS NOT in a sales brochure. It can be found online at www.FordAccessories.com. Then you select the vehicle you would like to download the accessories catalog for.

Secondly, I had posted this information on the string "iPod My Ride".
I have downloaded the Accessories catalogs for the 05, 06, and 07 model FE and FEHs to compare.This part is only in the 2006 Ford Escape and Escape Hybrid Accessories Catalog. This information is not in the 2005 or 2007 Ford Escape and Escape Hybrid Accessories catalogs.

"Have you looked at the accessories for the 2006 FEH? There is an accessory titled "TripTunes" you would be interested in. It is part number 19C142. The description is as follows: "Take your tunes on the road! Now you can connect most portable audio players (MP3, iPod, iRiver, ScanDisk, etc.) plus portable CD and cassette players, right to your in-dash radio. Just plug your player into the harness - a 3.5 mm stereo connector provides the interface so you can listen to music through the radio's speakers and control the volume. Audio connection is housed securely in your vehicle's glovebox or center console. Base Part No. 19C142.

In the downloadable fordaccessories pdf file, it is on page 6."

I have purposely placed all the KEY words/phrases on BOLD. This way everyone referencing it can easily find this information.

I have also included the Accessories catalogs for 2006 and 2007 model FE and FEHs. When I tried to upload the accessories catalog for the 2005 model, I was "told" the file was too large. If anyone would like a copy and can't find it, I can try to email it to you.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Rich

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006_Escape_and_Hybrid.pdf (670.4 KB, 1542 views)
File Type: pdf
2007_Escape_and_Hybrid.pdf (836.8 KB, 1150 views)

Last edited by rihavo; 07-04-2006 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Spelling, Punctuation, and added Accessories Catalogs for 2006 and 2007 FE and FEHs
Old 07-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

The 2005 Ford Escape Accessories catalog can be found at http://www.fordaccessories.com/catalog/2005%20Escape%20Genuine%20Accessories%20Catalog.pd f

For some reason, Ford pulled their 2007 Accessories catalogs off of their web site. But here is the link to request/download a catalog. http://www.fordaccessories.com/requestcatalog.aspx

Good Luck

Old 07-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ad.php?t=48851

According to a poster in this thread who is an accessories retailer, the TripTunes adapter is an FM modulator similar to those used by XM and Sirius radio users. This is not nearly as good as a direct connection (I have an FM modulator for my Sirius) and it is a little better than the wireless FM modulator but far from "CD quality". If I were looking to interface an iPod I would look at one of the PIE systems that tap into the CD changer to feed a line level (RCA) signal to the headunit. The downside of that is that the CD changer must be "powered up" for the PIE system to work so you always have to keep at least 1 CD spinning in the changer.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:36 PM

Here's documentation on my particular installation --

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD w/stock Navigation Radio (Visteon)

Device Desired to Interface w/Radio: 4GB iPod Nano

Interface Chosen: FRDW/PC-POD interface*

*The initial interface unit I received was cranky, but the replacement has been issue-free since the moment I plugged it in. Shop around as I was able to find it for cheaper than $120, and it's available for less but I was leery of anyone who'd charge $89 or so for it.

Level of Difficulty to Install: 2 on a 10 point scale, only because it might take a flashlight and a minute or so to locate the plug you need to disconnect, get the plug disconnected, and plug in the PC-POD cable.

What I Like About It:
  • It charges the iPod when the iPod's connected.
  • It's easy to hide in one's center storage console or disconnect the iPod if you're leaving your vehicle with a valet or car wash or service center.
  • Sound quality's quite good, albeit needing a little higher volume level to be at the same actual volume as the radio stations or CDs.

Caveats:
  • It does bypass your 6-disc CD changer (but it's not difficult to unplug the PC-POD under the passenger seat and plug the CD changer back in if one needs to listen to CDs for some reason.)
  • It can't display track data on your stock radio screen, just "Track #" and "Disc #" data (Disc # = Playlist #, and playlists need to be named with CDX as the first characters, where X is a number from 1 through 6.)
  • The "shuffle" feature on the stock radio only works if you let the radio play one song to completion and randomly pick the next song. If you're cycling through songs individually (via the ">" button), it just jumps to the next song stored on your device.
  • Playlists work, but again don't display any name/title/track data.

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-20-2006 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added link to store I bought my interface from (great svc; replaced a bad unit and sent new one I've had no problems with!)
Old 07-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Another PIE option is the X3 interface. I currently have the same configuration as GeekGal. I like the fact that it charges the Ipod and you can use it through the NAV radio. You cannot control the Ipod separately though.

The PIE X3 has a T wiring harness with a switch that lets you still use the CD changer as well as 3 other devices plugged into it via RCA jacks. The PIE X3 will not charge the Ipod and you have no control via the NAV head unit but you can switch between inputs if you have a satellite radio, etc.

BTW, I have a PIE X3 system that will fit into a FEH with NAV system and CD changer under the passenger seat if anyone is interested.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim K
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ad.php?t=48851

According to a poster in this thread who is an accessories retailer, the TripTunes adapter is an FM modulator similar to those used by XM and Sirius radio users. This is not nearly as good as a direct connection (I have an FM modulator for my Sirius) and it is a little better than the wireless FM modulator but far from "CD quality". If I were looking to interface an iPod I would look at one of the PIE systems that tap into the CD changer to feed a line level (RCA) signal to the headunit. The downside of that is that the CD changer must be "powered up" for the PIE system to work so you always have to keep at least 1 CD spinning in the changer.
Sorry to disappoint you Tim, but I am not a Ford accessories retailer or a retailer for anything else for that matter. I just included this information in the event anyone on this site wanted a part coming from Ford. We all know that any accessory purchased from Ford and installed on our vehicles then becomes a Dealer-installed item and my also help your vehicles resale value. Not that there is anything wrong with purchasing any items from any aftermarket vendors.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:39 AM

I understand, I just wanted to make sure that people know this is not some type of line level direct connection since that is what Ford mkes it sound like in their description.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

My first post, hopefully i dont get off on the wrong foot.

I just purchased my FEH 06 (used actually, bout 1k miles on it). It has the NAV + 6 cd changer under the passenger seat configuration. I would like to be able to attach both my iPod (60 gig iPod video) and get Sirius Sat Radio.

If i'm reading correctly, my only option will be to get the "x3" piece of equipment and use that to attach both an after market Sirius receiver and iPod... and i'll have to manually toggle back and forth on the x3 unit in order to switch between them.

Is this correct? or do i have a better option available that i'm missing?

Thank you for any help/info.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 AM

I think the X3 comes with a switch that you can mount somewhere to choose your source. In terms of sound quality, this is probably your best bet unless the PC-Pod can be integrated with some sort of audio switch to allow you to input the Sirius feed as well. I say that because the PC-Pod will allow control of your iPod from the radio controls whereas the X3 will not.

Quick Reply: Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands