Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Originally Posted by omatzyo
Hello all,

I've tried installing the patch both at the cd-changer (pins appear to line up correctly) under the seat, and behind the head-console (where the pins don't seem to line up correctly).

This is very unusual I think. Any ideas where I can go from here? REALLY appreciate your help!
Oops, I did not see that you had tried that already! sorry! At this point you may have to e-mail to PIE and ask them what is up, be sure to include the firmware revision (should be found on a sticker on the interface).

Old 12-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thansk for this thread, guys, just what I was looking for. I just got my 07 FEH 4WD on Monday and I'm already missing the hard-wired iPod system I had in my old car (iTrip just doesn't cut it). The FRDW/POD2 is now on my Christmas list but I have a follow up question...

Once hooked up to the radio, what ideas have people used to mount the iPod mechanically? It seems like the 12V accessory outlet on the right of the console would be a great anchor and place the iPod in a position with good visibility (I want to use the menus, not the CD1-6 playlists). I don't want to give up a cup holder or have the pod hidden in the glove box or armrest.

In my old Explorer I bought an Apple cradle and mounted to an angled block in the pen/change/french fry tray witht he cable routed up through a hole in the console so it would simply drop in for use, but there's less real estate in the FEH.

Anyone got a good solution?

Thanks,

Colin

Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

In my '07, I simply ran the PC-POD2's cable around the console along the floor(it's really long),tucking it under as it wrapped around along the driver side, came up under the dash and out along side the steering column just out the space that,s under the right side of the column.I put a vent mounted cradle (Target $7) in the AC vent right at hands reach from the wheel.It's in a good spot so as not to lower your head to operate.Also, nothing has been altered, or fixed permanantly.When you remove your Pod,you can tuck the couple of inches of cable back into the trim under the column. P.S. Mark the front of the connecton cable jack where you plug into the POD, since there's no mark, you dont want to force it in backwards mistakenly.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Kenest, I guess I'll wait until I have the wiring done.

The FRDW/POD@ is abvailable for $129.99 with free shipping at www.cardomain.com.

I also tried the local Ford dealer for the TripTunes accesory mentioned above. The kit is $50 but they wanted $300 for it to be installed. They also admitted that they'd never done one before...not encouraging.

Colin

Old 12-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast

Wiring??? Is this not an FEH w/ the 6 Disc changer under the passenger seat? The FRDW is designed to connect to that changer, to overide the CD functions to cnnect your IPOD to it. If this installation is connecting to the back of the "Head Unit" in the dash than my setup is not correct for you.Please check up.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the warning kenest. What I meant by 'wait until I have the wiring done' was that I'd install the converter, route the cable and then play with whatever cradle options I can find.

Yes, I did intend to get the under-seat connection as it seems so easy to install + I want to control my iPod direct (not through the changer). Judging by the image on cardomain.com (below), this one has a good 15 foot also, though I'm thinking about coming up from the passenger seat under the cup holders and out by the lower cigarette lighter outlet.

I'll post up again if I get stuck when it arrives.

Colin

Old 12-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, it was just like everyone said. I got the FRDW/POD2 for Christmas and it was installed 5 minutes! The cable was shorter than expeted but I routed in under the console and out the side of the small accessory bin, leaving just a short visible cable run to a mount on the vent.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast

I recently purchased an 07 FEH without the nav system. Will the FRDW/POD interface from P.I.E. still work with the stock 6 cd changer?

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast

I have an 07 MMH w/ Nav Radio and want to get the FRDW/POD2. I understand that this will allow me to control the iPod from either the CD controls or directly form the iPod? I use the iPod to listen to Audiobooks and Podcasts, so it would seem that I would need to be able to control the iPod directly.

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

JCobb - The FRDW plugs straight into the cable that comes from the 6 CD changer, the Nav should have nothing to do with it.

JBrockell - Yes, the iPod controls are all still active, with the exception of the volume, which is controlled by the head unit.

Quick Reply: Master MP3/Wiring Thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands