Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   MECS Pump Replacement (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/mecs-pump-replacement-22207/)

Bill Winney 07-24-2009 01:17 PM

MECS Pump Replacement

There were several threads that spoke of the OEM MECS pump failing on some of the early models at around 50k miles. Ordered the replacement unit and received it today.

Came as a kit: 5M64-8591-AB
Pump: 5M64-8C419-BB
Some other misc parts.

The pump is physically much smaller than the pump taken out. Comes with an attached mounting plate.

If anything of interest occurs on putting it I'll follow up this post.

Billyk 07-24-2009 06:54 PM

Re: MECS Pump Replacement

A couple of posted photos of this replacement would be interesting.

Bill Winney 07-25-2009 08:10 AM

It's now done and was so straightforward that I didn't think to take any. I'll go back and take some.

Two bolts, two hose clamps, one electric plug, drain & then refill & vent the transaxle. Piece of cake!

The only hard part was undoing the OEM hose clamps for the inlet & outlet hoses to the pump. (I hate those things!)

BTW the old pump was virtually silent and the new one makes an identifiable sound.

MyPart 07-26-2009 05:15 PM

Bill, were you proactively replacing your old pump or were you having problems with it?

Bill Winney 07-26-2009 06:12 PM

No problems, at 51k miles, so I decided to just do it instead of letting it fail on the road somewhere. Cheaper to do it myself than to have to pay someone else.

Got mine thru a Ford dealer in Nevada on line, a good price, shipping took three days.

MyPart 07-26-2009 06:31 PM

Fair enough!:) I would never fault someone for doing preventative maintenance if it helps them feel more comfortable with their vehicle. I do the same with all of mine.

Fellow Cobra owner, BTW. :)

EagleFan89 07-27-2009 06:11 PM

Cost me $667.70 when pump failed 3 hours from home, on a weekend of course. That does not count a weeks rental car for another $200.

Bill Winney 07-27-2009 07:40 PM

That's exactly why I replaced it at about the mileage that people were reporting. There were just too many stories of failure at around 50k miles.
I can take a hint. I was surprised, the old pump was a Bosch unit, thought those guys had a better reputation for quality.

Cost: Pump & shipping $187, done in the driveway not on the road. Downtime about an hour... those pesky OEM constant tension clamps always give me a run...

It was time to drain the MECS system coolant and replace it anyway (eg three years since new).

TriggerHybrid 07-27-2009 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney (Post 207403)
... & vent the transaxle .

Can you expand on what you did to vent the transaxle please. Thanks.

08MMHybridHappy 07-28-2009 08:29 AM

Does anyone know whether this is an issu that was corrected with later models? I have a 2008 - should I think about replacement at 50K miles?
Thanks in advance for your response.