MECS Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Early Adopter
Default Re: MECS Pump Replacement

The hardest part about this project was finding the bleeder valve on top of the transaxle housing.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tothemax
--- snip ---

3) I found the Dorman part on Amazon for $142.00, my Ford dealer sells the part for $277 + tax

I really appreciate all of the assistance from members... Dr. Google is a gift.
3) Look around --- My local dealer seems to always have the lowest prices for Ford genuine parts and has this pump for $167.50

I also echo a big Thanks for all the help I've received since buying my '05 FEH a year ago. Saved me a fortune!!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevewa
The hardest part about this project was finding the bleeder valve on top of the transaxle housing.

You didn't need to...the system is self-purging.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast

The only downside was I selected free shipping from Amazon, and the part took a week to arrive. Drove the vehicle last night seems OK, but have not done any highway driving yet.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Been driving it for a week and it seems to be working fine (knock on wood...).

Really appreaciate the feedback here, thanks!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just changed mine over the weekend using the Dorman pump from Amazon.com:
Amazon.com: Dorman 902-001 Engine Water Pump: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 902-001 Engine Water Pump: Automotive

The clips aren't necessary, nor was the tubing, but I put the tubing on a small section of hose I felt could use a bit more protection. LOL
Installation was a snap after I drove it onto my rhino ramps -- plenty of workspace underneath after removing the plastic bottom windage trays on passenger and driver side -- removed driver side because I changed the engine coolant while I was under there.

Also did the spark plugs (SP448) and serpentine belt using the following parts, in case anyone wants nice cheap prices and good quality parts:
Gates K060551 Multi V-Groove Belt : Amazon.com : Automotive Gates K060551 Multi V-Groove Belt : Amazon.com : Automotive
Amazon.com: Motorcraft SP-448 Spark Plug: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorcraft SP-448 Spark Plug: Automotive

I've used Amazon Prime for years now -- most of what I buy there is way cheaper than anywhere else, including our dogs' food.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 10-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

system double posted...

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 10-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 PM
Enthusiast

hi guys i just changed my mecs with a dorman 902-001 yesterday. it was running well yesterday ran it for an hour at 30-65 mph. then today the same problem stop safely now and i cant see the degas bottle circulating the coolant. from what i have read i did not purge the transaxle but i did put key on let it run and kept topping up until it would take no more. any advise as to what to check would be greatly appreciated. first thing tomorrow a.m. will check and bleed the transaxle.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One tart reply says this is self bleeding... Well, Ford wouldn't put that burp procedure in the shop manual if it weren't important. Sometimes self bleeding systems take awhile to do that. ...And in the meantime a bubble is blocking flow.

This is really simple: Pull the plug on top of the transaxle, fill the reservoir until water comes out the plug, put the plug back in.

Hardest part was finding the plug. This is a no sweat kind of thing. Be gentle tightening the plug back up, its not a high torque kind of thing.

This isn't like the complex bleed procedure on the brakes. That has to be done for a safe driveaway from the shop. But if you can take a few days and have a snow covered or gravel road you can bleed it yourself without their fancy machine by repetitive applications of hard braking causing the anti-lock feature to kick in... and it is thus self bleeding too...

Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 AM
Imported from Detroit

Brake fluid is considered to be a hazardous material, local laws may vary on its disposal. I had a bunch in containers and my city happen to have a special day that they took such materials at the local recycle center.

Not sure about just draining it on the ground as that might get you a citation if caught?

Quick Reply: MECS Pump Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands