MECS Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:26 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: MECS Pump Replacement

Now that I have 51,000 on my 2006 looks like I need to think about this also. I assume I will need or should have the factory service manual. I looked on the Helm site and it looks like it is $180! Thanks for the good write up.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I "think" only the 2005's had premature MEC pump failures.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I "think" only the 2005's had premature MEC pump failures.
Well, that's good to know. Thanks

Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As I recall the pump failures were noted in postings as across the years with the Bosch pump installed, not just 05s. So this would be 05s, 06s, & 07s. I believe that they changed the pump in the 08s & later

Econoline: Aha! Duct tape... that was the trick! My middle son was right, and he learned it from Boy Scouts, too.

Hey, the dealer I got the replacement pump through was Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas, NV. These guys had the best price I could find on the web.
Here's the info:

www.SilverStateFordParts.com

The part I ordered was: 5M6Z-8C419-A as I found on greenhybrid postings.

The part as received was: 5M64-8591-AB This is a kit with three items (four if you include the instruction sheet (which amounted to "remove the old pump & install the new pump...").

The pump itself was: 5M64-8C419-BB

They asked for my vin and apparently verified it (my FEH is an 06) so I am confident it was the right part. It's listed as a pump for the 08s. It was easy to put in (though working under the car without a lift can be a little challenging).

Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM

I heard, but have no way to verify, that this MEC pump was changed in 2006.
However, some early production 2006's may have the original model of pump, until the avail stock was used up.

HTH,
-John

Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 AM

By separate email another guy replaced this pump. With his scan gauge he monitored the new pump and compared it with the old one operation pattern.

Turns out that the old pump started and stopped based on MEC system temperatures. The new pump runs continuously and keeps the system temperature below 110ºF consistently (the old one would occasionally get up to 150ºF). That's why I didn't hear the old one running with key on but engine off.

Two things:
The old style motor, being designed for starts & stops, would be likely to have a higher failure rate. Motors that run steadily seem to just run and run and run.
With the new pump keeping electronic components cooler with coolant temps consistently below 110ºF they will probably last longer. I suspect that is why Ford elected to redesign the pump and make it a continuous run unit.

MY 2¢:
If you have the old style pump replace it. Your car will run better, although you will have to keep it awhile to see any benefit.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
MY 2¢:
If you have the old style pump replace it. Your car will run better, although you will have to keep it awhile to see any benefit.
Is there a definitive way of telling which pump we have without removing it first?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:31 PM

Who told you this?

I have a 2005 built 12/2004 and my original MEC pump ran continuously, and my water temp on that loop was almost always in the 80's. I got a new pump free of charge before the old one actually failed, because when I took it in it was making funny noise on a constant basis. ( well, with the key in )

-John E

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
By separate email another guy replaced this pump. With his scan gauge he monitored the new pump and compared it with the old one operation pattern.

Turns out that the old pump started and stopped based on MEC system temperatures. The new pump runs continuously and keeps the system temperature below 110ºF consistently (the old one would occasionally get up to 150ºF). That's why I didn't hear the old one running with key on but engine off.

Two things:
The old style motor, being designed for starts & stops, would be likely to have a higher failure rate. Motors that run steadily seem to just run and run and run.
With the new pump keeping electronic components cooler with coolant temps consistently below 110ºF they will probably last longer. I suspect that is why Ford elected to redesign the pump and make it a continuous run unit.

MY 2¢:

Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm thinking I need to replace this pump on my '06 Mariner with abougt 145k mi on it. It's taken to making a significantly more pronounced, sometimes a bit irregular groaning noise. However, I can't seem to find the part number indicated in the previous posts. Here's what I have found.

Looking at fordparts.com and doing a search starting with the vin and searching through "pump" until I found the right thing, I seem to find 2 things.

part # 18D473 Pump Assy 2.3LI4 16v Gas/Electric Dual Over Head Cam Hybrid Electric Motor Cooling Systems
$137.78
and

part # 8C419 Electric Motor Cooling System Water Pump 2.3LI4 16v Gas/Electric Dual Over Head Cam Hybrid Electric Motor Cooling Systems
$281.98

It has a diagram that seems to show the part in the correct place. I'm just not sure exactly which part I need.

See the diagram.

Attached Thumbnails MECS Pump Replacement-hybrid-pump.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast

My '05 Escape is in the dealer's service shop right now for this problem. They are quoting $850 for the pump repair, which will include reprogramming two control modules and cleaning the throttle body, and they recommend flushing the coolant for another $150. Does anyone know if the control modules do need reprogramming, and if the throttle body does need cleaning? Is any of this padding that isn't necessary?

My husband was considering doing the repair himself if we could get the part quickly. Do we need the service manual for the car in order to do this?

Quick Reply: MECS Pump Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands