MECS Pump Replacement

Old 07-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MECS Pump Replacement

Could you have another issue in that the hybrid battery is overheating? If so, then the blend door issue may need to be looked at. A scanguage II could provide some feedback on what your hybrid battery temperature is.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM

I had the thought that an extended warranty might cover the MECS pump replacement. But looking over the four available plans (PowertrainCare, BaseCare, ExtraCare, PremiumCare) it appears to me that none of them would cover the MECS pump. Anyone know differently?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

I just had my MECS pump replaced and was wondering what the temps I should be reading with a ScanGauge 2 Mco. I was reading 172 today and that seemed really high. Ambient temp was 94 andi was driving around 45 mph on the interstate.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by dyceskynes
I just had my MECS pump replaced and was wondering what the temps I should be reading with a ScanGauge 2 Mco. I was reading 172 today and that seemed really high. Ambient temp was 94 andi was driving around 45 mph on the interstate.

The Scanguage MeT value in my vehicle is never that high. It holds around 90-105 during the summer months. What year is your vehicle?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

2007 with 76,000 miles.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
The Scanguage MeT value in my vehicle is never that high. It holds around 90-105 during the summer months. What year is your vehicle?
MeT? Maybe I am looking at the wrong value then. I was looking at the Motor coil temp, I will try looking at the Motor Electrics Cooling temp.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast

I was looking at the wrong signal value, I hover around 108 or so with highest is 116.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dyceskynes
I was looking at the wrong signal value, I hover around 108 or so with highest is 116.
I've just started monitoring MeT, and mine runs about 10°F above outside ambient temperature. The thermal mass seems very high and the temperature needs about an hour of run time to stabilize at a final value.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: MECS Pump Replacement

Hey all!

I've been dealing with a very frustrating issue... One that appears to be a common issue for anyone who has a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. I recently purchased a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid and within two months started seeing the same issues you all stated above.

Months later I am now looking to fix the problem (money issues). I noticed I have no problems when I bypass the electric motor by running MAX AC or MAX heat (causing the Combustion motor to run constantly. After doing my research I've decided it could be the Pump that is causing my Escape to shut down.

I got a quote from the Ford Dealer here in town - Pump would be 330$, labor 220$ plus tax. So I'll be paying over 600$ by the time it's all said and done.

My question. Because I'm running low on funds - How hard is it to replace this pump if I were to purchase it from the NV site that was recommended prior. I'm not stupid when it comes to working on cars, but I'm no mechanic either and I don't do it for a living, so if it's relatively 'easy' I would feel comfortable doing it myself... if I were to have step by step instructions or even diagrams to pull me along the way.

I'm very frustrated by the issues I'm dealing with and although It's probably not recommended to do it myself, If I can save 400$ doing it I figure why not try right.

My mechanics in the area are 'afraid' to touch the electric motor because of the 'shock' factor... removing the pump - does that act on the batteries or cause any shock risk?

Thanks for the advice... anything helps.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

The dealer quoted you a price, but did you take it to them, and did they get trouble codes? Has anyone gotten trouble codes? Are you getting the high temp light on your dash before the car shuts down?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MECS Pump Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands