MECS 'Stop Safely Now' trigger temp

Old 04-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default MECS 'Stop Safely Now' trigger temp

Luckily I haven't gotten the dreaded "Stop safely Now" in the 1 1/2 years I've owned my '05 FEH. I kinda assume the MECS pump had been replaced before I got the vehicle (w/113K miles).
I was wondering if anyone knows what temp (scangauge -> MECS temp) would trigger this "Stop Safely Now" message?

Old 04-26-2014, 04:18 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MECS 'Stop Safely Now' trigger temp

OK, since no one seems to know what temp triggers this, can anyone (especially you warmer climate drivers) tell me what the warmest you remember seeing your MECS temp at?

Old 06-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It is a two step process.

Step 1

If M/E coolent gets too warm there is a check engine light but you can keep driving normally.

Step 2

If M/E coolent gets too hot (exceeds acceptible limits) the engine shuts down and you get "Stop safely now" message.

If you lose all fluid or simply lose coolent circulation temperatures can rise 10 degrees PER SECOND so many people jump to Step 2 in a matter of seconds and never realize there was a step 1. Step 1 could occur with a minor problem or overload.

I have only seen Step 1.
Whlie not knowing exactly, the trigger was about 185 to 195 degrees F.

I ran it up to 230F and never got to step 2 before parking and changing the pump a few days later.

Hope that Helps.

FYI "normal" is about 10 degrees warmer than outside air temperature.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
It is a two step process.

Step 1

If M/E coolent gets too warm there is a check engine light but you can keep driving normally.

Step 2

If M/E coolent gets too hot (exceeds acceptible limits) the engine shuts down and you get "Stop safely now" message.

If you lose all fluid or simply lose coolent circulation temperatures can rise 10 degrees PER SECOND so many people jump to Step 2 in a matter of seconds and never realize there was a step 1. Step 1 could occur with a minor problem or overload.

I have only seen Step 1.
Whlie not knowing exactly, the trigger was about 185 to 195 degrees F.

I ran it up to 230F and never got to step 2 before parking and changing the pump a few days later.

Hope that Helps.

FYI "normal" is about 10 degrees warmer than outside air temperature.
Thanks for the info. I was beginning to think no one ever looked at their scangauge when they were having problems.