Mercury Brand Ending this Fall

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Mercury Brand Ending this Fall

http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/02/auto...dead/index.htm

"
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford Motor Co. announced Wednesday that is killing off the slow-selling Mercury car brand after 71 years. The move had been widely expected as Ford has revealed few new products for the brand in recent years.
Winding down Mercury will allow the automaker to focus more attention on its mainstream Ford brand and, especially, its luxury Lincoln brand, Ford executives said.........."

Oh well - Escape Hybrid next time.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mercury Brand Ending this Fall

What effect could this have on the resale value of Mercury vehicles?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
What effect could this have on the resale value of Mercury vehicles?
Typically the resale value is negatively effected--especially because the dealers usually clearance out the last cars of the model year.

I'm kinda bummed to see Mercury go away (my first car was a '75 Cougar, and we love our MMH), but it was pretty silly for Ford to have two identical brands. What really bums me out though is that I don't care for our local Ford dealer, and I'm guessing the local LM dealership (which I like) won't survive on just Lincoln.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't get it. Basically they're just getting rid of the nicest optioned-out Ford models, which were sold by Lincoln dealers. Maybe they still can sell them, just get rid of a couple million a year in marketing crap.

I got an Escape instead of the MMH, mostly due to availability. That might have been Merc dealers fault. I'd rather have the MMH, and my Mountaineer was just a bit nicer than an Explorer Limited in my opinion.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My wife bought a red MM, primarily to have something different from mine. I must say it's better looking than the Escape line.

Attached Thumbnails Mercury Brand Ending this Fall-img_0105.jpg