Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

Are the Michelin Lattitude Tour tires (that everyone seems to be happy with) Low Rolling Resistance tires? Or is there an EcoPlus version that I should ask for?

In other words if I just say please install a set of Michelin Lattitude Tour tires, will they be LRR and give me equivalent MPG from my stock Conti EcoPlus tires? OR, do I have to ask for a Eco version of the Mich'es.

Per my local Discount Tire guy, the Conti Eco Plus tires are discontinued. He called his Continental rep while I was standing there and they recommended the standard Conti as a replacement.

Anyone have the Michelin's? Are they better for FE than our EcoPlus's? Do you like them better (quieter, ride, etc)?

I'm trying to be a FE ***** (is that bad?) but I really like the look of the Conti's. I don't like the way the Michelins look.

Last edited by turbotaguy; 03-11-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Default Re: Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

It does not say LRR on the Michelin Latitude Tour tires but they are and Ford had them special made for the '09 and up Escapes. As far as I know Michelin did not sell that size Latitude tires before Ford ask them to make them. I researched them when I heard Ford was going to install them on the '09 FEH because I wanted them for replacements on my '05 FEH. I ordered 3 Latitudes from my Ford parts department as soon as they were available and put two on the front of my '05 FEH. I also ordered a factory '09 FEH Limited Rim and mounted the other Latitude for a full size spare on my '09.

Before mounting the new tires I weighed the rims and tires of both the '05 and '09 and posted the results here and Hybridcars.com. This is just one reply in that thread so you may want to read the entire thread.

"I just got back from Goodyear who mounted the 2 Michelin Latitude Tours on the front of my '05 FEH. I brought a scale to weigh the '05 FEH Rim, so now we can compare the weights. The stock FEH Rim is 2.2 pounds lighter than my new '09 FEHL Rim which is 20.4 pounds. The standard FEH Rim weighs 18.2 pounds. If you add the new Eco Plus at 31 pounds, the total weigh is 49.2 pounds. If you replace the Eco Plus tires with the new Michelins, the standard FEH Rim and Michelin tire would weigh 47.6 pounds each. WoW! This is what my new tires and Rims weigh on the front of my '05 FEH now.
The FEHL Rim and Michelin Latitude Tour tires weighed 49.8 pounds, which is .6 pounds more than the stock FEH rim and the Eco Plus. The folks that got the '09 FEH non Limited models have the 47.6 pound tire and Rim set-up."
http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/tires-and-rims.html

The Latitudes will give you the best MPG because they are lighter. In fact, the Latitudes are all around better for stopping, handling and noise over the Eco-Plus. My mileage improved on my '05 FEH with just two Latitude front tires and I can't wait till the original back Eco-Plus need to be changed. They have ~65,000 miles with plenty of thread left.

GaryG

Old 03-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the info GaryG. I decided on the Michelins and had them installed late this afternoon. They are much quieter and the ride is not as harsh. I have them pumped up to 44psi and I'm ready to rock.

I think they were worth the extra money - also, being a 65k mile tire I should never have to buy tires again! I'll be rotating these things like clockwork - I'd like them to wear evenly all the way up to 65k.

I'll report back on FE - I was already well on my way (still have 1/2 tank to go) to a personal best tank (37mpg).

Next on my list....SCAN GAUGE....

Last edited by turbotaguy; 03-11-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Angry Re: Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

TOO BAD I didn't get to the post sooner.

My stock Continental Eco Plus Tires lasted me more than 76,000 miles.

Then I changed to the Michelin Lattitude Tour Tires.
The cost more and ONLY LASTED ME 1 year and 35,000 miles!

I'm a little pissed off that they cost more and are down to the wear bars ( 2mm ) of tread at 35,000 miles.

I got them from tire-rack and installed them at a Big-O tire so not sure how I go about getting a warranty claim. I do not remember Big-O taking down my mileage since I walked in with someone else's tire.

Ideas?!

I NO LONGER RECOMMEND THIS TIRE!!!!!!!

I kept them at max. sidewall of 44 psi for good MPG and the tires did not last at all! I rotated every 15k.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow....well, since the EcoPlus Conti's are discontinued I'm not sure what our options are.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

I looked at the Lattidues but ended up buying the Michelin LTX A/T 2, I Live in snow country and wanted something a little bit more aggressive. almost 1,000 miles and have driven in snow, sleet, rain and dry, sometimes in the same day. They are amazing. less road noise than I thought, almost like an all season. We got $70.00 rebate from Michelin and $50.000 back from Discount Tire for Using 6 month's same as cash. We had about 42K on the Conti's and they are the worst tire I have ever owned, constantly needing to be balanced and always leaking air around the bead. I am so glad Ford gave up on these as stock.

I have been buying tires from Tirerack for years on my sports cars but I had the LTX's installed by Discount in less than a half hour and they were over $100.00 cheaper than anyone. Same price as Tirerack plus mounting ect.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
TOO BAD I didn't get to the post sooner.

My stock Continental Eco Plus Tires lasted me more than 76,000 miles.

Then I changed to the Michelin Lattitude Tour Tires.
The cost more and ONLY LASTED ME 1 year and 35,000 miles!

I'm a little pissed off that they cost more and are down to the wear bars ( 2mm ) of tread at 35,000 miles.

I got them from tire-rack and installed them at a Big-O tire so not sure how I go about getting a warranty claim. I do not remember Big-O taking down my mileage since I walked in with someone else's tire.

Ideas?!

I NO LONGER RECOMMEND THIS TIRE!!!!!!!

I kept them at max. sidewall of 44 psi for good MPG and the tires did not last at all! I rotated every 15k.
Speaking from experience in dealing with another major tire manufacturer, give Michelin's customer service a call and complain about the tires. Do not go back to the place you bought them or had them installed.
1-866-866-6605
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (M-F)
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Sat.)
(Eastern Time)
They SHOULD refer you to a local Michelin dealer to have the tires looked at and then at least adjusted under the mileage warranty (if they just don't give a concession on replacing the tires). Dig up your paperwork on when you put the tires on (mileage) and any records of tire rotation (oil change place, tire dealer or self). At least that was my experience with the guys that fly blimps...

Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, FWIW from a newbie, my 06 FEH 2WD has new Firestone Destination LEs on it. I'm not normally a Firestone fan, but I'll give feedback on these as I get more used to the car. I plan to run them at 40psi, max is suppoesed to be 45psi. Should be interesting to see what works out.

Regards,
Bob

Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My dealer confirms the Continental Eco Plus is discontinued, but there are a few still in inventory around. I think I may order 4 and hold onto them.
I'm going to need them in less than a year unless my Michelin magically stop wearing.

FWIW the Eco-Plus were the least expensive of the dealer "recommended" options.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Firestone are decent. I have used sister tires, Bridgestone Desert Dueler in the past and will put them again on the Dakota when the current ones wear out.

As for Conti's, there a good reason they are discontinued, they suck. Buy 2 sets, one to poop on and another to cover them up. I'll stick by Michelins. Complain about the limited mileage and they will make it right. Never go on a forum to gripe, first stop is the manufacturer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands