Mileage in winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mileage in winter

Well I didn't want this to end up being a flaming thread between multiple members of the forum. I simply had a few questions regarding mileage in the winter and instead it has turned out to be a war of words and facts between certain posters.

*keeps his mouth shut from now on out*

Old 12-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Lively discussions are commonplace and expected. The important thing is that you gain the information that you are seeking, so that you can make the most of you FEH. Hopefully that happened?

Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have no doubt I get better mileage with a hybrid, if the vehicle is thoroughly warmed up. The battery needs to be above 48° (approx), sometimes difficult in the winter, but a highway trip of at least 30 minutes usually does it for me. During this time the HV battery charges and discharges to warm itself up, until it reaches 48°.

It's more difficult to maintain EV mode since the cat cools off much faster, the roads are usually less smooth, and things don't turn as easily, but it can still be done. Hybrids work a LOT better if you have a heated garage (I don't) since the battery might actually stay above 20° with one. FWIW, I see the outside temp is 5° again. Was fairly warm day yesterday at 17°.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Examine your wheels consistently with a tire pressure gauge and create sure they're at the company's suggested configurations. The most important thing is install an electric block heater to pre-heat your car's engine.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Well, well, I haven't been on this forum for quite awhile. This thread did seem to take a bit of a bafflegab bent, but within it all, having just read most of the thing, there was some 'hot air' (that might be useful in winter), some good facts and just maybe a wee wee tiny bit of rubbish here and there. Tiny I said.

Anyway, I switched and gave up on my FEH07, and with a good deal in town here, and my FEH07 having one 'lemon' prob, traded for a Fusion Hyrid 2010.

Phew, what a diff, way, way different programming, which was especially noticeable in my first winter. That is even on really cold days, after a short drive, and I mean short, like down to the end of my block, the engine would shut off, and if there was a bit of a charge and traffic was light (hate to be a 'fedora' driver), I could even drive several blocks in EV mode with the engine not much warmed up at all. Obviously they seem to have dropped that CAT temp stuff, or my program is off - hooray!

With summer around, it's not rare that I get over 60 mpg imp.

Ta,

Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranger01
Well, well, I haven't been on this forum for quite awhile. This thread did seem to take a bit of a bafflegab bent, but within it all, having just read most of the thing, there was some 'hot air' (that might be useful in winter), some good facts and just maybe a wee wee tiny bit of rubbish here and there. Tiny I said.

Anyway, I switched and gave up on my FEH07, and with a good deal in town here, and my FEH07 having one 'lemon' prob, traded for a Fusion Hyrid 2010.

Phew, what a diff, way, way different programming, which was especially noticeable in my first winter. That is even on really cold days, after a short drive, and I mean short, like down to the end of my block, the engine would shut off, and if there was a bit of a charge and traffic was light (hate to be a 'fedora' driver), I could even drive several blocks in EV mode with the engine not much warmed up at all. Obviously they seem to have dropped that CAT temp stuff, or my program is off - hooray!

With summer around, it's not rare that I get over 60 mpg imp.

Ta,
What was the lemon problem? Congrats on your new wheels!

I've considered switching, but I don't want the payments and I like the conveniences of entering/exiting an SUV - but with decent MPG.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

Ah yes, the Lemon Prob. For my FEH07 it was a leaky rear axle seal, that was fixed, on warranty again, and again, and, well you get the picture. They tried just changing the seal, the seal and a bearing, and once the seal, bearing and axle. All to no avail, within 2 to 3 mths of the repair it would start leaking again! So, with the warranty near to expiring, and those repairs, under warranty being at the cheapest, around $500 and at the upper end over a 1K$, and, calls to Ford with, 'And what about this continuing prob when the warranty expires.' Just bafflegab from them, including, well you could buy an extended warranty..... right. So we decided the vehicle, that we really really did like, except for that prob, had to go. I wasn't at all set on another hybrid, but just when we started looking I came across a very very good deal on the Fusion, and got a very good trade (this particular dealer, seems they could not sell this FFH2020 and were very keen to deal). Anyway, it's been great, love the car, and more fun to drive then the FEH, probably because of that nifty dash, but I guess newer FEH have that. I do miss the SUV and the room but greatly enjoy driving this car.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah that should have been FFG2012, tho I wonder what a 2020 anything will be like!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Enthusiast

Oops can't get it right, but it's late and I'm tired after laying a new paver sidewalk and working in the garden all day at 30DegC. FFH2010!!!!! There.