MMH Modulite Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default MMH Modulite Wiring

Hi All,
I bought a modulite for my tow wiring a while ago. I installed it using the wiring diagram from the shop manual. When I connected the 4-wire plug to the trailer, i noticed that it doesn't matter which which turn lights, left trailer light starts working. I couldn't figure out why. Is there anyone who made a wiring to MMH. I believe Walt had some experience. Can I get some color coded instructions, so that I can check my wiring? Could it be the modulite problem?I couldn't find any trouble shooting for it on the internet

Thanks
Onur

Old 05-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MMH Modulite Wiring

Originally Posted by ooral
Is there anyone who made a wiring to MMH. I believe Walt had some experience.
The Escape and the Mariner are very different in this one aspect. You need to go with the Mariner stuff. The reason being, is that the trailer requires a common brake and turn signal per side. The Escape has separate signals, and therefore, you need a Modulite adapter that also combines the two. The Mariner already has them combined, and therefore, you need a Modulite module that only re-powers them.

I bought the Valley wiring harness #30131. This plugs into the taillights on both sides, and then runs to a standard 4-pin trailer plug. However, I didn't stop there. I also got a Modulite #18193 to re-power the signals so that I don't screw up the Message Center.

I don't know the Mariner's wiring color coding, but I don't think that is required to know. One just plugs in the Valley harness into the tail light cables behind each tail light.

Also, for the Modulite, I had to run a wire up to the fuse box, located on the passenger side of the front console. Using a fuse tap, I was able to connect up to the required 10 amps.

Last edited by WaltPA; 05-21-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: MMH Modulite Wiring

An update on the trailer lights. I have a Modulite Protector. Modulite has Left Turn, Right Turn, Tail, Stop cables coming in and has Left Turn, Right Turn, Tail output. So the system combines turn signals and the stop light. MMH also combines the turn light and the stop light. So when I connected all inputs the modulite was getting confused. I disconnected the stop light input, everything became normal.

Thanks
Onur