MP3 and Sirius in 06' w/Nav

Old 12-31-2005, 02:11 PM
drive of the mariner hev
Default Re: MP3 and Sirius in 06' w/Nav

Hello all,

I just bought my MMH last Wednesday (I didn't order it like so many people did and I feel ashamed for that, but I'd been the only one on my dealer's list for a hybrid escape when it came in, and they called me about this).

My chief complaint right now is the same as the original poster in this thread. My cd changer only plays the MP3 cd as one long track with no sound. I've called Mercury regarding this and they confirmed it's supposed to be MP3 capable and they suggested I call my dealership.

I called them and the service department basically shrugged over the phone and said he wasn't aware of what could be the problem or the fix and suggested that I either bring it by or contact my salesperson for help.

I'm hoping someone out here has figured this out. I've tried a few things so far, thinking I was using 'unfinalized' discs - but that didn't change anything, I've tried using just the 'playlist' function when burning the disc. Now I'm going to try the HighMAT option from WMP to see if that does anything different. Though, I was wondering if anyone has got this fix yet?

Also, I see a lot of conversation regarding the sirius radio kit, anyone have information regarding a direct connection with XM instead? (I've had XM for about two years now and want to get a direct install instead of using the modulator.)

Thanks for the wonderful topics, the forum and any helpful discussion.

Rabe...

Old 12-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rabe
Hello all,

I just bought my MMH last Wednesday (I didn't order it like so many people did and I feel ashamed for that, but I'd been the only one on my dealer's list for a hybrid escape when it came in, and they called me about this).

My chief complaint right now is the same as the original poster in this thread. My cd changer only plays the MP3 cd as one long track with no sound. I've called Mercury regarding this and they confirmed it's supposed to be MP3 capable and they suggested I call my dealership.

I called them and the service department basically shrugged over the phone and said he wasn't aware of what could be the problem or the fix and suggested that I either bring it by or contact my salesperson for help.

I'm hoping someone out here has figured this out. I've tried a few things so far, thinking I was using 'unfinalized' discs - but that didn't change anything, I've tried using just the 'playlist' function when burning the disc. Now I'm going to try the HighMAT option from WMP to see if that does anything different. Though, I was wondering if anyone has got this fix yet?

Also, I see a lot of conversation regarding the sirius radio kit, anyone have information regarding a direct connection with XM instead? (I've had XM for about two years now and want to get a direct install instead of using the modulator.)

Rabe...

My local dealer uses a "Ford certified" (?) company in the Big City 70 miles away to do all warranty related work on the Ford radios. I called them and asked them about getting XM in my 05 FEH. Answer: the conversion kit is after market and still under development. Ended up going with a modulator.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Early Adopter

If you have the Navigation system, you do NOT have MP3 capability.

The CD changer under the passenger seat is a simple audio CD changer only. The only connection between the head unit and the changer provides 12v power, left and right audio input, and control signals to change discs and tracks, and provide track/time info back to the head unit.

Originally Posted by Rabe
Hello all,

Rabe...

Old 01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast

Rabe, you sound exactl like me. I was ticked to learn MP3 does not play right on these radios. It does not make sense with all the things aftermarket systems can do. I wanted the Sirrius controller as well and was told it exists but costs about $400. I finally went with a small tuner with built in FM modulator and rand the wires under the drivers side stering wheel and around the lip of the windshield. I mounted it with the included suction cup on my winshied and you can ot see any wires. The antenna was easy to install on the back roof with wires under the trim all the way to the back lift gate. I finally gave up on mp3 and bought the adaptor for my ipod 20gb. I lose the cd player but can fast forward and pick play lists from the head unit. If you have an ipod this is the way to go and basically creats my own radio station with direct connect clarity. Let me know if you have any questions or solutions I am not aware of. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast

As I've posted before, the Navigation radio on both the Mariner Hybrid and the Escape Hybrid is NOT MP3 nor Sirius compatible. Anyone who told you that the Navigation Radio is Sirius compatible is mistaken.

However, all OTHER radio options on the current model Mariner and Escape Hybrids are indeed Sirius and MP3 compatible.

If you're shopping for an Escape Hybrid, make sure that it says "Job 2 Order" on the sticker. This assures you of the improved MP3/Sirius compatible radio which was added on 6-October-2005. Older 2006 Escape Hybrids did not have the MP3/Sirius capability unless you bought the $600 "Audiophile" sound system. All Mercury Mariner Hybrids with either the basic or audiophile sound systems are MP3/Sirius compatible.

Sirius is available as a dealer installed option on both the basic and "audiophile" radios (but NOT the Navigation Radio) and comes with a complimentary 6 month subscription.

Fred E.

Last edited by feinstei; 01-02-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:57 AM
drive of the mariner hev

Okay everyone,

Here's my updates.

Today I called Visteon (from the link someone so kindly posted here) and they confirmed that the CD changer *is* MP3 capable, however the lady I spoken with wasn't able to give me details about why it's not playing the discs properly. She said there was a certain way it needed to be formatted. She wasn't sure how that was, but I was also given another number to call.

I'm on the phone with them now so I'll let you know what I find out.
(so far it's confirming that it's not satellite capable (as someone has been posting! - which, while sucky isn't horribly important to me to have it come up on the hybrid display. I've used a satellite receiver for the last two years, I'm sure I can continue using it. I just want to get rid of the modulator).

Now, as for the MP3, the new company didn't know the *specific way* it needed to be burned either. So, today I'm going to go to my dealership and tell my sales guy to discover the answer on that for me - or at the very least, who I can call to tell me that. Also, the guy at this company said he was going to check with his techs and see what they know.

That's where I'm at with discovering the solution to this problem. My next step is going to tell the dealership/Mercury that I paid for a vehicle with MP3 capability, I want a vehicle with it!

Rabe...

Old 02-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

Hello, I am sirrusly confused about the MP3 and Satillite radio for my new '06 MMH. I was told by my dealer it is MP3 and satillite ready. Yet it does not play the MP3. Reading through your postings and I am getting that what the dealer said is not true. the MMH is equiped with audiophile, nav system, 6 cd disc changer/jb.

Last edited by MarinerGreen; 02-26-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast

Does you MMH have the Navigation radio in it? If so, it is NEITHER MP3 nor Sirius Satellite compatible. If it has any other radio in it, then it will play MP3 CD's and is compatible with the Sirius add-on unit.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

yes, my 06 MMH has the audiophile, nav system, 6 disc changer.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Well, they really need to change their brochures and their website then. Both say that the MMH with the Premier package (ie NAV radio) is mp3 capable. It may seem like a minor thing, but they charge a premium for a nav radio that so far isn't living up to billing. I am very happy with the car, but I have the same tangle of wires I had in my 10 year old car. Garmin GPS plugged into one 12v outlet, XM radio and mp3 player plugged into another one with a splitter. (Yeah, ok, I don't HAVE to have the Garmin, but it works soooo much better than the factory one....... I can't give it up.) And once I drove off the lot the dealer lost all interest in me. Which reminds me.....I need to get their decal off the car!

Gail

Originally Posted by feinstei
Does you MMH have the Navigation radio in it? If so, it is NEITHER MP3 nor Sirius Satellite compatible. If it has any other radio in it, then it will play MP3 CD's and is compatible with the Sirius add-on unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MP3 and Sirius in 06' w/Nav

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands