Must turn key multiple times

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Must turn key multiple times

I've owned my 2wd 2008 FEH for about 30k miles and 2+ years; it currently has just over 100k miles. It used to start first turn, but has slowly gotten worse over the past year to the point where now I need to turn the key anywhere betweeen 1 and ~10 times to get it to start. It has a new battery (not battery pack, I mean the $90 starting battery), so that's not the issue.

First, I have two 2008 FEH's (2wd and 4wd) and I've owned the 4wd for 4+ years, so it's not user error. The 4wd still starts 1st time and I do nothing different.

When I turn the key to the accessory position all is normal. When I turn it to the start position, there is no clicks or any other sound, it's just like I turned the car off. Sometimes it starts just fine, other times it takes a LOT of turns to get it to start.

Outside temperature doesn't seem to be a factor, and I haven't noticed a difference in whether the car has been recently run (warm vs cold engine) but I cannot say for sure. There are no error codes or other indication that there is a problem, and the car runs perfectly fine once started.

** I have not changed the fuel filter or spark plugs yet (plan on doing that this week as I just hit 100k miles), my only guess right now is that it's not getting sufficient fuel pressure sometimes.

Anyone else experience this that can provide clues? Thank you!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Must turn key multiple times

The high voltage battery is the one that actually turns over and starts your Escape. The 12 volt one (the one you replaced) basically powers a few relays that enable the HV battery to start the vehicle. I suspect one of those relays is getting flakey. They're located in a black plastic box just to the rear of the 12V battery. You could try pulling them out one by one and checking for corrosion and re-seating them.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by killernsx
... When I turn it to the start position, there is no clicks or any other sound, it's just like I turned the car off. Sometimes it starts just fine, other times it takes a LOT of turns to get it to start.
This sounds like your ignition lock cylinder or steering column wiring has an intermittent connection problem, especially if turning the key does absolutely nothing, then after multiple attempts suddenly works fine like there was no problem. I suppose it could still be a relay or something similar though.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First take apart the 12v connections at the battery and where they connect to the ground point and clean them up. Then find the relay that picks up to start the engine and clean up those.

If that doesn't help then do the lock cylinder job.

Spark plugs, fuel filter, and fuel pressure are not part of the problem. If they were the engine would turn over but not fire. This is an electrical issue in the circuit(s) that cause the engine to spin for starting.

You might check the fuses too, sometimes they can get corrosion on the spade lugs. Usually just pulling them out & reinstalling them will make a difference. Is the cover on the engine compartment fuse/relay block sound? If not it might be corrosion in one of the circuits there.

Last edited by Bill Winney; 01-17-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

I have had a similar Key problem with my 2008 MMH for a few months but due to an incredibly busy schedule I haven't taken it in yet for service..

Part of the reason I haven't taken it in is because I found that if I push the key in at start it starts..

which is also how I narrowed it down to the lock cylinder.

to start it every time I put it to start and then push the key in,.. it isn't hard enough to break the key (I hope),... but it takes a bit of pressure to get it to connect..

NOTE:.. I do not try to turn it more once it is in the start position but actually just push it into the key slot harder. twisting it in harder would just break the key.

as I have another more pressing problem now.. I have started a list for the dealership. as it is still under the Ford extended warranty most if not all my problems should be paid for ..

I will try to post the dealers fix..

Steve

Old 02-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Fuses/relays: I've taken the advice here and swapped all the relays over to my other escape and both cars exhibit the same behavior, so it's not the relays (at least not the ones under the hood). I've pulled the fuses and all are not blown, and none show corrosion.

Bill - Right.... changed the fuel filter, no difference.

I think Rob & Steve nailed it... seems to be related to the key lock cylinder. I've been following Steve's advice and pushing the key in (then jiggling it a little bit), this starts it everytime. I also have the extended warranty, so I'm just waiting until there is something else to fix to save on the deductible.

Steve - When you do take it in, I'd love to hear what the fix was (and cost without warranty). Thanks!

Thanks for the help everyone.