Musty A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Default Musty A/C

Symptom: Musty odor

Situation: A/C is in the re-circulate position. ICE off.

Anyone else have this problem.

The smell, symptom, goes away if the dial is switched from re-circulate to outside air. Smells like a musty washcloth.

It must not be in the evaporator/cooling coil because, if it were there, the smell would still be there after switching to the outside air. No I don't have the cabin filter installed - but as I see it that is for cleaning 'Out-Side Air' coming in anyway.

This happens only when the ICE is off and the evaporator coils start losing their cooling ability since the compressor is not pumping cold coolant thru it and the output air gets warmer.

Last edited by VietVet'67; 06-08-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Musty A/C

Yep. I've had this occur a couple times. Smells sour and musty in my case.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

The musty smell comes from bacteria build-up in A/C. In Europe if you mention that to the dealer when you take the car, they use a spray to get rid of the bacteria. It should be available here.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ooral
The musty smell comes from bacteria build-up in A/C. In Europe if you mention that to the dealer when you take the car, they use a spray to get rid of the bacteria. It should be available here.
Onur -

That was my thinking also, about the bacteria, and I don't get that smell (the particles are probably still there) while the air is still cool - just when it starts to warm-up.
Might try some no-scent Lysol or something - really don't want to have a strong smell permeating the whole car - the '05 still has that 'New Car' smell. Haven't even used any kind of protectant on the leather surfaces because of that.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

Check this link. When you mentioned it I realized that I have the same problem, not severe yet though.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/14984
Onur

Old 06-08-2006, 02:08 PM

Phillip, I ran into a repair of all the different A/C ordors in the Escape Shop Manual. In the A/C odor section regarding musty ordors, there is a spray they recommend and it is applied dirrectly to the evaporator core. It is a procedure of removing the blower motor to gain access. They also talk about using the heater to dry up moisture on high fan using outside air for 25 min. They do not recommend spraying inside the cabin.

Good luck!

GaryG

Old 07-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

OK - Still got the problem with the musty A/C (see earlier post). I have read all I can find about the causes and solutions. I think I might have a problem with the condenser drain line being stopped up. I never see any puddle of condensation on my garage floor like I have always seen from all my other vehicles, it must have to pee reallllll bad . But if this is the problem, generally the water ends up in the floor pan and the carpet is wet - not happening.

Does anyone have a shop manual showing where the drain line should exit - I might just try and clean it out from the bottom and see if that will help? I know if mold and/mildew have built up (from the smell - a ton) I will have probably take it in and let them pull and clean the whole unit.

If anyone can help with a drawing - scanned pict etc I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks -

Old 07-21-2006, 02:17 PM

Hi Phillip

If a plugged line is your problem, check with your dealer to see if it's covered under warranty. If it is, they should treat the odor and check for further damage. The drain hose maybe pinched, and that is a manufacturing defect that should be covered.

GaryG

Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: Musty A/C

I have a 2005 escape 4wd only 43,000 miles. Every summer i have to take it to the dealer to do something about the smell. Some times it gets so bad i have to turn the air of comleatly and roll down all the windows. The dealer has deoderized it 4 times,removed the coil 1 time cleaned it, put in a new coil 1 time, and unpluged the drain hose (so they tell me) 2 times. The last time they tipped the drain pan to help. It is going back to the dealer next week to have it looked at again.
One guy at the dealer told me i may just have to live with it. I did not pay 30,000.00 to have somthing smell this bad every year. You would think by now thay would have it fixed. The tell me ford is not reporting any one else with this problem. I find it hard to belive when mine will smell every year.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Un-Enthusiast

I have a 2005 and have not had a problem. Smells like old shoes sometimes, but maybe I should take my gym bag out of the car when i get home...

Quick Reply: Musty A/C

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands