My dream modification....(realistically speaking)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default My dream modification....(realistically speaking)

OK, other than a PHEV kit that would reduce my gas usage to about ZERO, the perfect mod in my mind would be an ICE OFF switch. How much fuel could be saved by having a switch/button to shut off the ICE when approaching a light, coasting downhill, sitting at a light with a low SOC? I realize I "could" turn the key off, but with the brains in the Hybrid system (and the safety concerns of doing so) I shouldn't have to. I'm not talking about overriding the system, just nudging it into EV mode sooner than the computer controls would. Why not just a button that does what the computer would do if it could predict upcoming situations? I know that the light up ahead is RED and that once I hit the brakes/L that the engine will shut itself off shortly thereafter....why not let me make that choice? Same goes for coasting downhill. I know how long the hill is, I know I don't need the engine running....why make me shift to L, slow down below 40mph and go into EV mode. Just let me turn the ICE off myself.....PLEASE!

Someone out there please make this happen.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:33 AM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My dream modification....(realistically speaking)

Technically speaking, this button shouldnt be very hard to implement at all. If we could somehow get the software code for the FEH/MMH, this would be a easy to do: so instead of turning the ICE off when braking/L, the software would turn the ice off when braking/L/button.

I would add to the wish list a button for turning off the ICE completely, like some cars in Europe do. I like to know how fast can an FEH/MMH goes on level road on motor only without the software kicking in the ice ~35mph (so far I can only get to ~31mph without ice on my 07 MMH - very very slow acceleration).

Old 08-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by occ

I would add to the wish list a button for turning off the ICE completely, like some cars in Europe do. I like to know how fast can an FEH/MMH goes on level road on motor only without the software kicking in the ice ~35mph (so far I can only get to ~31mph without ice on my 07 MMH - very very slow acceleration).
I don't really need to turn ICE off completely. I'd be afraid to push the electric motors and battery too hard as they were not really designed for that kind of usage. I mean, the ICE only comes on as needed anyway, so I'm not that interested in an "EV only" button like the int'l Priuses have. It is not just a straight speed determination for ICE activation, but a power draw. There is actually a wattage draw (I think it is 1400 or 1500) that will bring on the ICE. Just being able to shut it down when not needed would be much more beneficial in my mind.

As for max EV speeds for the FEH/MMH, it is reported to be about 40mph though hard to achieve. First of all, until you are well broken in, you won't be able to exceed about 25mph before ICE comes on. Now that I am over 3,000mi I can hit about 35mph if I am very careful on level surfaces. My MAX EV speed was about 40mph. I hit it the other day on a slight decline/level road after braking in L. I was then able to maintain 40mph in EV with gentle pressure on the accelerator. I don't think you can accelerate to 40mph from a stop in EV though.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

I like the idea of an ICE off button to gain a little extra efficiency especially in the situations TimK states, downhill, approaching stops, etc. It could be designed like the Cancel button works on the cruise control. Older Fords didn't have the cancel button you had to tap your brakes to turnoff cruise. I hate doing that since it sends a signal to approaching cars that you hit your brakes. The Cancel on cruise lets you coast to a stop without having your brake light come on. So why not an ICE off button. Of course the computer would override this in situations where it could not occur, low SOC, during warmup, etc. but in situations where all systems were okay shutting off the ICE could gain some MPG.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

...would be heads up display of rpm, mpg, mte, etc....

Steve
Oregon

Last edited by spud; 08-18-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:10 AM

I agree 100% with Tim, I have always wondered why we can't have that switch myself......

~John

Old 08-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd like one too but it wouldn't be worth voiding our hybrid warranty for it.., so I'll just settle for the the old soft shoe/tap tap. It would be interesting to see if any Ford hybrid engineers have such a switch..
Mike