My month old 09' met a deer last week.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default My month old 09' met a deer last week.....

I've been a bit to disgusted to post this up but after 7 months of waiting and only 3-4 weeks of driving it I hit a deer last week on the way home from work...still a bit in shock..not much I could do about it, did slam on the brakes but it's a deer running scared and I was going probably almost 50mph...what can you do. Hit the passenger side headlight, blew that up, broke the bumper cover and grille in half, dented the fender and did who knows what behind the headlight..that's what's got me worried...headlight pushed in and twisted the core support, shifted the inner fender...ugh, I don't want to think about it...few things hanging on broken brackets behind the headlight radiator area also...that core support is going to be the main repair...that's not going to be a small job Then the fun of matching up black pearl slate...I've done my share of painting and pearl sucks to match up...
Only positive thing about it is I bought it out of state and they require a front licence plate so my dealer installed one...drilled 3 holes in my bumper...my state doesn't require front plate so I'll get a new bumper with no holes in it now...yippie...

Watch out for the deer!

Last edited by Slick; 12-10-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My month old 09' met a deer last week.....

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, Jason. Glad you're OK though.

Hope they can fix it to your satisfaction.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I feel for ya!

Ours is in the shop right now for the same thing. SWMBO hit one of our little coastal blacktail dead center, so don't have the fenders out of line though.

Broke up the grill, core, bumper, one head light, bent the condenser and radiator. Put a wrinkle in the hood and broke a fog light. She did this in a Nissan Frontier a few years back too, same cost. Deer = $1500.

I hate it when that happens!

Old 12-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: My month old 09' met a deer last week.....

This all makes me want to add a bigger grill.... maybe something like this!

It MIGHT help if I hit some little old lady here in the O.C.

Last edited by way2muchkc4u; 12-11-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: yea forces are hard...But not on the Jedi!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by way2muchkc4u
This all makes me want to and a bigger grill.... maybe something like this!

I would help if i hit some little old lady here in the O.C.
I've got to say plowing into something that weights a couple of hundred pounds at 55 miles an hour.... is going to bend that grill up and still raise heck with the car underneath.

I think those things are meant to deflect brush and stuff at low speeds... not deer (or grandmas) at high speed.... there's a LOT of force in that kind of collision.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I've got to say plowing into something that weights a couple of hundred pounds at 55 miles an hour.... is going to bend that grill up and still raise heck with the car underneath.

I think those things are meant to deflect brush and stuff at low speeds... not deer (or grandmas) at high speed.... there's a LOT of force in that kind of collision.
Yea ment it MIGHT help... Grandmas can get heavy in these parts too...

Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Deer can do some serious damage but in my case this time at least something like that would have helped alot I think...I don't like the look of the ones like that covering up the headlights but the center grille only ones look OK to me. Considering this was a small deer those pipes would have deflected alot of it...still would have needed paint I'm sure but after talking with the bodyshop yesterday he noticed even more stuff that I hadn't....none of it is major damage but it's all gotta be fixed...stuff like the hood...not damage but the fender pushed into the edge and ground on the paint so that has to be painted...I noticed the headlight pushing in twisted the core support but the radiator is bent a bit so that has to go also...he's doing a full teardown to do the estimate today...not sure I want to stop by to see it all taken apart

Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Slick
Deer can do some serious damage but in my case this time at least something like that would have helped alot I think...I don't like the look of the ones like that covering up the headlights but the center grille only ones look OK to me. Considering this was a small deer those pipes would have deflected alot of it...still would have needed paint I'm sure but after talking with the bodyshop yesterday he noticed even more stuff that I hadn't....none of it is major damage but it's all gotta be fixed...stuff like the hood...not damage but the fender pushed into the edge and ground on the paint so that has to be painted...I noticed the headlight pushing in twisted the core support but the radiator is bent a bit so that has to go also...he's doing a full teardown to do the estimate today...not sure I want to stop by to see it all taken apart
I think the one posted looks great myself and I would consider one if mileage was not a concern for me.

I avoided an accident yesterday while on the phone with my wife. Thank God for the hands free cell phone in the Nav and Sync system. I was able to catch a Honda CRV in my rear view that just miss my rear drivers fender and bumper and was able to see it go up on a curb then back behind me. I assume the guy was drunk and I didn't want to be in an accident so I floored my FEHL and got over in far left turn lane and stopped to let him go by me. The car in front of me before I got out of the drunks way was stopping at a stoplight. That guy was not so lucky because the drunk crashed into the rear of his vehicle. That would have been me if I had not got out of his way. I have the Black Pearl also and all I was thinking of was the comment in this thread about matching the paint. The drunk then put his CRV in reverse and backed up like he was going to hit and run. Still on the phone and telling my wife what was happening she wrote down his tag for me just in case, but the drunk stayed put.

I love this voice command hands free system! If I had to hold my cell phone while getting out of the way who knows what would have happen. The poor guy that got hit was not so lucky and I feel for him.

GaryG

Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by way2muchkc4u
This all makes me want to add a bigger grill.... maybe something like this!

It MIGHT help if I hit some little old lady here in the O.C.
I know one place where this will help... In mall parking lots when you are driving in EV mode and people don't look for you since they don't hear you...

A co-worker thought I was kidding when I mentioned this. Then I made him drive my 05 FEH for a food run. He thought differently after he came back...

Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Sorry to hear about the deer strike. But glad you're okay!

Quick Reply: My month old 09' met a deer last week.....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands